1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lack of Rockets talk on Houston Sports Radio

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Air Langhi, Mar 22, 2013.

1. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

The only relevant Rockets talk on 790 in the morning is when they interview either Ackerman, Friedman, JB or Morey around 7.45 AM and that too for only 10 minutes. Rest is that fool Lance who knows little Rockets spreading his football bias.

Charlie Pallilo will talk plenty of Rockets comparatively.

2. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Funny thing is Lance is always defending himself by saying there are no callers wanting to talk Rockets and that the interest just isn't there. Well, I highly doubt he'd need to defend himself constantly if it was one or two random emailers complaining about the lack of Rockets coverage. Truth is there are many who are complaining about this.

Texans are bigger in Houston than the Rockets but part of that is due to the mainstream public that just buys into the hype and loves the tailgating. Half of those texans fans are people that don't even listen to sports radio and go to games for the event, just a place to be with a lot of other people to drink and have fun.

People who listen to sports radio are die hard sports fans and out of that group, I think you will find a much higher percentage of people who do want to hear more rockets talk especially now with football season being over and with our team being very relevant now in terms of making a push for the title.

At work I know people who are die hard about sports fans and listen to sports talk, even those who love football and talk non stop about football still keep up with the rockets and can have a pretty intelligent rocket conversation with me.

At the same time, I see Soccer moms who go nuts over the Texans when they were winning but have no idea who anybody is on the team other than JJ Watt and Andre Johnson. They go all out for tailgating and at the bars wearing their t-shirts but after the game is over they go back to their daily lives completely unaffected by the outcome of the game. These people make up a large percentage of Texans fans and create much of the hype when the Texans play. These people also don't listen to sports talk.

So I think the whole idea that general public has no interest in the rockets is true but doesn't necessarily include people who listen to sports radio daily and those are the people that actually matter when it comes to what you should talk about on the radio.

3. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

They gave Rockets a little bit of love this morning on "In the Trenches"

I mean they had to really with having played Miami. You could tell ND is so not used to the basketball talk he's a major football guy. He called the Miami Heat the Miami Dolphins and talked about Michael Beasley's love of football, lol. He corrected himself but he was struggling

4. kikiscafe

kikiscafe Member

Funny, I was thinking that would be their excuse, but then shouldn't they are the one who suppose to generate the interest for the callers to talk or discuss?
    If the talk show hosts can only talk based on what the callers dictate, then, to me, they are just average radio guys.

5. chandlerbang21

i miss " THE BIG SHOW"

6. Indaface

Indaface Member

Yea that's the lamest excuse. I like how Lance tries to slob himself talking about how he's so knowledgeable about basketball and how he learned under some great minds.

No one cares how much you "know" if you aren't willing to talk about the game. You talk about the game, make a point that is interesting to the listeners, and then you get callers that want to talk about it. Well at least that's what you to if you are a good radio host.

I never really listened to 610 until 790 put on Jay Mohr and i'm glad because Mike and Seth are great radio to listen to. By far my favorite show to listen to nowadays.

7. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

I have to defend them this morning. They were easily 90% Rockets talk. I listened from 6am to 9am and the show was really good. I have no problem when they sprinkle in some other topics throughout the morning as long as the focus is Rockets, which it was this morning.

They also gave clutchfans a major plug last night after the game. They called Clutchfans a requirement for all Rockets fans.

8. chandlerbang21

Hardcore rockets talk on 610 for the last 15 mintues. Hope you naysayers are listening

9. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Adam Clanton has an account here. I listen every morning and can that, just like MattJ brfore him, he will frequently appropriate popular threads on here as talking points the morning after a game. Yall just don't give them a fair shot.

10. Metropolis777

Metropolis777 Member

Everyone knows Clanton wants to talk Rox. Its Zierlein who ruins it.

11. solodolo

solodolo Member

Jay Mohr gave us love today . At the beginning of his monologue .

Cool !

12. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I'm listening now. I don't think they're aware of Lin having a bad back for the last 2 weeks. Overall good talk now though,

13. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I often wondered that as I have heard things on there that are mentioned here fairly often. That is cool to know.

14. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I have zero issues with Adam Clanton. He loves the Rockets and is willing to talk a lot of Rockets. You can see that. He also mentions clutchfans and does post game shows on 790.

Lance OTOH is the one holding Adam back. Any time a Rockets conversation gets going, Lance finds a way to deviate to football or use a football analogy and there goes that.

15. chandlerbang21

screw Jay Mohr, The BIG SHOW should be bought back in his timeslot

16. clos4life

clos4life Member

I used to listen to the big show, but since Lance has been on I've actually started listening to 610 again. It's sad, but in the mornings they actually talk more Rockets than the so-called Rox home station.

Lance blows, Matt is fine.

17. cdrive

cdrive Contributing Member

I tuned in this morning too, especially interested in what was going to be said about the big win. 790 was whining about not enough callers for basketball. Then they go to some guy they have on site ready to talk about 40 yard dash times or whatever. 24/7 NFL draft coverage in freaking early March with Rockets having a historically excellent season.

So I switched to 610 and right then the guy was saying "We talk about the Rockets the most by far than any other station." And then they did talk about the Rockets a good while. And had smart things to say.

I switch back to 790 and the guy doesn't even know who Jordan Hamilton was. They often say cringe-worthy things.

OH then the guy on 790 says he'd rather have ANY other coach in the Western Conference than McHale. Wow. Really? When we are something like 20-06 in 2014? When we're 3rd seed again after last night? When we're 2 days removed from McHale being named NBA coach of the month? Really? I have huge criticisms from time to time on McHale, just like I did JVG & Rick, but really? You want Mike Malone, Tyrone Corbin, Brian Shaw, Mike Dantoni, Monty Williams, Rick Carlisle over McHale? Look how happy and effective D12 is this year, and with a good relationship with his big man mentor coach. SMH.

My personal feeling, but 790 has a point. Brain Damage & Obesity is way more popular than basketball in this city. If people had to choose between tailgating or a championship parade on Richmond? Yep. Tailgating baby. Meanwhile no parent with a college degree or even a highschool diploma ain't letting their kid play football. There is a drout for the next generation. But basketball is the fastest growing sport internationally, because A) it's fun B) get a ball and a hoop and you're ready to play.

18. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Jay Mohr has been one of the biggest supporters of the Rockets this season. He even said we'd be the best team in the NBA if we were in the East.

19. meh

meh Contributing Member

I've said for years that Zierlein doesn't know or care about basketball. But was shot down because people say he's a "native Houstonian who watched the Rockets way back." Look, you have a guy from a football family who write/analyze football outside of his radio gig. What do you expect him to gear towards? He really doesn't know anything besides football.

I remember at the start of FA and Lance being the only guy who actually DIDN'T WANT DWIGHT HOWARD. He basically talked about how Dwight was done, a major risk, locker room issues... basically what you'd expect from a post on a Lakers board at the time. People with that kind of "insight" into basketball can't be expected to talk basketball. No one wants to have their lack of understanding exposed.

20. tmac2k8

tmac2k8 Member

Well Lance must be happy, our grueling schedule is over, no note worthy games to talk about for awhile until the Clippers. It's NFL draft 24/7 baby!