1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NYPost] Rockets could make push for Carmelo (UPDATE: Blog post)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ItsMyFault, Mar 13, 2014.

1. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

If true, the guy still ain't learn his lesson.
    <iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/fLrpBLDWyCI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The other LA team doesn't have the space to make the move and the main LA team sucks...both New York teams suck and Chicago is a reasonable option but compared to Houston?

2. ctry2582

ctry2582 Member

Quite the contrary. Phil Jackson is the kinda guy with cojones to actually trade away Melo/let him walk.

3. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Ny may not be willing to do a sign and trade with us if parsons isn't included and we may not be able to get a melo without a sign and trade.
    And morey would trade parsons for a third superstar. If the rondo rumors were true I'm sure it had more to do with Dwight and harden working with rondo and rondos health. Melo is healthy and beating, if ny says include parsons and you got a sign and trade, morey will do it. I have no doubt about that

4. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

*beasting

5. Classic

Classic Member

I've been thinking that quite a bit lately.

6. basketballholic

Knicks may not be willing to do a sign-and-trade. Fine. If Melo wants to come here and we want him we clear cap.

Asik/Jones/14 first rounder to Philly for the New Orleans pick(10-14).

Lin and New Orleans pick plus $3.3 million to Utah.....or Orlando.....or Boston....or some other team with cap space that wants a lottery pick. (Perhaps Philly takes on both Asik and Lin. I could see that.)

DMo, Canaan, Covington for the best collection of future draft picks we can find.

Sign Melo outright for around $21 million starting salary.

Go on down the road.

7. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

My thoughts exactly, NY will want Parsons, Asik and possible Lin with some fillers. I don't why some people think we will bring a great wing scorer to play power forward. Yes during small ball lineups but he will be our starting 3. I am pretty sure Parson will not want to come off the bench. But then again he might be that ultimate team player who sacrifices for the betterment of the team and take on that 6 man role.

8. basketballholic

Doesn't matter what NY wants. NY wants Harden and Howard too. We're not giving them Howard nor Harden nor Parsons for Melo. You guys should really stop wasting time bringing up Parsons in any trade equations for the next year. He's not going to be traded...period.

9. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

No. First Philly would prefer their pick. Secondly, you're saying we'd get rid of everyone on the roster except bev cp harden and Dwight cuz that would equal 39 mil. Plus 21 for Carmelo. You're at 60. And then sign everyone else to minimums? No sorry but that wouldn't work.

Parsons would be included in the sign and trade for melo.

10. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Harden for Melo? Hell yes! Get it done Morey!

1 person likes this.
  11. houston#1

houston#1 Rookie

Agreed. Plus, Parsons helped recruit Howard to come here. No way Rockets will trade him and I believe Parsons will stay here for his whole career.

12. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

Everybody is tossing out their opinions bruh just like you. Nothing factual, just a hypothetical guess. You don't know what the Rockets will do just like we don't know. Yes Harden and Howard won't be traded but Parson might be out the door if we get Melo. But then again Parson can be the 6th man coming off the bench. Who knows, we shall see indeed once we cross that mountain.

13. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

I don't get the attachment to Parson's. Even comparing him to Harden and Howard as far as untouchables go, I mean are you really serious??

Chandler Parson's is a nice player on a nice deal. You can say PER is stupid, and it largely is when used in the wrong context, but Parsons is sitting at a mighty 16 now. He plays a lot of minutes, I get it, but as far as overall offensive efficiency goes, he's not all that awesome.

He's a good player, untouchable? Doubtful.

Did Morey say he was untradable? No.

With that said, Deckard had probably the best post on this subject. If we get Melo, I expect The Olympic do-it-all stretch 4, monster rebounding version of melo -- that can also score relatively efficiently on just about anyone at will.(especially if you throw out all of the wasted possessions when he was relied on to bail them out with a bad shot.)

You put Beverely, Harden, Carmelo, (whoever), Howard, I can't finish this sentence, drool on keyboard.

Is parsons even better than carmelo at anything pertaining to basketball? Name me one thing Parson's does better (besides being underpaid)???

Carmelo Anthony is a once in a decade type of offensive juggernaut. Parson's is easily replaceable. Get real guys.

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

I love me some Chandler Parsons, but it's comical how overrated he is on this board...

15. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Parsons recruiting Howard does make him valuable yes, but it's dillusional to think morey won't trade him. If he thinks it will improve the chance to win a title, he will do it even if Howard demands he stays.

If melo wants to come here, there won't be that many ways to do it, and parsons may have to be traded.

What the warriors did was different. Howard is only a few million less than lee and bogut combined. And hardens makes almost as much as both curry and Klays salary. And melo would be looking to make 9 mil more than iggy

16. jacoby

jacoby Member

Morey can move Asik and Lin in Golden State-esque firesales to free up the room. We would probably have to include a 1st for Lin but we can still get some value for Omer Asik. A team like Philly would absorb Omer's salary for pennies on the dollar so Hinkie can flip him to a contender at the deadline for a net gain.

Parsons stays in this scenario. No sign and trade. Simple.

17. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Yes, ideally we keep Parsons and get Melo.

Now that would be just plain silly. Imagine that team, if at least for just one season.

Bev
    Harden
    Parsons
    Melo
    Howard

EVERYONE is going to have to sacrifice with that team and it's most likely Howard on the offensive end (outside of pnr and lobs.) Harden can go back to his ultra efficient ways, Parsons is used in mainly cuts and spot ups, imagine the melo post up to dwight howard lob.

I get shivers, I really do.

18. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Read end of previous post

19. basketballholic

I've already explained this multiple times.

Projected cap $62.9 million

Howard $21,436,271
    Harden $14,728,844
    Parsons $964, 750
    Beverley $915,243
    8 minimum salary slots $4,058,688 (8x507,336)

Total: $42,103.796

Difference: $62,900,000 - $42,103,796 = $20,796,204

If the cap goes to $62.9 million and we clear everybody but our big 4, we can give Melo a starting salary of $20.8 million. That's $1.7 million less than his max.

If Melo wants to come here and the Rox want him here...this can happen and we would be left stacked with draft picks after moving everybody out. Not to mention our guys in Europe already. One more season and we could add Llull if he wanted to come. And don't tell me we couldn't find plenty of guys to add around these 5 using Minimum Salary Exceptions, the Bi-Annual Exception, and the Room MLE next season.

However, I don't think this is likely to happen. I think the Knicks would acquiesce to a sign-and-trade once they saw Melo was going to walk on them.

And better than that...Melo may decide to force a trade prior to June 30th and the exercise of his opt-out. That would be the ideal scenario for him. Tell the Knicks to trade him to where he wants to go (so he can sign an extension or wait until the end of next season and sing a fresh 5-year deal with max raises) or he's gonna walk. (I thought he might do this at the deadline.)

From the Knicks perspective...if Melo leaves...they are rebuilding. They should take Asik and Lin for Melo and be done with it. Go to the lottery next year, hold on to their parts until the trade deadline and unload them for more picks (Chandler, Bargnani, Stoudamire) and buy out JR Smith and Felton for their 2015-16 options so they can clear them off the books. Re-sign Lin and Asik to reasonable salaries, pick up a lottery pick plus other picks and have enough cap space in 2015 for possibly 2 max free agents. 1-year rebuild.

20. finsraider

finsraider Member

Well, do share. We're almost 3 months from that now.

1 person likes this.