1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Do you want Morey to be GM for life?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by drowsy12, Mar 26, 2014.

Tags:
  1. CCorn

CCorn Member

I think he stays with us until we win a chip, then starts his own analytics firm. He would make more $$$$.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The competitors always want more. They want to put their dick on top of the world. I'd be surprised if he didn't do something with the NFL in the next 10 years. Unless he's not a competitor.

3. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]

As long as he continues to show competence the job should be his, but the moment he starts to rest on his laurels, just like anyone else, he needs to be terminated...:eek:...."I'LL BE BAAAACK"...:grin:

4. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Too early to annoint him a Rocket for life. He's done a great job getting Harden & Howard, but the job is FAR from accomplished. Morey's job will be measured by postseason success. We'll see if him not signing any key FA's before the deadline will come back to haunt us later

5. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

I'm a big Morey fan, but times change. You could only give him a 10-year contract; who knows what the situation could be by that time.

6. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

edit.........................

7. Juxtaposed Jolt

In ten years, a thread is going to pop up about Morey.

"Daryl Morey isn't looking so good these days, guys"

8. qwertzy

qwertzy Member

no,good gm but overrated expecilty on this forum

9. intergalactic

intergalactic Contributing Member

Morey trades himself and his expiring contract to Philly for Sam Hinkie, a trade exception, and 3 second round picks. After signing new contract with Philly, he trades himself back to Houston for Hinkie straight up.

10. finsraider

finsraider Member

2009 - Broken Yao and Broken McGrady. No cap flexibility and no good picks.

2010-2012 - No tanking/no top picks

2013 - Harden and Howard, plus at least 4 great young players on cheap contracts and cap flexibility in 2015. #4 team in the west and tied for #5 in the NBA. Only 3 games out of 2nd place.

Easily a top 5 GM. Won't know if he's number 1 until we win a championship or two.

11. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Morey loves this job too much. If he leaves, it will be because of something stupid he read on clutchfans

12. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

Depends how long he lives. If he croaks in the next 25 years or so yeah I guess so. After that it depends if he has to wear depends to work or not.

13. scottie brooks

Morey is a consummate professional. I hope he lives a long full life and dies a Rocket.

14. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

When they retire Morey's jersey, i hope they stick his name on the ole ketchup and mustard.

Stupid Maori, that's what you get

15. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

People might have said the same thing about Carroll Dawson in 1995. The fact of the matter is that everyone gets old. Your prime years as a professional mind is usually your mid 40's to late 50's, for doctors and presidents it's even later (Atul Gawande has a fantastic article in why this is the case).

That means that we are the beneficiaries of the prime years of Moreys life. Thank Les for having the wherewithal to hire him young. Just enjoy the process and don't worry too much about tomorrow. Who can tell what the future will bring.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I think his future with the Rockets is now tied to the Harden era. I say Harden era only because he will probably outlast Dwight so that is our window.

So yes, 10 years is a possibility, but if we don't make a strong push to win it all with Dwight in the next 2-3 years his job may start to be in jeopardy.

And I certainly don't think he'll leave without winning a title or being fired first. He wants to complete what he started here. If we somehow establish a dynasty and win a few titles I could see him leaving to take on a challenge somewhere else.

17. mario_v

mario_v Member

Morey is the rockets biggest asset.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I don't expect him here forever as he seems to have lots of things he wants to pursue but every year he continues to set up the Rockets well into the future.

Now he gets to shine on the draft and having good coaches who can develop these guys some of which could stick and some of which could be dealt down the line for another star with the handful of guys on the rise that could be dealt (Parsons, Jones, Bev, Motiejunas) for say Durant!

That and summer 2015 free agency. Having Asik and Lin expiring cap space and then giving Parsons his extension.

19. QazQay

QazQay Member

Nice try Daryl ;)

20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Either Morey, or Morey's protege.