1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

McHale: lineup will change for Game 3 tonight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Commodore, Apr 25, 2014.

1. rurban

rurban Member

Now it's official: TT
    Osik will play over TJ

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

If this just means he'll be in foul trouble even earlier....

:mad:

3. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Hope Howard wears Aldridge out but hope the refs don't whistle Howard out before that!

4. clutz

clutz Member

The benching of Terrence Jones by the head coach Kevin McHale

5. archinkent

archinkent Member

[​IMG]

6. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Their perimeter defense is more effective than ours. We are CONSTANTLY off on rotations. Their shooters knock down perimeter shots at a higher clip than ours do. Apples & oranges.

7. TL

TL Contributing Member

I can't believe we are playing around with our starting line-up in game 3 of the playoffs. Just reeks of desperation, which of course we are.

I wonder if the team sees this as a good coaching move or a vote of no-confidence

8. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

The Rockets changed their starting lineup in the 1995 playoffs going into game 5 against the Spurs. They'd just blown a 2-0 lead by losing their next 2 home games (like the 2005 Mavs series), and Horry was moved to PF (with Elie going to SF) to account/adjust for Rodman's help defense on Hakeem and to get more 3 point shooting.

That lineup never lost another game in the playoffs (won the next 2 games against the Spurs, and all 4 against the Magic).

Adjustments are a huge part of the playoffs... what works in the regular season against the Pelicans, Bucks, and Eastern conference does not mean it works against a better opponent who game-plans to beat you 4 out of 7 games.

9. HookemHorns1250

I agree with your game plan...but executing it is another ball game. Again, we are horrible at rotating on defense, a lot of it starting with Harden.

You are asking Harden/Parsons to box out Lopez on the boards, that's just not going to happen. Again, I agree with your assessment, but can the Rockets actually pull it off? I don't believe so. We aren't defensively sound enough to pull off a solid rotating double team.

10. strifed169

strifed169 Member

Imagine how good this team would be defensively if the starting lineup:

Howard, Asik, Parsons, Lin, Bev

11. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

It would be crap.

12. basketballholic

I'm just not as worried about Lopez going over/around Harden/Parsons on the glass when we have both Asik and Dwight in the game. Remember, Dwight is inside. The only reason there is a switch is because LaMarcus has driven inside on Asik. If he puts up the shot, Asik is at the rim along with Lopez and Harden/Parsons. That's a world of difference from Lamarcus beating Jones or Dwight and not having another big in there.

13. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

This seems a bad idea, but if it works Mchale is my hero.

14. SooneRockStro

SooneRockStro Member

Great news that TJ is out of the starting five. With TJ and Harden in at the same time our defense was 40% suckage, now it's only 20% suckage (Harden).

15. HookemHorns1250

You'll still need a solid rotation from Parsons and Harden and I just don't see it. I love your idea don't get me wrong, but I'm just talking about actually executing it.

I would love a double for LaMarcus as much as you, and hopefully we have a different game plan for defending tonight.

16. TL

TL Contributing Member

From your fingertips to the scoreboard's ears. I don't remember it feeling so desperate back then, but it was 20 years ago, and I don't remember a lot of things from my teen years.

I want it to work, but this feels like the gimmick we abandoned at the beginning of the season. A gimmick that seemed like it should work on paper, but didn't work in practice. Trying what seemed to not work duringb the season feels weird, but fingers crossed.

17. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

Won't make a lick of difference whether we have Omer or TJ guarding LMA. If we don't double we are screwed.

18. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

They take a contested shot and Lopez cleans up the glass since your perimiter rebounders stink.

We need to shut everyone else down. That is the key to me. If we can keep Lillard under 20 and keep Matthews and Batum in single digits and keeo Lopez off of the glass there is a better chance of success. LMA kills us when we lose and when we win.

Have Dwight abuse Lopez until they switch Aldridge and attack him in the post and keep him active in pnr's. Make him carry the load on offense and wear him down on the other end.

19. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd like to see a bit of DMo tonight. If for nothing else then to give six more fouls on Aldridge.

20. basketballholic

We'll see soon enough.