1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[breaking] Malaysian Airlines loses contact with Beijing-bound flight, 239 on board

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 7, 2014.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Here is the announcement from the Malaysian PM

://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/missing-mh370-ended-indian-ocean-malaysias-pm-says-n60221

Missing MH370 'Ended' in Indian Ocean, Malaysia's PM Says
    By Henry Austin and Alexander Smith

New satellite data analysis has showed that missing Malaysia Airlines Flight 370 crashed into the southern Indian Ocean, Malaysia's prime minister told a news conference on Monday.

Najib Razak said flight data suggested that the Boeing 777's "last position was in the middle of the Indian Ocean west of Perth, [Australia]."

He added: “This is a remote location, far from any possible landing site. It is therefore with deep sadness and regret that according to this data the flight ended in the southern Indian Ocean.”

The prime minister said that his announcement was based on data analyzed by the U.K. Air Accidents Investigation Branch and satellite firm Inmarsat.

He said the British agency and Inmarsat had been "performing further calculations on the data, using a type of analysis, never before used in an investigation of this sort."

“Malaysia Airlines have already spoken to the families of the passengers and crew to inform them of this development,” the prime minister added. “For them the past few weeks have been heartbreaking. I know this news must be harder still.”

Earlier, the families of Flight 370's passengers were sent text messages by the airline telling them that the plane been "lost and that none of those aboard have survived."

After more than two weeks of mystery and speculation, the prime minister's announcement was the first confirmation of the fate of the Boeing 777 that vanished on March 8.

Flight MH370 disappeared from civilian radar screens less than an hour after taking off from Kuala Lumpur for Beijing with 239 people on board.

Attention and resources in the search for the Boeing 777 have shifted from an initial focus north of the equator to an increasingly narrowed stretch of rough sea, thousands of miles from the plane's original flight path.

2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I think this is only for those who were not able to attend the meeting. They held a meeting before this announcement to tell the families.

4. baller4life315

I hope you're right. Obviously, it would be incredibly insensitive to deliver the news via text message.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Fox News tried to link the lack of Benghazi coverage to the coverage of the missing plane. They tried very hard to tie Obama to the missing plane coverage. Somehow, it was his fault. Hannity is the ****ing worst.

6. gatsby

gatsby Member

Malaysia Airlines is pathetic.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Malaysia Airlines confirms it sent a text to <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=%23MH370&amp;src=hash">#MH370</a> passengers' family before briefing them. <a href="http://t.co/JuJgqSR51W">http://t.co/JuJgqSR51W</a> <a href="http://t.co/MhJBfJTA8h">pic.twitter.com/MhJBfJTA8h</a></p>&mdash; CNN (@CNN) <a href="https://twitter.com/CNN/statuses/448112781284216833">March 24, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Still don't know why the plane crashed. This brings closure to the families, and the theory that the plane actually landed somewhere, but that's it.

8. justtxyank

Yes, they are absolutely bad in a right wing bias way. No disagreement.

Where I say MSNBC is worse is that they combine bias with shock jock tactics like screaming anchors calling people sluts or saying they should have people poop in their throats or die of heart attacks, etc.

If Rush ever had a timeslot on Fox News tv where he was ranting for an hour, then they'd be the equivalent of MSNBC.

9. hooroo

hooroo Member

They'd have to finfd the wreckage first. The Malaysian govt keeps denying it was the lithium battery cargo that caused a fire. Lucky for them those Tesla cars aren't popular enough for news coverage in Asia.

10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Glenn Beck did that.

11. justtxyank

Glenn Beck called people sluts and said the Vice President should die? Or that someone should take a dump in a democrats mouth? While on Fox News??? :confused:

I missed that news story.

12. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

If you don't see that Glenn Beck was as bad or worse than some of the yahoos they have on MSNBC I don't know what to say then.

13. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bringing this discussion away from the eternal pissing match of Fox News vs. MSNBC...

Is it true that black boxes record in two hour loops? If so, it seems unlikely we'll ever really know why the pilots veered off-course if the black box erased itself a few times over as the plane kept flying. Unless the pilots were incapacitated and some other people took control of the plane.

Would it be possible to recover phone data from the passengers' phones if they're ever found, like unsent text messages? Again, this seems like an impossibly hard task.

14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I was wondering this as well. And thank you for getting it back to the Hangout topic (at least for a few minutes). :)

15. justtxyank

Glenn Beck is a ridiculous personality, I don't dispute that. Again, you said he did "that" in response to the things I laid out. I don't know of him every being hateful towards individuals in that manner. I've only seen that his fox show was full of elaborate conspiracy theories that tried to tie everything into some crazy liberal billionaire's scheme. I don't recall him making outrageous statements like "Nancy Pelosi is a left wing slut!" or "I hope Biden has a heart attack and dies" or "Someone should take a dump in Hillary Clinton's mouth" or any of the other insanely hateful statements that regularly get said on the airwaves of MSNBC.

16. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You're right and I apologize for adding to it.
    From what I've been reading we might never know what was on the black boxes because if the plane crashed into the ocean a few miles deep the black boxes might never be found. They only have a limited time pinging adn the clock has been ticking for more than two weeks already.

I also doubt any cell phone that was on the plane is in condition to be recoverable.

We might just have to be resigned to never knowing what actually happened.

17. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

Please refrain from discussing this topic in this thread:grin:

[​IMG]

18. baller4life315

So with this new knowledge, I'm beginning to rethink my commandeering and/or suicidal flight crew theory.

I highly doubt the plan was to fly along aimlessly for hours over the Indian Ocean until the plane simply ran out of fuel. The end game in that scenario doesn't much make sense.

It sounds like the flight crew really may have been incapacitated.

19. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Yeah, it is looking like that is one of the deepest regions of ocean in that part of the globe. :(

(Spoilered for size of this depth map)
    [​IMG]

20. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

Only voice communications is on a 2 hourloop, they will have the rest of the data.