1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Blazers @ Rockets 4/23/2014 (Playoffs Round 1, Game 2)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Apr 21, 2014.

1. Rockness

Rockness Member

So is McHale going to learn, maybe he needs to call Sampson and cry: "I need your help, please tell me how we can defend Aldrige, PLEASE!?!!?" Also if Daniels, D-Mo or Casspi will not get any playing time in game 3, that shows you McHale is afraid. He basically has had a 7 man rotation these games, Garcia's minutes were meaningless in game 2, and that's just stubborn.

2. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Who is Daniels? Is he some playoff vet we acquired or just someone from our D-League team?

3. gumbleton3

gumbleton3 Member

#bandwagonfan

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Thursday morning Houston Chronicle Sports cover after Blazers win Game 2: <a href="http://t.co/buUPcvKCuN">pic.twitter.com/buUPcvKCuN</a></p>&mdash; Jason Quick (@jwquick) <a href="https://twitter.com/jwquick/statuses/459296133240459264">April 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. Cosmonaut

Cosmonaut Member

Rockets really need to learn to play defense or they won't go anywhere in a playoff series.
    Rockets defense on LMA wasn't the best but it wasn't the worst either. He had some open shots, but he was also draining some shots with a hand in his face a lot too so far this series. A lot of his shots have also been from the mid range, which is what you want, just unfortunately the hoop is the size of a hoola hoop for LMA right now. I think if the Rockets need to stop LMA getting a fast start it just seems to setup his whole game. If they can some how keep him quiet for a half then the Rockets will win as LMA won't have the sort of momentum he has been getting. If the rockets can keep him below his season averages for the rest of the series and make someone else beat us like an inconsistent lillard then we have a better chance
    Rockets also need to find a way to get him in foul trouble. Rockets best chance to extend a lead or get back in to a game is when LMA is off the court.

I also think DMO does need some burn. Mchale always says he his the best ball mover on the team when the ball gets a bit sticky.
    DMO can also play on LMA and provide a physical presence on him and take some fouls that maybe Dwight or Asik might take.

I still have hope that the Rockets can take this series out, cause looking back at when the Rockets beat Dallas at Dallas in those first 2 games and Dallas coming back to win the series shows me it can be done. It will just be bloody hard to do.

Also If you are a true Rockets fan you won't give up on this team until the final series clinching buzzer is blown!

1 person likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Rockets aren't going anywhere with mchale as head coach. I've been saying that all year long.

Yeah James and parsons sucked, but mchale isn't doing them any favors.

7. yummyhawtsauce

1. Defense
    2. defense
    3. move/share the fking ball - get teammates involved.
    4. smarter adjustments made by coach *will never happen though*

While I absolutely thought DH was a beast and played amazing, I think there needs to be balance. DH needs to kick it out and move the ball once in awhile to keep things interesting and get players involved.

I have to give props to lillard and coach stotts.

stotts made adjustments to cover dwight and double him and it worked to prevent dwight scoring too much. lillard, while wasn't having a good shooting night, he did everything else. penterated to move the ball around and give players touches. batum and mathews seem more involved and had big shots.

this is where harden and lin is needed. GIVE THEM SCREENS TO PENETRATE AND THINGS WILL HAPPEN. i saw lin do this maybe only 2 times last night. he seemed passive at times. maybe it was the flu maybe it wasn.t but no excuse for harden to settle for jump shots again. when harden drove you can tell he was just trying to drive for a ****ty foul call but guess what? portland players autmatically jumped away from harden because they knew it was coming, and harden missed a few that way...I keep seeing these smart adjustments to Houston's offense, why can't we do the same?????????????????????????
    sorry for rant - just frustrated like rest of clutchfans. it's embarrassing when rockets are supposed to be favorites but this happens.

one positive note is despite losing game - at least it was still close. but I can hardly focus on this to make me feel better lol

8. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

This team limped into the playoffs and now they'll crawl out of it.

Whatever is bugging Harden is not something he can turn on or off. It's in him and he's got to grow out of it. And I doubt he'll do that in the next 2 games.

So yeah, emotionally I'm calling it a season.

Saddest part, I had supreme hope for next year prior to this game. Now I feel we've taken a step back.

Goodness, I hope experience (good/bad) plays any factor next season.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

Get him a starting PG and an upgrade at PF then we can judge.

10. beybey

beybey Member

So he can stand in the corner?

11. hooroo

hooroo Member

That is LOF logic. Place Lin on the Clippers and he becomes CP3. Replace Lin with CP3 on the Rockets and he becomes Linconsistency.

12. chandlerbang21

Man u been in a cave for last 2 weeks lol

13. imaginedragons

it was almost too obvious that barkley was correct. even in the first quarter when Dwight was on fire, the Blazers still kept taking the lead. sure, it got the crowd all fired up seeing Dwight really dominating but it also just seemed to mask:

1. the Blazers offense was doing anything it pleased.
    2. Going inside again and again and again seemed to freeze out all the other perimeter guys. Harden, Parsons and Beverley looked totally non-existent.
    3. Dwight went off for 17 (or was it 19) 1st quarter pts, the question is, in their normal offense when they don't keep throwing the ball into the post, would Harden, Parsons plus the normal Howard have scored more than 25 total? the answer would most likely be yes.

the Rockets went out of their element and out of their identity by forcing the Howard post ups. the team is at its best in a free flowing environment with a pace that is fast and furious, with Howard contributing as change of pace option every few plays, and being a force on defense and rebounding. Notice that he was too gassed by late 4th quarter from being too much a focus on the offense that he gave up several key rebounds to the Blazers.

14. battousai

battousai Member

Look at this, I am thinking of trading everyone on the trade less Howard.

15. thedude077

thedude077 Member

<object width="480" height="360"><param name="movie" value="//www.youtube.com/v/X5G_3W_Qsn8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="//www.youtube.com/v/X5G_3W_Qsn8?version=3&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="360" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

16. kastuul

kastuul Member

Lillard almost had a triple doubles.

This is how bad the ball movement Rockets is:
    Lillard had 11 Assists, which is the total of our guard (Lin 5, Bev.2, Harden 4)

The rebound and TO are the same, but they have 7 more assists and 7 more block shots.

17. beybey

beybey Member

No. Its Harden playing PG on this team. I was implying Bev(our starter) always standing in the corner. Got too much Lin hate in you.

18. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

I guess I have. Has Danielsanity happened in the last two weeks.

Why is this star rotting on the bench? Has he been shooting 50% from 3 at high volume? Is he a shut down defender? What is the fascination with this Daniels guy that I missed?

19. beybey

beybey Member

He wasnt that great. If he made two more FTs could of won game one. Former DPOY cant stop LA from getting record breaking stats.

20. nykb17

nykb17 Member

Stating the obvious here but we lost because of the following...

1. We can't stop Aldridge. Need a better option at PF.
    2. We can't stop Lillard. Need Bev to be more of a 2 way player to make Lillard work harder.
    3. Harden is choking. He needs to step up.
    4. McHale is being outcoached.

Anybody who is saying that the problem is Lin has an agenda cause you can't blame a player if he is not the focal point of the team strategy.