1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Should Canaan be thrown into the fire?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Zboy, Mar 2, 2014.

?

Should Canaan be thrown into the fire?

1. Yes, it might be a little late, but we need to get him ready just in case

161 vote(s)
    59.4%
  2. No, just take our chances with Lin and hope he does not happen to collapse in the playoffs

110 vote(s)
    40.6%
  1. QazQay

QazQay Member

Chandler Parsons' Clutchfans handle confirmed

2. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I said and I quote "From the few games in the preseason to present he had not proven a thing". I did not just say those 3 preseason games. He had not done anything to present. I am sure the coaches are monitoring his training on a daily basis and he is doing well enough in training he gets his chance.

3. T-Yao

T-Yao Member

What does playing basketball have to do with religion? KD thanks God after every game you don't see him not playing well. you need jesus

4. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

slump or no slump, we got 2 active pgs on our roster - both of whom have missed games this year due to injury... i'd get #3 some reps by design - before it's by necessity...

5. JMG524

JMG524 Member

"GREAT" should never be used to describe an athlete who could never get his team past the first round of the playoffs.

6. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

I love Cannan, but he clearly isnt ready right now to step in. Maybe next year but not now, as seen from the little mins he has gotten this season. The same reason he havent seen covington out there yet, and the Rockets know that.

Lin as of right now is the best option going foward, and he have take our chances. Just wish he wasnt so awful most times than none. :/

7. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

LMFAO! I simply said Canaan hasn't proven a thing and now I am a LOF? Wow! Can you say you are the biggest LOH out there?

You simply do not give a rookie who has not played any decent minutes in the NBA, 6 weeks out from the playoffs, to have him ready for the playoffs for WHATEVER reasons.

Why don't you tell me what has Canaan done in the NBA so far instead? I am listening.

8. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

I'm a very big Lin critic, but I still think he's a very good player. He's in a funk which all players go through. IMO, his play is what will take this team far in the playoffs. You know what you're going to get from Harden, Parsons (he still does the little things when his shots off), and Bev. If Lin can regain his early January form, this team will go far in the playoffs.

Just let him play through his mistakes, and hopefully he starts to pick it up again.

He's still a Rocket so I'm going to root for him. (Only exception to this he's a Rocket love trend is Royce White).

9. mig0s

mig0s Member

Every player gets in a slump once in a while. Remember few years ago lebron shot like 20% for like a week? Jeremy proved more than once that he can score and contribute to the team. He just needs to cut the dribbling into traffic and football pass turnovers while being more aggressive and just have the confidence to shoot the ball. He will be fine.

10. FeaR

FeaR Member

I don't think it's time to put canaan out there but If lin continues to struggle then there is no other solution.

11. mig0s

mig0s Member

Also we can tell that they still 'trust' Lin by trading away Brooks.

12. Sherlock31

Sherlock31 Member

Ha! Ha! I just realised how much you LOHs hate Jeremy Lin, Yes, Lin is in a big slump, but he had his moments, you can't just replace a slumping NBA pg with some d-leaguer who has almost 0 NBA experience, If AB is still with the team, I'd say yes! but Canaan? Hell no!

I rather give Lin some extra pt and hope he gets out of the slump before the playoff.

13. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

Where is tounge hangin, ballin out Jeremy?

It's like that guy is list forever and this guy just wants to sit around and be meek after posting a triple double

14. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You do realize Jeremy Lin wasn't even drafted and cut by multiple teams, correct? Calling Canaan some D-leaguer is hypocrisy at it's finest.

Extra PT for a player playing the worst basketball of his career? Great idea

15. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Give Canaan some of Lin's minutes.

It'll either push Lin to do better, or Canaan will beat him out.

He's an NBA player. An NBA rotational player. He should easily be able to beat out "some D-league guy" trying to take his minutes, right?

16. meh

meh Contributing Member

Let's play a little game. Below is an excerpt from a certain player's wikipedia page. Do you believe that Player L below should never get a chance to show whether he can play at the NBA level?

17. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

If Lin's performance determines how far we will go in the playoffs, then odds do not favor a good outcome. He has not fixed the one thing that has plagued him since his New York days: his inconsistency, specifically an inordinate amount of turnovers.

Sometimes you need to give a chance to someone new to see if they have it. It is through this opportunity that a player like Sam Cassell was discovered. It has been a long time ago, but my memory is that Cassell did not blossomed until very late in his rookie year, leading to the championship run as a backup pg.

Give Canaan a shot.

18. Streets 01

Streets 01 Member

Let's make sure I got it all...

Sit Lin:
    - He's awful right now and his "slump" isn't just good shots not falling, but stuff that swings the momentum of games
    - Way too inconsistent
    - If he gets his swagger back, no telling when his next disappearing act will be
    - He doesn't fit with our offense
    - No way Canaan (or anyone else) could be worse at this point
    - We should be developing new talent instead of watching Lin help teams get back into games
    - If Lin really isn't our answer it's better to test Canaan NOW before playoffs to see what we have in him
    - (One that hasn't been mentioned yet) Lin is not only playing awful, but he's doing so either against backups or in garbage time.

I agree with all the points stated

Play Lin:
    - Though it's rare, at his best he can be as good as anyone on our team
    - All players go through slumps, and he'll eventually come out of it
    - Benching Lin will shatter his confidence
    - We've been winning despite Lin so it will only get better when he turns it around
    - Canaan has shown zero in his limited time to warrant Lin's minutes.
    - The coaches know much better than we do what they have in Canaan as they have more data (practice) and are not opposed to giving playing time to new/younger players (Bev/Ham) if they see something.
    - Benching Lin will kill his trade value

I agree with all these (especially the last two).

So what would I do? Same thing coach did with Bev. Start to find more time for Canaan (don't "throw him into the fire") and ride the hot hand. If Lin is struggling have him take a seat, set him aside and say "it's not your night" and ride with Canaan as backup as he will at least slow the pace down, we won't have to deal with Lin's turnovers (more rest time for our starters and the lead will diminish slower). If Lin can get it together, great! We ride with Lin. This is the backup PG we're talking about here. No reason we can't have a backup by committee like we do/did at the 3/4. We basically used this system to finally come to the conclusion that our starting PG is definitively Bev, and it worked out very well. We can do the same with the backup point. I agree that this may "hurt his feelings/ shake his confidence" but I don't believe in holding his hand. If his psyche is that fragile you have to question if he's the answer anyway. Treat him like a man and not a child and see how he responds.

19. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

You have to give Lin a chance to get back on track.

It's too late to demote your sixth man and roll with a player we've had two weeks like Hamilton or a rookie like Canaan.

20. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I don't agree with burning our players.