1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ESPN] Morey wants NBA Draft overhaul

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Williamson, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

yeah

except Morey has made reference previous to this about how the draft is broken. Several times over the last few years IIRC.

This statement has nothing to do with anything that happened in the last 6 months, this is a long held view Morey has had.

2. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Contributing Member

With the First pick in the NBA draft, the OKC Thunder select...Andrew Wiggins

With the second pick in the NBA draft the Indiana Pacers select...Dante Exum

With the Seventh Pick in the NBA Draft, The Milwaukee bucks select...a Patrick Patterson clone.

3. Christopher

Christopher Member

I like the wheel idea. I think it gives an incentive to build a strong team and not gut your roster because you know that every 6 seasons you have the potential to add to your lineup a very good rookie.

I also think it can't be any worse than what we have now.

It would probably help well run small market teams too. So for instance the Thunder might lose their two best players to free agency as they look to "greener pastures" elsewhere. However, if the likes of Durant and Westbrook know that if they hand around and build where they are they WILL get a top rookie added every 6 seasons at least, it might provide an incentive for star players to play for the one team.

Sure it could see great teams add even more talent sometimes, but is that so bad? Seeing a great rookie player playing meaningful minutes for say the Heat can't be a worse thing for the game than seeing that same player playing mostly garbage time for a team that can't even win 20 games because they tanked the year before and he has no help around him.

4. RoxBeliever

RoxBeliever Member

All the lottery teams have equal chance at the top picks. In that way, there is no added incentive to lose.

Giving a top pick to every team on rotation basis will end up making the league more unequal.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

maybe not teams at the bottom, but teams on the fringe of the playoffs would have motivation to lose, because finishing 9th would be worth so much more than 8th.

6. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

My system is extremely different and I haven't been able to think it out,,but man it would make for excellent tv viewing compared to what we have now (which is still okay)

My system is revolved around an auction where players who have entered the draft go one by one by some sort of ranking which allows clubs to bid on players. Their would have to be some weighted to bad teams, but my idea would be that future 1st round picks would turn into stake or % of the total amount of bids for that team in a singular year.

For example:

Phil trades hawes
    For
    cavs for 10% of their bids in 2014 (basically value of a 2nd round pick) and 10% in 2016

Or
    Pelicans trades 80% of 2014 bids
    For
    Sixers JRUE holiday.

My method still gives some advantage to tanking (like every system does) but it gives more advantage to teams who trade wisely and are the anti dolars of the world.

A team like the rockets could of accumulated so much % of bids and could of got that top prospect without every bottoming out. Which is what everyone wants in a draft system.

7. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

wouldn't that just freeze the trade for draft market?

8. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

You suck hopefully there is a lebron or some other franchise player you draft said franchise player and you get good. Not a very hard concept. Heck the rockets haven't really sucked and the interest was low. What is the difference between winning 10 games and 40 games when no one cares either way.

9. pippsux

pippsux Member

I think a relegation of the bottom 3 teams in each conference is a solution and then promote an equal amount from the d league. Solved and it would be fun watching teams play their asses off not to be bottom 3.

I agree with draftees being free agents instead of the current system.

10. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

The draft is useless..they didnt even draft Jeremy Lin and look at how he turned out.

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

With the 2nd overall pick the Memphis Grizzlies take Hasheem Thabeet.

With the 7th overall pick the Golden State Warriors take Stephen Curry.

12. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Every major sport runs their draft based on reverse record though right? At least the NBA has a lottery. The Texans get their #1 just for sucking the most. The Astros too. Maybe the key should just be that the worst teams get an even chance of getting the top pick. And the teams that tank suffer from lost attendance and everything else associated with that- i.e. concessions, jerseys etc. So they do pay a price for tanking.

13. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Not only is that a terrible "solution", but it is one that is so completely implausible it isn't even worth discussing.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Remove the incentive to tank
    Implement a disincentive to tank
    Introduce an incentive to compete

Do Not Remove the Purpose of the Draft: allowing bad teams to improve

--> Worst team in each conference is autoslotted into #4, #5 picks based on record

-->Make the entire season competitive by opening up playoffs to all but the above mentioned worst teams.
    Two Single Elimination Play-In Rounds to determine the bottom seeds in what is otherwise a regular NBA playoffs. Reduce today's best of 7 first round series to best of 5.

-There is a double penalty to being the worst: you don't get the top pick, you get the stigma of being so bad you missed a 28-team playoff.

-No one is out of it in March or even April, keeping the competition high and the games worth paying for by fans.

-The Play In rounds would be fun, and the top seeds get rewarded with a short (3-4 day) rest. The regular season still matters just as much, if not a little more.

-You run only a very small risk of a low seed Cinderella upset knocking out a top seed - they are forced to play two extra games on no rest and then have to go on the road to face a rested but not rusted top seed.

-6 extra owners get to enjoy the revenue of hosting a playoff game, something they'll happily vote for. More fanbases get to feel like they're in the hunt, even have they started off the year with a bad luck injury.

15. StandontheLake

Allowing them to enter as free agents would create way too many big gambles on younger players. The wheel advantages big markets.

How about a bulge in the lottery odds? the team with the 4th worst record has better odds then the team with the worst record, but the team with the worst record has better odds than the team with the eighth best record.

It still helps bad teams get better, but now you just want to be bad, not horrible. There's a fight among the tankers to NOT be the worst team in the NBA, which causes some escalation, and the overall quality comes up.

16. zcarenow

zcarenow Member

nah...some of the players on those teams might not be around the following year, so they might half ass it or dont really care...

17. nejyh

nejyh Contributing Member

Sure, For LA, Miami, New-York, Chicago.

18. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

I have a feeling that if he had a chance to overhaul the NBA, he'd be front and center. Everyone around the league knows how talented Morey is at running an organization - I'm just glad he set up shop in Houston. With Morey, you know he's always looking into the future...on the prowl. And I believe the future is now!

Go Rockets!!

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

The problem has little to do with the draft. Even the teams with the top slots can't benefit unless great players who like the city they're drafted to and don't care how they're perceived by the mass media if they lose games early in their careers happen to be in the draft in that year. The bigger problem is free agency. They need to make it even more difficult to change teams to make any difference. Guys like LBJ, Carmelo, and Howard wouldn't be able to hold teams hostage if there wasn't an incentive to do so. I think the first step was not allowing sign and trades to happen where the free agent was still able to make the max money and years. But there needs to be more done if we really care about giving teams an equal chance to compete.

20. Sen89

Sen89 Member

Morrway is just trying to find a way to quench his insatiable appetite for young ass

-ets