1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jeremy Lin is a joke!!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dei, Nov 12, 2012.

?

Is Jeremy Lin a joke?

1. Yes :)

321 vote(s)
    42.3%
  2. No :(

437 vote(s)
    57.7%
  1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

To add insult to injury .... What happened to all those Volvo ads?

2. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

He wouldn't even cut it there, he would be relegated to the outdoor courts by Jester.

3. Razsan

Razsan Member

Use of the words "at least" and "much" insinuate that
    A) You don't know what you're talking about
    or
    B) You're a Lin hater who is trying to incite
    or
    C) Both

4. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

cool story. your post are so interesting.

5. BackNthDay

BackNthDay Member

I just don't like his basketball IQ (Harvard guy). Bad passes, poor dribbling, it's like he has reached his ceiling and will not get better.

6. dobro1229

One fair "glass half full" point though that needs to be mentioned is that despite how much he's sucked in this role he's still at the very least Harden insurance in case of injury. Not something I want to tie up 8 mil in cap space for but at least the Rockets have some sort of positive in Jeremy Lin the player right now.

7. Samo

Samo Member

Who knows the results now? Who can tell the future? Winners don't have down time? Winners never lose? Winners are not only the people always win but they can also be the people who fight through difficulties and never lose hope and courage. And that's who Lin is.

And what's the role a person can play when a winner is down? Laugh at him? Devour him like a vulture? What will the person look like when the winner stands up again? A loser?

8. ehman316

ehman316 Member

This role clearly shows he does not fit in the system as of now. He needs to control the ball and make his own plays to have any relevance. Defense has been poor, jump passing leading to turnovers, and poor ball protection. It would be nice if he practiced running off screens and pop some shots, but we know that midrange shot is not in the cards for McHale's system.

9. Razsan

Razsan Member

At least it's not some inane comment that uses some random made up fact.
    Face it, you just don't like Lin and are reveling in his slump. The kid is playing poorly but was also the same kid who dropped 38 on the Spurs and Lakers, had a triple double and was an important part of the team success during earlier stretches.

10. TheJet

TheJet Member

The current results are that Lin is not playing well. The more people make excuses for his poor play the more they will be attacked. The point is that, when all is said and done, the results matter. Winning players deliver positive results.

However there is an interesting side bar. Players like Stockton/Malone were clearly great (although I despised them) players. They were winners in their own right but never won it all. Is the existence of MJ (GOAT) and the Bulls a valid excuse for them not winning a title? Are the Stockton/Malone Jazz losers?

Perhaps another debate for another time.

11. Fighton

Fighton Member

he started all of 82 games last year, while coming back from knee surgery and played through multiple sprained ankles, and tried to play through chest contusions, these are the facts.

keith smart, his coach at GSW, told a story once of lin dislocating his shoulder in practice, and rather than sitting out practice, popped it back into place on his own and got back on the court without missing any practice time. this another fact.

if anything, i think he tries to play too early in his recovery time and ends up hurting the team since he doesn't play well (well, no one does, really) when hurt.

reading the bible and eating in-n-out has nothing to do with toughness.

12. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

Have I ever said I dislike Lin? And you are the one saying I am making an inane comment? My comment may not be 100% accurate, but it is very debatable whether you like it or not. You don't even know me and I have made plenty of posts talking about how I want Lin to succeed on the team. I want the Rockets to succeed first and foremost so if that makes me a Lin hater in the LOF's eyes so be it. I could care less what all of you Lin fanbois think. Once he is traded hopefully most of you leave this site. It is frustrating for real Rocket fans to be here on our fan site with Lin fanbois making every excuse in the book to make Lin the best player on the team. THERE IS A JLIN FANBOI SITE YOU CAN POST ON ALL DAY. :rolleyes:

Since Lin has been a Rocket he has a good game for every few bad games. Sometimes he will string 3-4 good ones together. Then he sucks for a week or more. He is not a superstar like you all want to portray him to be and the Rockets don't need to change their offensive philosophy to benefit Lin. The team is winning right now even with Lin's horrid play. All I care about is the Rocket winning regardless who is shooting the ball or taking the last shot. Many of you Lin fanbois don't feel the same way as the real Rocket fans feel.

13. Fighton

Fighton Member

i actually thought he was coming along in this role quite well all the way from october on to Jan, playing starter minutes when harden or bev was out, and doing good work on the bench early on. back then, all i thought was needed off the bench was asik in order to have a pretty formidable bench.

he just hasn't been the same since ASG and according to reports, that was around time that his back started to act up again. let's wait till he feels better to determine whether or not he sucks in this role. i actually agree with others that if he's hurt, he needs to sit. but maybe he's not sitting because canaan really isn't ready yet. yeah he'll most likely shoot better than lin but what will he give up on the defensive end?

and if harden is to go down right now, we're screwed. lin currently is not much of an insurance at all.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Bwahahaha - the ultimate scrub court.

15. Matthieu

Matthieu Member

i almost threw something at my tv when it happened last night ... :eek:

16. redearth

redearth Contributing Member

I like the guy for his underdog backstory and I hope that at the end of next season he can honestly say that he's played up to his contract. In the meantime, as a Rox fan, it's frustrating as heck to watch. Before last season, I was joking about tanking. Now we're 41 and 19, with a shot at chasing down the 2 spot.

Jeremy Lin may not be a joke, but wow, his impact needs to be a lot more than it is currently.

17. maniaxzero

maniaxzero Member

In Jeremy's words:

"Although I haven't been playing as well as I hoped to, I know it's a long season of ups-and-downs. There are few things more discouraging than going through slumps, but after being in the league for four years, I understand that they are inevitable and that I just need to stay focused and keep giving it my all. One thing I have been learning to focus on during basketball slumps is to depend more on God and try to love Him more. It helps me keep basketball and life in the proper perspective, and gives me the strength to persevere when I am mentally or physically weary. We can't always perform as well as we want to, but we can control how we respond and who we turn to when things get rough."

One verse that has spoken loud to me is Joshua 1:9 -- "Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged for the Lord your God is with you wherever you go".

http://www.jlin7.com/blogs/journal/12668553-all-star-break-and-the-road-trip

18. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I don't care about the words of his god or anything like that. I just care if he performs or not. He needs to turn his **** around soon or start warming the bench when Canaan still his minutes. His play of late makes garbage look valuable.

19. dobro1229

Asik is back and the Rockets are essentially going twin towers off the bench in the paint with a more "Sustain" lineup which is a huge advantage. Lin was essentially playing small ball off the bench before that when he was producing well.

The problem is Lin is still trying to play at a super frantic pace and trying to make home run plays to get himself going when really he needs to play within himself and play within the strengths of that group.

Lin doesn't have to score 17 a night to be an effective PG for that second unit. He's just literally has to NOT turn the ball over which is the Achilles heel of that second unit. If they play in the half court on defense there are very few if any second units in the NBA that can score much at all against an Asik/D-Mo front line in a half court set defense.

-Honestly - No offense but I dont want to hear any more excuses about Lin's back. Its BS. If he's injured dont play. If not, your back hurting isn't going to make you all the sudden throw dumb passes in traffic at the ankles of Asik, and drive to the basket with nowhere to go. Nothing about Lin's play as of recently screams "Back Pain right there". Its between the ears all day and night long.

-As for Canaan, I think he'd be a decent upgrade from Lin at first on the defensive end in all honestly. Lin is not a very good defender at all, gets caught ball watching waaayy too often, and is slow to help & recover. I dont see how Canaan can get much worse unless he play matador defense which is simply effort related... which I doubt. Canaan will be hungry to play if given minutes and should do fairly well on the defensive end at first.

Offensively, you'll just have to wait and see if he can hit shots against NBA defenses and if he is still able to make shots in the paint that he has shown he can make against smaller & worse defenses in the D-League and college.

Canaans shot selection hasn't been incredibly great at the D-League level since he loves the pull-up three, but is fairly low risk in the turnover category because he really doesn't seem to be a guy that will try and play at a frantic combustible pace when attacking the rim. His tendencies are probably going to be more focused on moving the ball around to get off a three ASAP.

20. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

I kind of agree. Sometimes it comes to the point where you just have to stop talking and let your actions speak for you. Even the TC has started to lose its patience and the people there are the least critical fans of all. They won't care what he says to the media, they and all the rockets fans just want him to be able to take care of the ball.