1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[breaking] Malaysian Airlines loses contact with Beijing-bound flight, 239 on board

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Commodore, Mar 7, 2014.

1. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

That's so compelling that I'd watch updates about it on a weekly basis.

1 person likes this.
  2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

He updated his theory (original G+ post was 5 days old).

http://www.wired.com/autopia/2014/03/mh370-electrical-fire/

3. SacTown

SacTown Member

4. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

Me too. Also, if they are on a little island (correct me if im wrong) they would not be in direct contact with anyone else but once an agency came to them asking questions they told them what they saw.

5. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

The Captain is supposedly a atheist or his online profile suggests that he is one, with a bunch atheism and rationalism videos in his playlist and being subscribed to Richard Dawkins channel. I can't really say anything about the co-pilot, but it doesn't seem like he is hardcore muslim, since it looks like he invited a bunch of hot white chicks into the cockpit during a flight to try to impress them.

6. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

If it was able to shadow another 777 without being detected and land in Afghanistan/Pakistan/Western China, this has to be the greatest heist in history.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

He might be the greatest pilot ever if he pulled it off.

8. Major

Major Member

Unfortunately, we don't have anything close to satellite coverage of the whole hemisphere all the time.

9. SacTown

SacTown Member

Major - Please post more in this thread. What is your best theory on this? I typically like your takes on these type of things as they are rarely knee-jerk like the rest of us.

10. Brando2101

Brando2101 Contributing Member

A lot of the stuff we know about was likely developed with military research money a few years ago. I agree that it is unlikely we have that level of tech but in truth you never know.

11. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

From the sound of things, they absolutely have enough information on the main pilot to get search warrants (or whatever equivalent that country has) for his things. Couldn't they get with his cell phone company and retrieve all his text messages, emails, etc and see if there was ANY communication of this plan? Might be more fruitful at this point than trying to track the plane down via multiple country secondary radar and eye witnesses. I'm just curious. I'm sure somebody's government is looking into that, but I haven't seen anything in any articles discussing it yet.

12. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't fathom the sheer terabytes of storage that would be necessary to store hi def images of the entire hemisphere for even as short a time as a day.

13. Major

Major Member

To be honest, I have no clue. I don't even have a favorite option. Every theory seems to be full of endless holes - there's really nothing that I can come up with that makes sense. I find it hard to believe the plane actually managed to land somewhere as opposed to crashing and being at the bottom of an ocean, but I can't even discount that option.

On a side note, I do think it's an interesting look into the technology we have and don't have in this world. It's crazy how much stuff we're able to learn after the fact; but its also crazy how long it's taking to learn that and how much we simply can't figure out.

I think one problem is having enough satellites in place to even cover the whole area. And you can't really hide those - that would be fairly well known info, I would think. And then you'd have to get them all in different proper orbits to constantly overlap and cover all the whole world consistently.

From what I know (which is limited), we still have to target satellites when we want consistent coverage of a specific area. Or we have to wait for our satellites to go overhead of an area to get proper coverage, etc.

14. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

Ok, so as far as we know, there aren't hi def images available. Otherwise, you see my point, right? We know it was at XX coordinates, find it. Then continue following the pictures frame by frame.

My feeling is that we have the capability, and likely the Chinese too, but are unwilling to let the other know for certain.

I guess there would be no reason to have sats over the desolate Indian Ocean 24/7. Likely the only sats watching that area are weather related, focusing on infrared, and other wave lengths, rather than traditional light photos.

15. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Correct me if I'm wrong but most satellites that do surveillance that might help are geosynchronous and are sitting on top of land masses worth surveying.

I think the odds of a satellite sitting on top of remote spots in the indian ocean would be quite low as a result.

16. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

17. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I think at the end of this, its gonna be probably something really simple. The airplane exploded into pieces all over the Gulf of Thailand or something like that.

18. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>This plane thing has Me beat.</p>&mdash; God (@TheTweetOfGod) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheTweetOfGod/statuses/446062820069609473">March 18, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1 person likes this.
  19. trueroxfan

trueroxfan Member

It would have been found by now. The water isn't that deep, it's a very busy shipping and flying zone, there are plenty of satellites in the area. Not to mention it's been searched for a week now. No, I think one of the few things we know for certain is that it did not crash in the Gulf of Thailand. It was in the air for way too long to still have been in the Gulf.

20. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

We will never know what happened to that plane... this will be one of the great mysteries of our time.