1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Other than Daniels' game winning 3, the biggest play in game 3 might have been Harden's leadership.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Geronimo, Apr 26, 2014.

1. mvpcrossxover

mvpcrossxover Member

What else is harden going to do to?

He knows he's a turnover prone player also and he knows how it feels.

2. willwmc

willwmc Member

The OP didn't say Harden was mentally tougher than Lin, Just made a point about Lin, no comparison on their mental toughness. Cool Down, Chill.

[​IMG]

3. strifed169

strifed169 Member

da **** is Mcfail doing?

anyway Harden gets props for that

4. N/A

N/A Member

except later that night, according to a tweet by Ben Golliver, he threw Lin under the bus saying he should've held it so...

5. Clarinetmonster

Did they ask him why he coughed up the ball on the last play? Hmm, who can he throw under the bus for that gem....

6. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

He wasn't wrong. It was a smart and stupid play. It was smart, and would have been incredible if it went in. It was overly aggressive at the time and considering the lead, and he ended up missing it. The smart play was to hold on to the ball, they had possession and the lead.

Hellooooooo LOF. How about we keep this thread positive? The world isn't against your hero.

He didn't compare the two, you're overreacting. Secondly, I like Lin but he definitely is prone to losing his confidence due to poor mistakes. If Harden had the typical reaction he was making for the past 2 seasons (a stare down), things likely would have ended up a little different. It's just true. Props to Lin for rounding up his near-turnover and completing the game winning pass.

#26 seclusion, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  7. tkrieger

tkrieger Member

McHale thought a foul should have been called on the play....... He went to Joey Crawford for an explanation.

8. whozee

whozee Member

I liked the old Harden, the one who looked pissed when Lin stuffed up but scores 35pts on 18 shots..

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Just being a LOF is reason enough for them to call out Harden...:rolleyes:

10. Fighton

Fighton Member

He wasn't trying to help Lin keep his confidence. Lin was pretty upset about the non call (Lilliard reached in but didn't get called) and harden was simply calming him down so he won't get t'ed up. Good job managing the team either way. We've seen what Lin acts like after crucial turnovers and being animated and pissed wasn't it.

11. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

One thing about Lin... Dude gets fouled a ton without it getting called.

I'm pretty sure on the play in question the TNT guys said something about "no foul there".... Um... Ok... So it's okay for your defender to reach across you, turn his body sideways, reach for the ball across you, and bump you?

From his first play where he gets bumped from behind, almost loses the ball, recovers to score to that one at the end, he is always getting fouled, and rarely getting called.

12. fattz

fattz Member

The biggest play of the game even bigger than Danials's 3 was the pick n roll out of the high post. More of that please with 3 point shooters for spacing.

13. justbuckets

justbuckets Member

It's almost like the league is trying to compensate for all the calls he got during linsanity lol

14. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I can't believe our standards for Harden's leadership are this low. He takes no responsibility for not stepping up his game, for in fact regressing compared to Portland's leaders. So he doesn't get angry at his teammate for making a bad play (we think) and that is the leadership play of the game besides Daniels calling for the ball with enthusiastic confidence in clutch time? SMH.

Again, to me, leadership is what you're doing off the court and between games to mentally prepare you and your teammates, not just showing ONE instance of encouragement to a player when they need it, which is what leaders do ALL game ALL season (Battier).

#34 Tuk88, Apr 27, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2014
  15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I'm no Harden hater and have watched him from game 1 of his rookie season.

He is NOT a leader and never will be. He doesn't have that programming. His effort to calm and encourage a distraught Lin after the blown layup and Batum's 3 was no big deal at all. Don't give him too much credit for that.

In fact, if you have to reach this far down for an example of leadership from Harden, my point is proven.

16. jason330i

jason330i Member

Once the league decides you are not a superstar, you will not get superstar calls.

17. Tuk88

Tuk88 Contributing Member

I do have to agree with that. Harden IS a leader when it comes to 'no big deal'. He's just passing that on to Lin to apparently get the game's leadership award in a few people's minds. It also explains a lot of other things (ie not being fully prepared for games 1 and 2, and still catching up).

I am also not hating on Harden, but we want to be a championship team don't we? He has to change his mindset IMO, and fast.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I noticed that too. That was great. I hope Harden has grown up.

Does anyone know what Harden said to Lin?

Harden: Hey, Jeremy. Don't try to do too much. Next time just give the ball back to me and you'll be fine. :grin:

19. adobo

adobo Member

These are a bunch of young players that really support each other and have there backs. Harden is still young, and his learning to becoming the leader of this team. Props to him.

20. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Actually Harden did end up taking responsibility for his play. It was late but the reporter on ESPN talked about how Harden told her he had played terrible, and they couldn't win if he did that.

It also wasn't just that Harden didn't get mad, it was that he actively took it upon himself to try and calm Lin down. Then he showed that he had confidence in Lin by passing him the ball to shoot a three the very next play (sadly Lin missed that three, but it all worked out in the end). Whether you like it or not, that's leadership. Harden could have created his own shot, or got someone else the ball. Instead he gave it to Lin. Through his actions Harden showed Lin that he still had faith in him. That should mean something to Lin when the best player on the team gives up a chance for him to shoot the ball, to get Lin a shot after a possibly extremely costly error by Lin.

Good Job Harden. I was really down on him after games 1 and 2. But he's showing me things to be happy about again.

2 people like this.