1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NBA has discussed adding a 4 point line.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Sydeffect, Feb 25, 2014.

1. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

That already happens, there have been a pretty good number of game winning half/full court shots.

2. merrrlo

merrrlo Member

Yeah, that's what I was thinking. To me, a four point line sounds idiotic and gimmicky. But that's probably how people felt about the three pointer 40 years ago...

3. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

t-mac and arenas would both come out of retirement and become all stars again

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/mwXOUvGapuA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

4. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Making it wider would let you at least extend the corner three to the same length as everywhere else.

5. dragician

dragician Member

So my 6year old son's idea is not finally stupid...

6. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I am of the opinion that shots beyond half court should only count 2.

7. mr. 13 in 33

mr. 13 in 33 Member

No cause players are gonna shoot 4 pointers more then 3

8. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Would we have a 4 point shooting contest?

9. HookemHorns1250

Please no.....

Like mentioned before, the main focus should be widening the court so there's 3's with a foot on the out of bounds line.

10. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

Hell to the no

11. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

4 point lie.. lmao.

12. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How about extend the 3-point line and remove the corner 3? It would be interesting to see how much that changes the game.

13. StandontheLake

It would have to be REALLY far back, past halfcourt, to make sure it was never more than a desperation heave.

The 3-point line kinda fixed basketball, but the addition of a four point line close enough to get a good EV might break basketball.

14. StandontheLake

A lot of people seem to reflexively think this a good idea, but I'm not sure. Having some areas be higher value than others is basically the prerequisite for strategy.

15. y2Joem

y2Joem Member

well back in the 90s, a league in the Philippines (the MBA) introduce the free three,during the last 2 mins of the game, a team had a option to shoot 2 freethrows or one uncontested 3 pt shot should their player be fouled..

16. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

antoine walker will have a job if they add a 4-point line.

17. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

man, i forgot how amazing t-mac is. thanks for sharing this.

18. da_juice

da_juice Member

Sounds gimmicky; and unlike when they introduced the three pointer, scoring isn't much of a problem. Also seems like it will unnecessarily spread the floor and end up taking one guy out (if you have a guy camping at the four point line). Also, where do you put it? Can't put it behind halfcourt or no one will use it b/c of the backcourt violation. Can't put on the other side because otherwise it's too easy. Also, how do you implement worldwide?

And most important: Out of all the problems the NBA has, why is this being discussed?

1 person likes this.
  19. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

I hope not. It is overkill, why not make half court shots worth 5...don't make changes for the sake of making changes. The scoring system is fine, just leave it.

20. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

I actually think they aren't going far enough. They should make the goal slide left and right along the baseline and swivel from side to side during the last 2 minutes of the game, and each score means more tickets coming out of each seat that can be redeemed at the end of the game for bubblegum and cheap plastic toys (or for a million tickets, a Game Boy Color).

I think that'll really increase the sense of participation and solve Toyota Center's attendance problem. Just imagine all the screaming 7 year olds this change will draw!