1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2013-2014 Magic Numbers against the Western Conference

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ScriboErgoSum, Mar 6, 2014.

1. try

try Member

Did the stomach bug strike back? ;)

Games  H2H        Div          Con   Overall    Magic
        Team          W/L   L10   H2H   Left   TB   Div   TB    Conf   TB  Tiebreak   Number  Diff
     1  Spurs       57-16  10-0   3-0     1H    W  10-3    L   34-10    L      Yes*       17
     2  Thunder     54-19   8-2   0-3     1H    L              32-13    L       No*       15
     3  Clippers    52-22   8-2   0-4   None    L              31-13    L       No*       12
     4  Rockets     49-23   6-4                     9-4        26-18
     5  Blazers     48-27   6-4   3-1   None    W              25-20    W      Yes*        6
     6  Warriors    45-28   6-4   2-1   None    W              25-18    W      Yes*        5   (-1)
     7  Suns        44-30   8-2   2-1   None    W              24-20    W      Yes*        3   (-1)
     8  Mavericks   44-30   6-4   2-2   None    T   9-5    W   24-20    W       Yes        4
     9  Grizzlies   43-30   6-4   2-2   None    T  3-11    W   24-21    W      Yes*        3   (-1)
    10  Wolves      36-36   5-5   2-0     1A    W              20-25    W      Yes*     Lobotomized

* Indicates the Tie Break is final

Clinched the #9 seed

Here is the latest batch of Magic Numbers after all games were played on 3/30.

The Rockets lost against the Clippers two days ago, getting swept in the season series and failing to reduce the Magic Number of all the other western playoff contenders.

OKC handles Utah
    The game was over after the first quarter in which Utah scored only nine points, it ended 116-96. Kevin Durant led the Thunder with super-efficient 31 points, he added 4 rebounds and 9 assists. For Utah, Enes Kanter had a double-double with 18/12.

Blazers are back on track
    Following their bad slump, the Blazers have now won three straight. The Grizzlies came to Portland yesterday and were beaten 105-98. In that game, the Blazers shot over 50% from the field and made twice as many free throws as their opponents. Memphis just wasn't able to finish at the rim, shooting a paltry 46,5% in the restricted area. LMA had a game high 28 points, the combined 41 points by Randolph and Gasol weren't enough to prevent Memphis to drop to the 9th spot.

Decimated Warriors lose at home
    The bigmen Lee and Bogut were out injured and the Warriors were unable to compensate their abscence, resulting in an 84-89 loss. Steph Curry was the only one who was able to score well, he had 32 points on 10/21 shooting. The rest of the Warriors shot a combined 31%, that was not enough to overcome the Knicks who were led by J.R. Smith with 21 points.

Suns stumble over the Lakers
    The six-game winning streak by Phoenix was surprisingly broken by the LA Lakers in a 99-115 bummer. The Suns just couldn't get their offense going and shot under 40% from the field. Chris Kaman exploded for 28 points, 17 rebounds and 6 assists.

Cellar Dwellers
    In a game full of turnovers (20 on both sides), the Timberwolves couldn't get Kevin Love going (only 14/9) and lost to the Nets, 99-114. The wingmen K-Mart and Brewer had 21 points each, Paul Pierce had a game high 22 points on 8/11 from the field.

2 people like this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Warriors are getting dangerously close to the bottom of the field. Their big men better get healthy and stay healthy.

3. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

They'll make the playoffs though. They'd actually gone 13-4 recently before losing 2 out of their last 3. So it's not like they're playing bad. The problem is their next 2 games are at Dallas and San Antonio(on a B2B no less), so they may briefly drop into a tie for 7th or 8th place before their schedule lightens up again.

4. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Yesterday was a great day for us and we didn't even play a game! Portland won, GS lost and Memphis lost!

5. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

Thanks Try. Just had a busy week with the kids. Single parenthood can kick my ass sometimes. Finished watching the Clippers game at 2 AM and didn't have the energy to do a write up that night or on Sunday. I've got a hot date tonight, but I'll have a write up later in the evening. I'm recharged and ready for the stretch run.

Well the top 4 seeds certainly seem pretty locked in at this point. It would have been nice to rise to #3, but I'm fine with #4 and home court. Especially now that we'll get Beverly back.

The bottom four are the real mystery. I love that the Blazers have stopped their freefall and have the inside track for the #5 spot. The Warriors could still catch them, but I like Portland's chances. The Blazers are the dream round 1 matchup.

7-9 is fascinating, and I could well see this coming down to a tie breaker.

Suns 1-4
    vs Mavs 1-1 1A
    vs Grizz 0-3 1H

Mavs 4-1
    vs Suns 1-1 1H
    vs Grizz 3-0 1A

Grizz 3-3
    vs Suns 3-0 1A
    vs Mavs 0-3 1H

The Mavs have the inside track for winning the three team tie break, but that could change. Although if the Lakers game was just a blip and Phoenix stays hot, the Grizz have to be terrified of a two team tie with the Mavs which they would lose.

Mavs close with Suns, @Grizz
    Suns close with @Mavs, Grizz, @Kings
    Grizz close with @Suns, Mavs

This race likely won't be decided until the last few days. I'm sure the Thieves and Spurs are hoping the Grizz will miss out.

6. autoprt

autoprt Member

i'm loving the name bev has #wovervine which definitely fits but he sure as heck reminds me of the tasmanian devil.....

7. lazybum234

lazybum234 Member

Can't wait to hear about the date and then how the Rockets are doing :grin:

1 person likes this.
  8. randomfan

randomfan Member

Although most people seem to prefer a #4 seed vs the Spurs, I would take OKC over the Spurs. Spurs are looking insane right now. They have (probably) 3 HOFers at the 1/4 and 6th man, whereas those exact positions are this team's biggest problems...

9. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I don't love the Portland matchup. I mean, whether it's Portland, GS, Memphis, Dal, whoever...it's all going to be tough. I'd prefer the Rockets play the Suns the most bc they're just so green...it's hard to see a young team excel in the playoffs w/ that much inexperience.

But after that, I know everyone is loving the Blazers matchup, but I'm starting to think GS might be better...hell, even Memphis. GS bigs are a oft injured Bogut, old-but-effective O'neal, and defensive sieve David Lee. Asik/Howard/Jones/Dmo should get the better of that every freaking game. As hot as Curry and Thompson can get, they can get cold too. Everyone is afraid of the fact that when they get hot, their offense can be unstoppable, but that doesn't happen a full 48 minutes, and their defense is always bad.

Portland actually has more fire power w/ a healthy Aldridge, and they are more athletic top to bottom. I mean, the Rockets should be slight favorites against whoever ends up #5, but I'm just not as confident as everyone here seems to be facing Portland.

1 person likes this.
  10. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

wow, i thought i was the only one that had that mentality. Portland, by their recent play look like a tougher out than the Mavs or GS. As of right now, i would prefer to play Golden State.

Kim...hmm.... hi! lol

11. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

The top 5 defense Warriors? Think you have them mistaken with the Blazers who are a bottom 10 defense.

12. ScriboErgoSum

ScriboErgoSum Contributing Member

<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Games&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Con&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Overall&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Magic&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</B>
    <B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Team&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W/L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L10&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;H2H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Left&nbsp;&nbsp; TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Div&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Conf&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;TB&nbsp;&nbsp;TieBreak&nbsp;&nbsp;Number &nbsp;Diff</B>
    &nbsp;1&nbsp;Spurs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;58-16&nbsp;&nbsp;10-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;10-3&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;34-10&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;17</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;2&nbsp;OKC&nbsp;Thieves&nbsp;&nbsp;54-19&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;32-13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;15</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;3&nbsp;Clippers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;53-22&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;32-13&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;L&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;No*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;12</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;4&nbsp;Rockets&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;49-23&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-4&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;26-18
    &nbsp;5&nbsp;Blazers&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;48-27&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;25-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;6&nbsp;Warriors&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;45-28&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;25-18&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;5</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;7&nbsp;Mavericks&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;44-30&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;9-5&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;24-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;8&nbsp;Grizzlies&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;44-30&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;6-4&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;T&nbsp;&nbsp;3-11&nbsp;&nbsp; &nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;25-21&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    &nbsp;9&nbsp;Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;44-30&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;8-2&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;2-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;None&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;24-20&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3</B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;
    10&nbsp;Wolves&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;36-37&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4-6&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;20-26&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;W&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Yes*<B>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;Lobotomized</B>

* Indicates the Tie Break is final

<B>Clinched the #9 seed</B>

Here is the latest batch of Magic Numbers after all games were played on <B>3/31</B>.

A whole lot of nothing
    As expected the Rockets didn’t make any ground on their competition tonight.

The Spurs continue to roll, crushing the suddenly terrible Pacers 103-77 for their 18th straight win. Tony Parker led the Spurs with 22 points, and Popovich got a balanced attack despite subpar nights from Duncan and Ginobili. San Antonio has certainly become an unstoppable juggernaut as we near the Playoffs. I think they’ll cool down, but they will be a tough out.

The Clippers didn’t need Blake Griffin to beat the Wolves 114-104. Chris Paul had 22 points, 9 assists, and 7 boards, Darren Collison added 28 points and 7 assists, and DeAndre Jordan collected 24 rebounds. Free Kevin Love! led the Wolves with 20 points and 13 rebounds.

The Grizz snapped a two game losing streak by holding on for dear life to beat the Nuggets 94-92. ZBo led the Grizz with 20 points and 11 boards, and Mike Conley and Courtney Lee each added 19. Memphis moves into a three way tie with Dallas and Phoenix and for now they place 2nd in that group and have the #7 seed.

Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1-4
    vs&nbsp;Mavs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A
    vs&nbsp;Grizz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H

Mavs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;4-1
    vs&nbsp;Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1-1&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H
    vs&nbsp;Grizz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A

Grizz&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-3
    vs&nbsp;Suns&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;3-0&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1A
    vs&nbsp;Mavs&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;0-3&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;1H

With those records and the schedule remaining there are two outcomes for the three team tie break:

Mavs-Grizz-Suns
    Grizz-Suns-Mavs

The Mavs have the clear advantage for the best head-to-head record. It would take the Grizz winning both of their contests and the Mavs losing both of theirs to lose that tie break.

Assuming the Mavs hold on to win the three team tie break, they would be #7. The Grizz would then win the head to head two team tie break over the Suns for #8. Phoenix would miss the Playoffs.

If Dallas managed to lose both and Memphis won both, the Grizz would win the three team tie break with a 5-3 record over Dallas at 4-3. Memphis would be the #7 seed. The Suns would win the two team tie break 2-1 over the Mavs and would get the #8 seed. Mark Cuban would cuddle up with a Dirk bobble head and an extra large Blizzard as the Mavs missed out on the Playoffs again.

The one thing to note here is that Memphis can never miss the Playoffs in a three team tie break, but they would lose a two team tie break to Dallas.

The Rockets head to Brooklyn
    The Rockets play a Nets team that has been on a roll at home. The Rockets will be without Beverly and Howard. At this point we seem pretty locked in at #4 and waiting to get the whole team back together, but I’d still like the team to come out and battle hard. I don’t like our chances in this game.

Tuesday Games
    Blazers and Warriors are both on the road. The Lakers are fresh off beating the Suns and beat the Blazers in Portland the last time they played, but the Mavs are fighting for their Playoff lives. I like the Blazers’ chances of moving up a game on the Warriors.

Blazers at Lakers, Warriors at Mavs

13. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

Interior defense. Is my info outdated? Have Bogut, Lee, and O'neal become studs?

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Nice comment. It is difficult to foresee who will get hot. However the Blazers only have seven games to play. But the Rockets have no control over who is the fifth seed, so I do not give it much thought.

15. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I change my mind. The Curry scares me, lol.

16. G0 R0CKETS

G0 R0CKETS Member

Someone just needs to foul the crap out of him ....get in his head....take one for the team.

17. Play07

Play07 Member

I need the answers sway!

1 person likes this.
  18. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

So what is the magic number to get the 4/5. I think 4 is a combination of 10 rockets wins/blazers losses. What about the 5.

#198 RedNation, Apr 2, 2014
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2014
  19. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

O'Neal is a stud against Dwight..and Parsons driving baseline for a dunk.

20. Rockets1994

Rockets1994 Member

Is the magic number still 10? Shouldn't it be less?