1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lillard vs Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Razsan, Mar 26, 2014.

Tags:
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Razsan

Razsan Member

Klutch....Lin was DESTROYED by the some posters for having a bad streak. "should be benched for Canaan" - "sent back to D-League" - "500 players better than him". Again, this whole exercise was a result of the knee-jerk reaction from some of the fans who are hell-bent on riling up LOF's.
    My point is that Lin is a pretty good basketball player but in a situation where he's asked to do something that isn't necessarily a strength. It happened in NY. Almost immediately after Melo came back...Linsanity was over.
    His scoring without Melo was 25, 28, 23, 38, 20, 27, 10 26, 28....He had some decent games after that but the whole flow of the team was different.
    Honestly, the way Harden is playing, they don't need Linsanity. But that doesn't mean that the kid is a scrub.

2. yummyhawtsauce

man...the grammar/syntax and spelling alone in that sentence....

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Did dis dude just did dis?

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hPf0oL6_W0k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Razsan

Razsan Member

Go ask someone with cancer or has a family member with cancer and see if they think that's funny.

5. JustAGuy

JustAGuy Member

Over the course of his career Lin has been statistically at his very best on Sunday*, with TS at over 60% averaging 18 & 8 assists, and less than 2 TOs per game in about 30 minutes played. So I'd pick him over Lillard on any given Sunday.

*Note: I made this up, because picking an arbitrary time slice to compare stats is stupid. And as long as it is stupid anyway, why bother looking it up.

6. Ricksmith

Ricksmith Contributing Member

Go ask someone with basketball knowledge or has a family member with basketball knowledge and see if they think that's funny.

7. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I don't think Lin is a scrub. But your position in that thread was, "Hey, Lin is going through a slump. Who cares if Bev is putting up better numbers right now -- everybody goes through a bad stretch." But you've turned around and done precisely the same thing here, arguing that there is really no appreciable gap between Lin and Lillard because Lin has put up better numbers during a stretch when Lillard (and the whole Blazers team, really) is slumping. Like, it's EXACTLY the same thing you discounted when Lin was on the not-so-positive end of the comparison. That's all I'm pointing out.

And like someone pointed out, the premise of this thread ("See, Lin gets trashed for a slump but I bet Lillard wouldn't!") -- that would make sense if this were a Rockets/Blazers board. Lin got roasted here during his slump. Harden got roasted here during his slump. People were ready to send Parsons to the bench in favor of Garcia when he had a slow start to the season. They're Rockets, so of course they are discussed here. Why would Rockets fans sit on a Rockets board and roast Damian Lillard, when he doesn't play for us? I'll say it again -- go take a look at Real GM or BlazersEdge. It's no different than it is here... except that Lillard shares the criticism with the coach, the front office and everybody else b/c the Blazers' season has taken such an abject turn.

1 person likes this.
  8. Razsan

Razsan Member

Thanks....will do!!!

9. sew

sew Member

Why do you guys even bother arguing with the irrational LOF? You guys would be infinitely better off if you simply ignored the morons. Why entertain them?

Take a look in the mirror.

10. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Gotta hand it to OP, dude is tenacious

...like Patrick Beverley

11. Honeybager81

Honeybager81 Member

Tyson Chandler summarized it well after the NY Knicks defeated his former team and defending champ Dallas Mavericks," I guess they were dead wrong in the scouting report."

12. Razsan

Razsan Member

That's fair enough...Although I don't agree with the amount of criticism being equal. Lin seems to get more than his share, likely due to his fanbase.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

Honest question. Do you really think a scouting report on Lin 2-3 weeks into Linsanity is comparable to the manner in which teams prepare for Damian Lillard today?

14. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

Harden got "roasted" early on in the season due to his sub-par defense and inability to hit any 3 point shots.

Harden stepped up his game, continued to improve, and people love him again.

Why should Lin be any different? People were ecstatic with his early season performance but he has been trending downhill since. If he steps up his game again, opinions will swing towards his favor.

I don't understand why Lin needs special treatment, like he is some fragile flower that needs ideal conditions to succeed (ideal conditions which 90% of the players in the NBA don't receive). It honestly makes him look mentally weak and only serves as more fuel for people to criticize him.

This thread did nothing but draw more attention and fuel more criticism, so I hope you are proud. Lin deserves better fans than he is getting.

15. Razsan

Razsan Member

Actually Monday is a good day for Lin. Shoots .550% and .478% from 3. Average s 14.7 and 5 in a little over 30 min/game

16. CheukLau

CheukLau Member

Stats sheet only shows limited info. Playing in a different system would have a lot of impact on the stats.
    -Rockets' offense are ran by Harden and Howard. Most teams will have defensive focus on these two guys. These will boost up Lin shooting rate.
    -While Blazers are ran by Lillard and Aldridge.
    -An extreme example is that Smith was one of the leader in true shooting rate, yet other than dunking his low post game probably was not pretty as his stats.

However, I do believe Lin could put up close stats to Lillard if he were playing similar minutes. The things that keep Lin from a star player are indeed not his offense game. Well... I will say it that way if Lin can sustain his offense game for 35 plus min while playing Beverley kind of defense and intensity, he probably will be the second pg in the league (just under cp3).

17. Razsan

Razsan Member

In fairness, he was injured during his slump and is shooting .488 in his last 10 games. He's getting 24.4 minutes and averaging 12.5 and 3.8. He's not playing anywhere near as bad as some would have you believe.

18. sew

sew Member

A random fan's opinion of a player affects the way that you percieve him?

This is something I've never understood.

19. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

This meltdown by Lin fans is embarrassing to watch.

It needs to stop. Seriously, stop posting this nonsense.

1 person likes this.
  20. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I'm not surprised you don't understand, you didn't even understand the point I was making.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.