1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wierd Coverage of Rudy T

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Jeff, May 23, 2003.

1. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I was watching the big three networks at 6pm and I thought their coverage of Rudy T stepping down was odd.

They all did "team coverage" of the story with a combination of clips from the press conference, retrospective looks at his coaching and playing tenure and man-on-the-street reports from sports bars. But, what I found fascinating was that ALL of them reported about the "backlash from fans" and how "fans are upset over this."

However, when they went to the cuts of the man (or woman) on the street, I only saw ONE PERSON who said this was a bad thing. Every other person said, "It's tough because he's been here so long, but the team needed a change...yadda, yadda, yadda."

No one was upset. There was no backlash.

Just another example of stations trying to invent controversy to get people to tune in. Sad.

2. CrazyJoeDavola

Jeff,

I was disappointed in the fact that none of them covered the press conference in its entirety. They call cut away to go to the Network news.

3. SLA

SLA Member

Well I just watched the intro to Fox News...and every single person said they will miss Rudy and he did a lot for the franchise for 30 years but it was time to go......and there needs to be a new beginning.

By the way...they have an exclusive interview with Steve about this!

4. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

As much as you guys don't believe it there are more than a few Rockets fans who honestly believe Rudy's departure is a step back for the Franchise... I don't see anyone else out there who can do a better job... Definitely not Gundy... Maybe Brown...

So this is a dark day for many true Rockets fans and me personally. I believe I'm as big a Rockets fan as there is on this board... I want nothing more than more championships for our team and I would be the first to fire Rudy if I thought it was what we need to improve, but I just don't see that. I felt Rudy has everything the Rockets needed to get the team back to Championship form... And he needed only more time. I know he is not perfect at felt at times he wasn't as hard on the players as I would have liked but those who think Van Gundy would be a better choice are nuts.

5. Summer Song Giver

I respect your opinion, truly, however this group of guys needed a fire lit under them and it's just sad to see Rudy have to go for that to happen but with this group of players he was not getting the job done.

6. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

This isn't about the quality or correctness of the decision that was made. This is about teasing a news segment with one statment and showing a segment with the exact opposite reaction from fans. Makes no sense.

Seems like they are doing a little correcting now that it is later in the day. I think they went with the gut feeling that fans would be pissed without actually finding out first. Of course, that would involve actual reporting and this IS local news we are talking about. :)

7. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

"Just another example of stations trying to invent controversy to get people to tune in. Sad."

What? Just because no one they talked to was upset then there is a conspiracy? I was at SRO when they played the conference and no one was upset. People are tired of seeing the team lose with all that talent on the team. I don't think there is any attempt by the media to invent controversy. I just think that is how people feel.

8. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Channel 2 is STILL doing it. They teased the segment by saying fans were "angry" about Rudy T. stepping down and that there would be "a backlash against the Rockets" over this. Then, they did the story and every single person they spoke to said it was sad but they all good things must come to an end, etc. NOT A SINGLE PERSON was upset.

Then, right at the end, the reporter said, "Will Rudy T leaving cause the Rockets to lose fans? We'll examine that later in the newscast." HUH???

Note to channel 2: there is no story. Move on.

9. BmwM3

BmwM3 Contributing Member

Yeah.. I saw that channel 2....No One I repeat No One was upset. They are doing a story that isn't there!!

10. couch_pot8o

couch_pot8o Contributing Member

yall know how screwed up the media is!!! they all whacked in the brain or something...

11. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Yeah, you got to like when they say stay tuned for the 5 day forecast, then all of a sudden a tornado comes ripping through your den.
    You have to love those Houston weather men/women. :rolleyes: :)

12. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Channel 2 idea of "news" is truly bizzare. It's weird, when there IS a story, they beat around the bush and don't give any hard facts. Instead of talking to the people that are a part of the actual story, they resort to interviewing some Joe Blow walking down the street and asking what he thinks as if anyone cares.

All style, no substance. Par for the course for channel 2.

13. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Thanks Jeff! You have a very valid point about the Media, it makes me realise that we should be very cautious about taking the TV reports as literal truth!

14. acejeff5

acejeff5 Member

he sucks good to see him go! stop complaining he's still here in the organization

15. codell

codell Contributing Member

I will call this post classy, because you can't spell class without the word ass.

16. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I've got all the mother****ing backlash they want right here.

go to hell, Judas A!!!

17. tozai

tozai Member

Channel 2 has sports coverage? I only watch Fox, anways, because the rest have continually been inferior.

18. JunkyardDwg

JunkyardDwg Contributing Member

It's like the whole Dixie Chicks thing. Media coverage pretty much exlcusively centered on the "backlash" of her comments, how the fans and radio stations were boycotting them...yet did they EVER show the fans that supported them. NOPE. Same thing w/ the war. All the media ever seemed to show were anti-war protests (hardly ever pro-war) just to create a bigger story than they're prob was. The media can be very irresponsible at times...which is one reason I do not want to head into news after I graduate. Shoot I'm a Rudy supporter but even I thought this whole situation is perhaps for the best.

19. Fatty FatBastard

There is a good reason for Rudy backlash.

Why wouldn't a Rocket fan be pissed at this?!?

You want to say that the media misrepresented? In what way?

I was a huge Rudy supporter, and I have a REAL problem if he was, indeed, fired.

I know Media can be majorly biased from time to time.....

However, I am very offended by the assumption that you would expect true Rockets fans not to be disappointed by this call!

This is THE end of an era, Hakeems departure notwithstanding.

I'm actually offended by this Jeff. I thought you were a bigger Rudy fan.

And it's weird.

20. user

user Member

How about 3 lottery seasons and another lottery season without a lottery pick? You are not a true rockets fan, you are just blind. True rockets fan will want his team go to playoff and win it all.