1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kings to sign Royce White, assign him to D-League team

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SRR21, Mar 5, 2014.

1. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

#BeWe..

Couldn't type that with a straight face.

2. acsorelle4

acsorelle4 Member

3. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Rep to anybody who can post a list of all the players that have played for both the rockets and kings at one time in there career.

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Royce White was a Rocket much in the same way I would be a Rocket if I put on an official jersey and took some pictures.

Eddie Griffin was at his core a good person who had personal demons consume him. Royce White is a con man. Big difference.

5. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

"So, Royce, how do you feel to get a chance to play for the Kings?"

"If we still have time, we might still get by
    Every time I think about it I want to cry
    With bombs and the devil, little kids keep coming
    No way to breathe easy, no time to be young

"But I tell myself that I was doing alright
    There's nothing left to do tonight

"But go crazy on you, crazy on you
    Let me go crazy, crazy on you
    ":mad::p:eek::eek::rolleyes::mad:

- Heart

6. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

The wheel on the bus go 'round N 'round, 'round N 'round, 'round N 'round.

Does he get a customised RV this time for his D-L travels?

7. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Hell no! You probably paid $100 for the Rockets Jersey but White got paid millions for his!

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

What about listing only good players that played for both?

Otis, Kenny Smith, Artest, Martin, Landry....

10. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

PREDICTION:
    Royce flies to whichever of the next 4 games he needs to.
    He shows the Kings he is 'ready' to do what it takes

Kings give him contract.

Royce has 'anxiety attack' and can no longer fly.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

The Kings sure have a monopoly on a-holes between Cousins, Gay, and White.

White gay cousins... heh...

12. Jontro

Jontro Member

Dude has super all star potential and is a true professional, hope he retires a Rocket.

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

LOL, that's hilarious.

14. Throttle

Throttle Member

no wonder jimmer wanted out lol

15. treeman

treeman Member

I just laughed when I saw this. What else is there to do?

1 person likes this.
  16. atomicanderz

atomicanderz Member

After the check clears, Royce will fear...
    "hire me, hire me"... Later, I'll have anxiety...

17. J.R.

J.R. Member

http://www.nba.com/2014/news/featur...-sacramento-kings/index.html?ls=iref:nbahpt6d

NOBODY ASKED ME, BUT...

Will things work out this time for Royce White?

White is taking another shot at the NBA, after being a surprising cut by the 76ers at the end of training camp. The 22-year-old forward is in the midst of a 10-day contract he signed last week with Sacramento, which assigned him to its D-League affiliate in Reno. White has played in two games for Reno, with two games remaining -- both in Reno -- before the Kings would have to decide whether to sign him to a second 10-day deal.

Indications are that is exactly what the Kings want to do. Indeed, Sacramento is intrigued enough with White that you shouldn't be surprised if the Kings keep White the rest of the season.

White, one of the Rockets' three first-round Draft picks in 2012, never played a minute in Houston. He did, however, play in 16 games for Houston's D-League affiliate in Rio Grande Valley. He and the team were never able to come to a workable arrangement that would, in White's view, successfully address his anxiety issues.

White suffers from generalized anxiety disorder, a condition that covers any number of fears and phobias that manifest themselves in different ways. Much was made about White's flying anxieties, for example, but those stories were overblown. That particular anxiety was but a symptom of the bigger disorder, and the Rockets and White had agreed on his being able to use a bus to drive to cities where he could avoid taking flights.

The bigger issue White and the Rockets had with one another was who would have the final say on White's daily condition. White believed an independent physician, not one that was affiliated with the Rockets, should give final say on whether or not White was capable of playing on a given day. What, White hypothesized, if he had an anxiety attack the morning of a game and was unable to play that night? You can't take an aspirin to make the anxiety go away, and the things you can take are often among the most addictive medications one can use.

In an interview with Dave Zirin and The Nation magazine in January, White said he wanted to continue his NBA career, but that there had to be protocols in place.

"My situation's got to a point where you can't talk about how to proceed with mental illness as an individual without talking about procedure on an entire league scale," White said in the interview. "That's just the way that the league's got to do it at this point, because of liability and all those kinds of issues.

"Yeah, I definitely still want to play, I'm pursuing it and I'm trying to develop relationships with some teams and trying to clear a path where we can find that balance between supporting mental illness and what that means, and what the business is right now in the NBA. But again, like I said, when you talk about what I'll need is tough to say.

"We really, in terms of me and my representation, we didn't ask for anything more than when possible allow me to drive, and when necessary I'd have to fly; and I was OK with that as well. Outside of that, it's really just respecting and regarding mental illness in the same format that you regard physical illness or injury. And the reason why you can't do that, the reason why we tried to do that is because then we could just use what we already had in our collective bargaining agreement because there's nothing in the CBA that pertains to mental illness -- which causes a big problem, obviously, not having anything on the books on how to proceed."

There haven't been those kinds of discussions with the Kings yet. Both sides are proceeding cautiously -- "real slow," a source said. But there are big differences in White's favor with Sacramento. He wasn't the Kings' first-round pick. There's no guaranteed money at stake. There are no issues that owners have to become involved with yet, no need to bring in lawyers. Both sides can walk away.

The main thing, according to team sources, is to find out if White still has the desire to play -- and if so, then evaluating how he responds to the Kings/Bighorns environment. The initial signs have been encouraging.

"I think they wanted him to come down and just get some game minutes and show he could be a good teammate and play in our system, and he's done all of that," Bighorns Coach Joel Abelson said by phone Sunday. "He's not in great game shape yet, but he's working on that every day, with our coaches and the Kings' staff that's down here. He definitely shows flashes of very high level play. Right now, without being in shape, he's got NBA level elite strength. There's not a guy in our league who can move him. He can get wherever he wants to on the floor. His ability to see the floor is obviously what's intriguing."

White can't go side-to-side much yet, given his lack of conditioning. But he can play in the post. In two games, he's averaging 5.5 points, 4.5 rebounds and 3 assists in 27 minutes.

"You could see he hasn't played in a while," a league source said over the weekend. "But you could see the flashes, like 'a big guy like that can make a pass like that?' "

The Kings and White have been talking for a few weeks -- White flew out to Sacramento to meet with Sacramento officials before signing the 10-day deal. The Kings were impressed that White was willing to do that when he could have easily spent the next couple of months working out, then signed with someone to play Summer League.

White's 10-day deal expires on Saturday, the day after Reno plays at home against Idaho. If everything works out, White will likely get a second 10-day, and move down to Sacramento, where he'll work out and play with the Kings. They will be finishing a long East coast/Midwest road trip next Sunday. After they return, they'll have four straight games at Sleep Train Arena (March 18-26), so there will be no travel issues. (Everyone insists this is a coincidence. I don't believe in coincidences.)

"We're looking at this as a 10-day basketball contract," Kings General Manager Pete D'Alessandro said Sunday. "The conversations with us and Royce have been really positive. We're looking forward to his continued growth. We'll take this day by day and see where it leads us."

If they and White go forward, the idea will be for the "partnership," as one source put it, to succeed. For now, everyone's in the getting to know you, honeymoon stages of the relationship.

"I was the head coach last year in Sioux Falls, and he came up to me and started a conversation with me," Abelson said. "We had dinner the first night he got here. We walked through some things on the court and then we went and had dinner. We're developing the kind of relationship where we're talking all the time ... he's a thoughtful, engaging guy. Very intelligent. Hey, I'm 31. He could, in a different lifetime, be a friend of mine."

White gets a lot of hate from bozos with Twitter Muscles, but he steadfastly refuses to be a victim. And his hard questioning forces people -- and leagues -- to think better about how they are serving the mentally ill. He cannot "suck it up" and do what others do easily. That he is 6-foot-8 and can play basketball well does not change that in any way. The Kings have the luxury of seeing what didn't work in Houston, and with time, they can tailor a plan with White that serves them both. Stay tuned.​

18. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

Royce should be glad Malaysian Airlines don't fly to Sacramento. #toosoon? #bewell

19. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Anything for a laugh, huh?

20. Elmhurst NY

Elmhurst NY Member

What a horrible post. I hope you get banned.