1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwight or Big Al?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by downbytheriver, Apr 21, 2014.

Tags:
?

on your team

1. DH

82.1%
  2. Jefferson

17.9%
  1. RocketsFan0

RocketsFan0 Member

Defense wins championships. /thread

2. JazzLakerHater

Man if you combine Jefferson's offense with Dwight's defense, you arguably have the best player in the league on your hand.

3. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Why not both?

4. oakdogg

oakdogg Contributing Member

Big Al hits free throws - he's got that going for him.

5. tinywang

tinywang Contributing Member

Al Jefferson has mad post moves like Lamarcus Aldridge.

#25 tinywang, Apr 21, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  6. legend215

legend215 Contributing Member

I think it comes down to Dwight Howard + Terrence Jones vs Omar Asik + Al Jefferson. I think I know which one I'd choose if I were making a highlight vid but I think it's clear which one would form a championship level front court IMO

7. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

Most teams wouldn't play Asik and Jefferson together. Jefferson has defensive problems as it is, it would be a nightmare watching him try to chase around the average NBA PF athlete. Also, as Jefferson is a low post scorer, he would have the same spacing issues that Dwight had trying to play with Asik. So, it would likely end up as Jefferson + Terrence Jones anyway.

8. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

I'm not usually one to blame a guy for missing the playoffs.. but.. Dwight has carried his teams to the playoffs (and finals), Big Al has never seemed to help teams win.

9. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

big al is lightyears ahead of dwight in offense but dwigth still scores the same pts. better rebounder and lightyears ahead in defense.

10. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Big Al is the James Harden of big men when it comes to defense.

11. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

This

Of course Dwight is better, but Jefferson is a better fit with Asik... and at a cheaper price.

12. downbytheriver

Randolph is another big with a back to basket game who always comes up big in playoffs. Where as the defensive bugs have more of a reg season impact. Keep a close eye on big Al. .....

13. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

14. hikanoo49

hikanoo49 Member

this comparison is not just

a. defense
    b. offense

it should be

a. defense (howard)
    b. offense (big al)
    c. LEADERSHIP

(Al is a very good leader while Dwight is very questionable. Loves baby mama's, doesnt take things seriously and likes to goof around).

so I give Big Al 2 out of 3

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

LOL you're kidding, right? First of all Big Al is playing in the Leastern conference, the same conference where Brook Lopez compiles 20-10 and Patrick Patterson looks like a near all star at times. The last time Dwight played in the East he had like 20-20 nights. It makes a lot of difference esp. this year because in the East most of your games come up against guys like Andrea Bargnani, Luis Scola etc. however in the West you have guys like Tim Duncan, Anthony Davis, LMA and Kevin Love. The competition is vastly different.

Secondly Dwight has proven his mettle time and again, maybe he isn't the best offensive guy on the planet but his presence is undoubtedly franchise level, the Rox were the 8th team last year and are the 4rth this year...and this is with Dwight replacing Asik, a dude who is already really good defensively. On the other hand what has Big Al really done? If he was such an indispensable player then teams like Boston, Minny and Utah wouldn't have given him up, can you imagine Dwight being passed around like a hot potato? Now he's thriving with the Bobcats but they just got walloped by a still coasting Miami. And the knock on Miami is supposed to be the frontcourt right? And yet Big Al the offensive dynamo can't take advantage and lead his team to a win. Maybe it isn't fair considering the roster of Miami and the roster of the Bobcats, but Big Al has a history of not helping his team get anywhere whether it was Boston, Minny or Utah despite putting up good stats. At least Love has the excuse playing in a stacked WC but Big Al has been in both conferences already.

Even the stats say it's not a valid comparison, sure Big Al is better as an offensive option but Dwight has better FG%, rebs, blocks and win shares. All Big Al really has going for him is the eyeball test, you see him doing those super cool post moves but then you look at his FG% and it is 50%...the same rate as perimeter players like Harden or LBJ would score at. I mean, if your dude at the post is gonna convert at 50% and Harden will score 50% while still mixing up a couple of 3's here and there what is the point of giving your ball to the big man? There's a reason the saying is "defense wins championships", there a lot of players gifted with putting the ball in the hole but only big men can really defend at the highest level.

This is pretty ridiculous IMHO, Big Al is at Asik level he's a tier below Dwight.

16. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

Uhh I watch both teams and Dwight is far above Al as a player, I personally think Al is a 4 who just plays Center. Al is underrated tho in the League IMO he is a Top 10 Big Man,but saying Al is on the same level as Dwight is kinda ridiculous,you can make a case,but it wont be strong.

Dwight at the 5 and Al at the 4 would be amazing tho for Houston.

17. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Nothing. However I just want people to realize that in Charlotte this year he IS the entire offensive scheme of Clifford. They have Kemba sure, but his plays are so erratic & iso-centric that Clifford goes to Al on pretty much every single play. I dont know why anyone would be shocked that Big Al's stats took such a huge jump this year.

05-06- multiple ankle injuries
    05-06 - Torn Meniscus
    06-07 - bone spurs (surgery)
    06-07- appendectomy surgery (not really basketball related)
    08-09 - knee injury - ACL tear - total reconstructive surgery

He's recovered well from his injuries early on, but he's had some serious ones.

-Gary Payton, Paul Pierce, Antoine Walker, Kevin Love, young Mike Miller, Millsap, Deron Williams

Actually this year is really the first time you can look and say that he is the clear cut #1 option. Maybe he should have been and was for periods in Minnesota, but again that was around the time when he had his major ACL injury so he wasn't really going to put up ground breaking stats that year.

The last 2 years in Utah he put up decent numbers offensively as one of the first options offensively, but there is a reason why the Utah front office wanted to see what they could get out of Favors/Kanter instead of signing Millsap/Jefferson long term. Having Jefferson anchor your defense without good team and perimeter defenders surrounding him is asking for a porous defense.

This a career YEAR for Al Jefferson that nobody should deny him. However its just one year. Dwight has been just as dominant offensively as Al was every other year, and on top of that has been a perennial DPOY type of player. I dont even know why this is even a discussion. If Big Al can dominate, and take the Bobcats deep in the playoffs for 5 more seasons than we can start having the conversation of Big Al's offensive post game vs. Dwight's all around game.