1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Can someone tell me why Dirk....(concerning the MVP)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Lynus302, May 21, 2003.

1. pickle

pickle New Member

very well said. :) i think dirk is a great offensive weapon, but he doesn't even show much effort on defense. for a 7 footer constantly guarding guys 6'7", 1 block a game is really not that impressive, nor is his rebounding stat considering the other players that start with him on the front line. i really don't have much respect for someone that has position on a defensive rebound but would rather flop/fake a foul than battle off the man behind him and get that board.

i haven't watched a great many dallas games this year, but from the few i did see, he tends to disappear at the end of the games, especially when opposing defense tightens down. that's not the sign of an mvp.

2. x_trepidation_x

Well I think a combination of things hold Dirk back from being considered MVP of the league.

1) His team is loaded with talent. So even without Dirk Dallas is pretty good (see Chris Webber)

2) Really does not dominate a game but rather collects his points in the flow of the game often being set up by Nash. What I am suggesting is that MVP candidates get the ball in crunch time and force the ball through the throats of the opposing team or kick the ball out if there is a double/triple team to the open player.

I think Dirk deserves MVP consideration. His total efficiency ranking is 4th best in the NBA which suggests if there are 4 candidates for MVP award then he should be one of those candidates.