1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Shooting at Fort Hood

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by J.R., Apr 2, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Whatever the story here, the idea that the US Army has to call 911 when their bases are attacked is flat-out insane.</p>&mdash; David Burge (@iowahawkblog) <a href="https://twitter.com/iowahawkblog/status/451513325159858176" data-datetime="2014-04-02T18:15:15+00:00">April 2, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

First, what's wrong with calling 911.

Secondly, it's not true that MPs can't engage a shooter anymore that it's not true campus police can't at a university.

Dude sounds like he expects the Army to let everyone go to the armory and get their weapons like they're getting overrun with Putin rushkies or zombies.

Why do people tweet crap like that, with the obvious motive to turn a crisis into a political issue.

3. Commodore

the issue is people aren't allowed to carry on base, which is insane.

4. J.R.

J.R. Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources tell ABC News the firearm used by the assailant at Ft. Hood was a semi-automatic handgun: <a href="http://t.co/vaXP848bmX">http://t.co/vaXP848bmX</a></p>&mdash; Houston News (@abc13houston) <a href="https://twitter.com/abc13houston/statuses/451548117377490945">April 3, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

No indication this is related to terrorism, though we are not ruling anything out and the investigation continues.

3 victims killed and the shooter was killed. 16 injured.

His next of kin not notified so (they'll) wait until that's done.

He served 4 months in Iraq in 2011.

He was under diagnosis (to determine if he had) PTSD.

45 caliber Smith & Wesson semi-automatic pistol purchased recently.

Arrived at Fort Hood in February.

Was not in the process of being transferred out of the military

Body found in the parking lot.

Is married, does have family and in the process of notification.

Was on medications.

Not a wounded warrior.

6. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Same place as that unfortunate Luby's shootout in 1991? :/

7. Buck Turgidson

But no, let's not have more stringent background checks and waiting periods.

8. heypartner

Then why not tweet that. Why tweet "The Army has to call 911?" It's misleading.

Hey, I'm not for or against the ban, because it's not the civilian public's call. The ban is a Dept of the Army directive dating back to 1992. It's not really a political issue imo, because the Army can remove it.

If it were a political issue, then President Bush would have removed it; he had complete authority to do so. So, since the Army still keeps it in place. I have to respect that. I have to respect that they have reasons for only allowing MPs and other Security personnel to carry on Army bases.

no?

1 person likes this.
  9. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Is it now confirmed there was only one shooter?

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Agree. He's trolling.

11. DaleDoback

DaleDoback Contributing Member

People do carry. They are called MPs and Security Forces. That is their job and you see them in MASS number on every base we have. You obviously have no clue what you're talking about. Allowing every member to carry their M9 and/or M16/M4 is asinine. You are just asking for this BS to happen every few days.

And before you bounce whatever opinion you have back.......I have spent my whole life in the military enviorment. (Dad served 20....I joined 6 months after he retired, started year 11 this past February) The issue is mental health. Not amount of weapons allowed to be carried and whether more needs to carry or less.

Start from there......

1 person likes this.
  12. 1JumpShot

1JumpShot Member

Oh great, I'm with the Army national guard, and we are schedule to drill in Ft. Hood this weekend.

13. heypartner

Don't worry. You'll be in North Ft Hood. Not in the main cantonment with us Regulars.

:p

14. Commodore

That last statement is slander against our armed forces. As if soldiers are more reckless with firearms than civilians.

The idea that civilians can concealed carry, but trained soldiers with far more extensive background checks and training, cannot on base, is insane.

They have to wait around for the MPs to show up while people are dying, when they are perfectly capable of defending themselves and others if they were allowed the means to do so.

As we saw here, gun free zones ensure the only people who have them will be nutjobs and criminals (until the police show up after the damage is done).

15. heypartner

So, you know more than the Dept of the Army. It is their ban. They can remove it at anytime. It has been a ban for like 20 years now. President Bush could have removed it.

Who are you arguing with? The Dept of the Army and now a veteran, DaleDoback, telling him he's slandering soldiers.

Also, I lived at Ft Hood in the '80s. We lived in barracks together. Where do we store weapons safely? It's not a private domain. Most of us would vote that our roommates couldn't have handguns in the rooms, because guys come home drunk from bar fights, with lack of p***y and ****...all high on testosterone.

As we liked to say: This is not Kansas, anymore.

Quit arguing what you don't know. The ban is by the Army, themselves, on themselves. They can remove it anytime they want.

1 person likes this.
  16. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Yes. I went back there in 2012 after 25 years and it had totally changed, lots of strip malls where there used to be fields. And a Hooters a stones throw from where I went from K-4th grade. I talked to my old best friends dad and he told me his son was in the police force doing Crime Scene work. And my other older friend was likely in jail again, for meth. It was so sobering, seeing the 2 paths a persons life can go down. When I left at age 10 to move to Houston, it was the worst thing ever. Now looking back it was the best thing that could have happened.

17. BDswangHTX

BDswangHTX Member

Yep. My grandparents live there.

It's a craphole.

18. DaleDoback

Truth hurts! And not reckless with firearms......we are pretty good brother! REAL damn good! Reckless with how we had to live the last 13 years maybe? And the effect it has had on many I live/work/know and lost???? You bet!

Civilians......most will never encounter a situation to where they would need to use that weapon. How many need to use that weapon half-way around the world....living in a crap country....away from family....for 12-18 months at a time?

Have you ever shot any weapon in a real situation? People that think like you have this false sense that everyone is capable of using a weapon in a violent situation. Comical at best!

Please rethink all of this. I can tell you have no clue about the men/women that serve. You have no clue the lifestyle, the hardship.....or the mentality of the people that do this BS job. You probably have never done more than hang a yellow ribbon or cheer at a parade. Which is fine......I got no issue with that. I am glad you missed out on all the 'fun'......

But that whole post showed me that you have no idea what the hell you are talking about. So pick a subject close to you.........this one is mine.....

3 people like this.
  19. DaleDoback

Exactly.......thank you for serving and explain that so well. Cheers!

20. heypartner

Cheers. Thank you more. I worked the silent, Cold War shift. Can't imagine most of what you just described. And excuse my typo calling you a vet versus 11 yr Active.