1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bring Back Gundy! <clap clap clap clap clap>

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DarkHorse, Apr 24, 2014.

1. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

McHale doesn't deserve to be the head coach, making JVG his assistant would be a massive insult.

That's like saying "it's okay that you did nothing all year, we even have proof. no problem though, here's a new assistant to do your job for you!"

2. dragician

dragician Member

he's got my vote.

3. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I don't want to look at your past history. I don't even like looking at your present. As long as you acknowledge JVG is not the coach for this team you are my man. Now go pine for Phil, that's never happening either.

4. TechieOne

TechieOne Member

For his defense sure.. but I really hated the slow grind it out offense that we had.

5. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

And why not?
    This team fits his MO perfectly. Team set with stars, and with a lame duck coach that couldn't get over the hump.

I hear him and Dolan aren't exactly having a party in NY.

6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I don't think there is a GM in the history of sports that would hire a coach/manager to coach/manage a team that was fundamentally opposed to their core beliefs.

It's not about wanting to interfere with the coach, it's the coach being completely against (not understanding even) the philosophy of the GM.

7. dragician

dragician Member

coaches who are running around telling what players need to do in every play - offense and defense, don't win championships.

8. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Morey didn't fire JVG. Les did...Morey advised Les that he wanted him back.

9. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Larry Brown? Iverson did have his best years when Brown was the coach. He may be a bit old but at least can improve the defense.

10. edc

edc Contributing Member

Mister J. Van Gundy was a mediocre head coach (0.575 Career, 0.500 in the playoffs), responsible for one of the worst playoff losses in Rockets history (Game 7, Dallas 116 - Houston 76), whose "style" of deflating the basketball might've worked in 1914, but has no place in the current game.

11. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Oh mrm, you didn't... :p
    Please no captain wanderlust. I can't wait to have him pining for other coaching jobs while we're in the middle of the playoffs (his 1 ship' withstanding).

12. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I'm not going to address the rest of that, but to blame game 7 on JVG when we got screwed over by refs in multiple games, and when over half of the team was in their mid to late 30s. I just...I don't know what to say to you.
    You don't remember Sura basically being on life support? Our go-to defender being Ryan Bowen? Any of this ringing a bell?

13. hooroo

hooroo Member

JVG molded him into a lesser Ewing. Under Rudy Yao would've been a far greater version of Rik Smits and maybe still playing today.

14. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Yes I'm reaching but I'll take a hs coach at this point. Isn't he coaching college? I doubt he leaves that to come back to the nba. To think it took me this long to realize how bad McHale is. I guess I just thought out talent would overcome any incompetence on the sideline. Needless to say my top picks for next hire outside of the Van Gundy brothers are:

1. Hollins
    2. Vogel (if he gets fired)
    3. Karl
    4. Sloan-does he even want to still coach? Isn't he working with the Jazz's from office?

15. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

We can debate this, but there's literally no way Yao would be playing today. Those injuries would have happened JVG or no. You think Andrew Bynum or some other klutz wouldn't have accidently stomped on Yao's foot by now? Not to mention, he'd probably be in China playing basketball this second and flying back to the US on "off" days for the playoffs. (this is a joke, if you missed that)

16. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

First thing that came to my mind reading this thread is that JVG would never let Harden get away with his lack of effort on defense.

He would tighten ship but you can expect a sometimes stagnant half-court type of offense. I remember those JVG days well being a Knicks and Rockets fan.

17. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

I feel ya man. As much as I dislike the idea of Sloan coaching here (I hate the Jazz...for...ever), I can't deny he's 8,000 times the coach Mchale is.

18. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

Stan, I've said that he has been there with Dwright. not Jeff, his method is outdated.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

So it sounds like you think the GM should have final say over everything. Philosophy, style of play, who should play, who shouldn't, etc. So let Morey coach then. He wants to influence and decide all that, let him coach.

Oh wait, he wants all that but we're not gonna put any of the blame on him. LOL

Well, good luck getting a good coach in here and not a yes man like the current coach.

Oh well.

20. mrm32

mrm32 Member

He would have benched Harden no question. And I don't think our offense would be stagnant. People don't seem to realize how little offensive power we had when JVG was coaching. Add to the fact Yao is not a run and gun big man like Dwight. I truly believe JVG would adapt to Howard's style of play and not have us force feed him on every play like he did Yao. I think the offense would be a lot more fluid.