1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Which Coach should we get to replace McHale?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SHARKLIN-SOUP, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

he is just as bad as Mchale

i think Thibs is the clear choice

2. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

Any coach that can draw plays

3. ryebread

ryebread Member

4. ryebread

ryebread Member

brooks is terrible. nothing without durant. we dont have a durant.

5. pandaboy99

pandaboy99 Member

Im starting to think "Play harder!" and "Get the Rebound!" are not practical coaching strategies that lead to deep playoff runs.

6. torocan

torocan Member

Budenholzer and Brett Brown were both long time assistants to Pops. We're unlikely to get either of them as they're both on contract.

Personally, I'd prefer one of the VanGundy's or Hollins.

Vogel would be good as well if the Pacers fire him. It's hard to be tough on Vogel when he's got head cases like Turner and Bynum dumped on him mid-season.

Adelman is retired and likely not returning to the NBA unless his wife passes away. Sloan is also unlikely to return. Woodson is a terrible and limited coach.

PJ Carlissemo wouldn't be a bad option either.

And if you can hijack an experienced Assistant coach out of the Spurs that's rarely a bad choice.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Avery Johnson. It won't be a complete do-over like you probably would have with the VG bros. His style is already similar to what we have now. In fact, he probably would even push the pace a bit more.

8. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

9. NickKent

NickKent Member

Rooting for Wizards sweep, Thibodeau would be awesome here. JVG has always talked highly of him and the role he played as assistant here

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

Of course if you can get Tom Thibodeau you get Tom Thibodeau. I don't find that a realistic option personally. Of the realistic options I'm really starting to prefer Lionel Hollins. But I would also be quite happy with SVG.

11. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I love Charles he is entertaining. But he would be turrible as a coach. Just turrible.

12. GoooooRockets!

we are not getting thibs guys, unless chicago management is stupid, and even if they are, i don't think they are stupid enough to fire one of the best coaches available.

i'm more toward hollins.. i think that will help bring up our toughness.. though i don't see that helping our offense though..

also i'm not sure why people keep bringing up SVG.. remember he and howard don't get along..

13. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

I agree Tom Thibodeau is first on my list. After that I want an analytics guy. Chris Finch. Really I wish we could bring back Sampson. No JVG but maybe SVG. It depends how he feels about analytics.

Whoever we hire has to be all on board with Analytics. Morey does to much work to not at least try and use his stuff. McHale never bought in at all. He said all that analytics does is tell him what he already knew. He said he didn't throw the **** load of analytcs reports dumped on his desk every day straight in the trash out of respect but he didn't read them either.

How can Morey believe in all this work and then have a coach who thinks it's a total waste. That's the number one priority. They have to be open to analytics. More than that , they have to believe in Morey and his analytics and build a game plan around them. If they are not willing to do that then no go.

IMO his analytics on game play is what makes him even more special. If you're not going to buy into that your wasting the best part of one of the best GM's in the league.

14. rocketsmetalspd

Thibodeau Ideal for the team to get into Defensive mind set or Lionel Hollins.

15. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

HIRE GUNDY!!!

16. GoooooRockets!

mcfail is not very motivational to me. on one of the timeout i heard him say, "do your role! nothing more and nothing less!"

what the hell, nothing more? now you know why sometimes jeremy lin is so not-aggressive and the whole team just stands around watching harden iso.. you can't do nothing more than what mcfail wants!

17. bmd

bmd Member

I don't think Hollins would ever be a serious candidate as long as Morey is here. He was pushed out of Memphis because he was completely against the Grizzlies' GM wanting him to take a more analytical approach.

Hollins and Morey would be like oil and water.

18. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

The Van Gundy brothers, that would be something novel but not a first since the Brown brothers coached together. They seem close as brothers so maybe they would enjoy coaching together.

Les ought to pitch it if the Rockets get swept. McHale has to go if the Rockets get swept.

19. J.R.

J.R. Member

20. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

McMillan man, way underrated, do it Murray!