1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Traffic accident (other person at fault)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXTXIA, Mar 12, 2014.

1. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

San Antonio's a weird town.

I hadn't visited for many years, since I was a kid. I took my wife there 3 years ago. Of course we loved all the tourist stuff and Hemisfair Park and la dee da...

But there are such wide open swaths of nothing, and darkened areas. It feels like everything is concentrated in the River Walk and maybe one other area....and the rest is, like, tumblin' tumbleweeds.

If the driving is worse? I'll stay here.

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I understand what you're talking about. You are right about it being a "deceleration lane", but that doesn't mean that any faster car can just jump in front of anyone else without warning. There needs to be ample space between them and the slower car. The other person in the red truck didn't allow enough space. Clearly they are at fault and it seems they've accepted it and are paying for it. :eek:

3. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I'll say this (as OP):

It was scary. Life changes in a flash. La la la la la....truck jumps, we swerve, brake, can't avoid barrels, CRASH, FLIP.

After I gave them details of the incident, the other driver's insurance company said to keep receipts of this, that, and the other thing. So looks like I'll be reimbursed what I'm out of pocket.

But the vengeful never-forget-my-wife-screaming-and-crying-in-terror part of me would hope this talking-on-her-cellphone, nearly-killed-me lady should have to pay more than raised insurance premiums.

1 person likes this.
  4. MexAmercnMoose

imagine riding a motorcycle in houston streets...i'm terrified everytime i drive it, people just don't pay attention, especially the *#&$)@& that are texting and driving...i swear every other person i see next to me while driving is texting and driving...something needs to be done

5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Yeah, stop riding a motorcycle.

6. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I bought a dash cam bc of this thread, smh. Now I'm thinking of buying a hummer, or maybe a volvo.

7. cdeezballz

cdeezballz Member

Glad things are looking like they are going to be worked out in your favor...

8. dmc89

dmc89 Member

I also ride a motorcycle in Houston, and I'm either pissed or afraid or both after getting to my destination. Drivers who are reading this, please PLEASE don't text and drive, don't change lanes without using indicators, and finally be very careful making left-hand turns. That empty road might actually have had a motorcyclist whose body was crushed beneath your SUV.

OP, I've had several close encounters because the driving standards in this country are deplorable. Too many idiots have licenses.

9. Classic

Classic Member

OP, do you have Personal Injury Protection on your own policy?

standard amount is like $2500

I was in an accident several years back. Geico (Ins Co of at fault party) paid all the medical bills plus some lost wages/down time/hassle and then I claimed all the PIP on my policy for the same medical bills.

Only situation in personal insurance where you can 'profit.' In my case, I've had recurring back issues so don't think in the long run I'm going to actually come out ahead. Should have negotiated more P&S with Geico.

This is also the same money PI attorneys love to take from you as a retainer.

10. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I've seen more idiots with motorcycles riding faster and recklessly and disobeying the laws in proportion to the idiots with cars. :eek:

11. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

No kidding - if your driving your motorcycle 30mph OVER the speed limit on the freeway and someone pulls in front of you..its NOT because they didn't see you, its because you WERE NOT THERE AT ALL when they looked the first or 2nd time.

Slow your butt down and obey the laws.

12. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Sorry to hear this happened to you. Glad you and the misses are safe. I personally wouldn't sue..but then again I have a natural dislike for lawsuits and lawyers.

Funny thing - I was never in a wreck in Houston. Had one in Huntsville (the other guy pulled out in front of me & we both had the same insurance..crazy thing is that we ended up working on a project together a few years later)

But when I moved to DFW, I was in 3 wrecks in the first 3 years. NONE of them were my fault and NONE OF THE OTHER DRIVERS HAD INSURANCE. After the 3rd accident my insurance agent called me and said that I was going to be receiving a cancellation notice on my insurance..but to disregard the notice because he wouldn't let them cancel..especially since none of them were my fault.

13. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

You wouldn't sue??? Every one has a different situation man. My medical bill for the FIRST day in hospital was over 30k ALONE. Totaled vehicle that was paid off and my body will never ever be the same. That's just the start of it, all because an ass hole decided to get drunk and commit suicide driving down wrong side of freeway. Would you let him off the hook and just swallow it all because of some macho dislike for lawyers? **** that, he needs to do what he needs to do. He didn't burn his mouth on McDonald's coffee, its diff from that.

14. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Good to hear you're alright. But hey, look on the bright side, at least you have a wife. I can't even find a girlfriend. Lol

15. Dei

Dei Member

You claim the price then you substantiate it before a jury. It depends on the jury how much they feel is fair.

16. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

You are most definitely due that at least..plus $$ for pain and suffering. However, most reputable insurance companies will pay your medical bills and automatically offer $$ for pain and suffering. IF for some strange reason the Insurance companies doesn't pay up, then yes by all means sue. I'm just saying I wouldn't sue for more than I'm due.

17. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

I'm not sure they would pay anything if you don't force their hand to at least be fair. I just don't want him to get screwed being passive. On the other hand, I'm glad your OK after 3 straight accidents yourself. Ever seen the movie Unbreakable?? Stan Lee needs to talk with you lol

18. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Yes...

[​IMG]