1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Didn't Daryl Morey say high turnovers is a side effect of the run and gun style the Rockets play?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

JVG loves Morey and worked with him. Morey didn't want to fire JVG and pretty much said that.

2. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Who ever wants to fire anyone? It is an ugly task, take my word for it. Especially when dealing with incredibly likeable people like JVG. But Morey did fire him and moved on. Just like he fired Adelman.

3. Bandwagoner

Wrong. Morey fired JVG because Les wanted him gone on account he was too grumpy in press conferences and Les wanted an up and down style team, with Yao. Which was stupid.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Really? Fire a coach because he was grumpy. How petty. And have you watched Pop's interviews? He is setting new standards in grumpiness. Les is certainly not a petty person. JVG was not interested in implementing statistical studies into his coaching. Which I admit includes Morey's insistence on pace and taking the much higher percentage shot early in the shot clock. Now that is a non-petty reason to fire a head coach.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

Les has said that he's often struck by rage like the worst of fans, but says he can be talked out of it because he understands his own limitation in that regard. I have literally no doubt Morey could have talked him out of it, if he felt that way.

6. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Everything Rockets comes down to what Morey wants. That much is certain. And we, as fans, can be thankful for it.

7. Bandwagoner

Yes he is. HE was furious during Linsanity and it could have easily resulted in Morey's firing.
    JVG was interested in analytics and Morey has said as much. You are just projecting your view of JVG which directly contradicts the facts agreed on by all parties.

8. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I must assume you have serious inside sources, because your opinion is not backed up by news sources.

And really. Les fire Morey over a fourth string PG? Man.

9. Bandwagoner

Widely available interviews with JVG, Morey and LES.

10. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

I assume you can publish the sources of your information?

11. Aleron

Alexander has had 3 GMs and 4 coaches in his entire tenure, he's never fired anyone while still under contract for any reason, the only other teams with such stability have had extended success through that period.

Given our lack of success past his first couple years, there's an argument that he could have been more pro active, particularly on the GM front.

Yes he gets hot headed, and rages, but he never follows through with it, there's a saying here; Actions speak louder than words. This saying is also very important for Morey, who loves to give us legalese 5 potential meanings in one statement, that can then really only have its correct meaning derived from his actions.

12. meh

meh Contributing Member

No one's going to say these things publicly, but if you listen to Morey the year before the Harden trade, it was clear he was under a ton of pressure from Les. Bill Simmons, while not to be taken seriously in general but still very much connected with Morey, talked about how Morey went from almost becoming a Grantland staffer to Dwight/Harden in less than a year. Morey himself during Lin's signing called it his big(est?) blunder.

Was it just Lin? Certainly not. Les isn't complaining about Dragic or Lowry these days. But the Rockets were perpetually mediocre back then and Les was pissed. Heck, I was pissed that year, and I have consistently believe Morey to be a top-5 GM throughout his tenure here.

13. Aleron

I don't think there's much doubt that Harden got Morey his extension, but it's very unlikely Les would have fired him early, that's just not Les (and it's basically one of his selling points - I sign you for 4 years, you're here for 4 years, look at my record)

Les even openly said that he "would have gone another direction" (we all know that that means) when his contract was up, which was the end of this year wasn't it?

14. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yep. Les never acts irrationally. He is a great NBA owner. And he hires and takes advice from people with exceptional insight. Morey. They basically gave JVG and Adelman their walking papers. And with good reason I imagine. The Rockets are a class organization. From the top on down.

15. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Any claim that Morey's job was in jeopardy is, of course, only speculation. I am a cold hard facts type of guy. Suppositions mean just about nothing to me. Supposition is opinion and not based in facts. Nothing more.

16. ChippedToothLin

Just making excuses IMO. Turnovers ain't ever good.

17. bmd

bmd Member

No you aren't. If you were a cold hard facts type of guy, you wouldn't be filling in the blanks of Morey's comments with your own guesses.

You would take what Morey said at face value and wouldn't try to connect dots by doing mental gymnastics.

18. QazQay

QazQay Member

Higher pace also means more possessions per game

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

LOL. As if Morey's statement was not enough. I used the line "Do you have squid for brains?" once in a high level corporate meeting. "That may tell us something" is just a nicer way of putting it. And then there is the fact that JVG was given the boot. After Morey was GM for two weeks. Bold. And the team is, of course, much better off with McHale.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2874873
    http://hardwoodparoxysm.com/2014/03...innovations-with-george-karl-and-daryl-morey/

20. zipcrash

zipcrash Member

he means 13-18. not 20+ turnovers.