1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey asked about trading for Dirk Nowitzki after signing Dwight

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HTown5933, Nov 22, 2013.

1. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Or, even more simply, Morey may have thought GSW's acquisition of Iguodala catapulted the Warriors ahead of a Dwight-less Rockets team in the Western Conference hierarchy, and he was grasping at other options to possibly rectify that potential situation.

2. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

Why would it be a taunt when all Morey wanted to do is win a Championship. If Dirk came over we would win it for sure. The Mavs would benefit too by tanking for a while. They are doing too well for their benefit this year.

3. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Oh boy imagine a line-up of

Bev
    Harden
    Parsons
    Dirk
    Asik

That is a contender

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I'd take our current roster over that, dirk is getting old.

5. chrisgraham

chrisgraham Member

^^^no Dirk is having a comeback year...Dirk would instantly upgrade this team

6. faraza84

faraza84 Member

He'd agree agent next yr. if only we had traded Lin and Asik we would have had enough cap to go for him.

7. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

You are looking at it the wrong way from the Mavs perspective. Dirk is not just the face of the franchise, he is the greatest player in their history and close friends with Cuban. The only way the Mavs would ever entertain the idea of a trade would be if it came from Dirk himself.

If ESPN is correct, then the call absolutely looked disrespectful because it implied Morey taunting Cuban by suggesting him to basically throw in the towel.

And of course, Cuban's pride played a strong role.

8. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

I am fine with trolling Cuban and the Mavs all day, any day.

9. Raven

Raven Member

Especially if it prompted him to make bad moves.

10. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Very interesting turn of events, and its pretty crazy to believe that on a night like that when everyone is constantly refreshing Twitter, even our own GM is doing virtually the same thing to find out what is going on that way instead of hearing it first himself.

Also this makes alot of sense now too as when it was rumored or told earlier by Cuban, it striked me as odd because technically Morey really wouldn't have been able to trade for Dirk if Howard was signed I believe with the way their cap would have been. But if he was offering to trade for Dirk without Howard, the Rockets had the max salary cap space at that time to absorb Dirk with only minor salary going out.

1 person likes this.
  11. bmd

bmd Member

Even with Dwight, the Mavs are only a few games back of the Rockets.

12. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Considering everything, Morey must have been pretty damn desperate if his backup plan to signing Dwight was a half baked offer for Dirk.

Dude uncharacteristically put all his eggs in one basket...

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Seek help.

14. Drew_Le

Drew_Le Member

LOL. I wish I hadn't seen this tweet.

When I imagined this whole situation, i thought of Morey sitting in a limo just kicked back, deciding to drunk text Cuban:

"errrrrr, how bout dat Dirk doe?"

He wakes up the next morning hungover, realizing what he'd sent, and finds out that Cuban took it as a taunt. He stumbles into the bathroom, mumbles "f*** it", imagining Dwight throwing down an oop from Harden, and does this dance:

[​IMG]

15. dobro1229

Not really. Especially when you look at how much the free agency drop off was last Summer after CP3 and Howard. If its up to me, that is my only basket as well.

Eventually someone would have been drawn to the open Max Salary slot the Rockets would have this off-season and possibly even next Summer as well.

The Rockets would have still had Harden, Parsons, Asik, Jones, Lin and an open max slot. Maybe the Rockets get a lesser player, but at some point, SOMEONE out there in the league would jump at the chance to grab that cap space out of Morey's hands and sign on to be the 2nd best player on a playoff team.

-Dirk and maybe even Pau would have signaled a one-year short term rental of that 1B max cap slot. Very low risk contract and still gave the Rockets the ability to contend this year. In all reality inserting Dirk or Pau into last years lineup probably would have had more success on the front end, but less longevity even though Howard was the prize possession for a longer run & a guaranteed 2nd star beyond this year.

16. DarkRock

DarkRock Rookie

I understand the relationship between Cuban and Dirk. That's the reason why Dirk hasn't been traded but can't blame Morey for asking. Then again Morey should have gone to the Mav GM instead of Cuban.

17. dobro1229

Why go to the fake GM of the Mavericks when you can just go to the real GM of the Mavericks?

18. Texanswin2013

Texanswin2013 Member

You're saying Dwight is not better than Dirk?

19. haydenfisher342

Nope, gsw after getting iggy and getting cap space actually had enough space to sign d12. They had offers for bogat and lee also

20. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Im sure Morey is going to be all over dirk this offseason. Don't even have to explain how he would be an amazing fit. Dirks gonna be looking for a championship, I don't see him staying in Dallas, unless they bring in some major talent