1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How Long Have You Been a Rockets Fan?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by COMPAQ CENTER, Jun 17, 2002.

?

How Long Have You Been a Rockets Fan?

1. <1 Yr

4 vote(s)
    1.0%
  2. 1-5 Yrs

25 vote(s)
    6.0%
  3. 6-10 Yrs

55 vote(s)
    13.3%
  4. 11-15 Yrs

54 vote(s)
    13.0%
  5. 15-20 Yrs

85 vote(s)
    20.5%
  6. >20 Yrs

191 vote(s)
    46.1%
  1. hunt23

hunt23 Member

I started following the Rockets in 1978 when the games were broadcast on KTRH. My favorite players were Moses and Dunlavy. I became a diehard fan for life when they knocked off the world champion Lakers in 1980 and made that miraculous run to the finals and lost to the Celtics (I hate Bird).

I was ecstatic when they picked my favorite collage player Olajuwon. I was sure in 1986 that the Rockets dynasty had began when they again knocked off the world champion laker’s and played Boston in the finals (I hate Bird). I was able to skip some classes at Collage (who needs an education when the Rockets are playing!) and camp out overnight to get playoff tickets.

Then there were the dark years, left Texas, no cable, no Internet and I was unable to get my Rocket fix.

I finally was able to watch the Rockets again in 1992 just in time to catch the start of the Clutch city legend and back to back championships and one near miss (I hate Stockton).

As an eternal rocket optimist I am looking forward to the start of the Rocket/Ming dynasty. This franchise has a long history of dominant big men.

PS: The Rockets make the playoffs next year and then knock off the world champion lakers and then go on to play the Boston Celtics in the finals? It’s happened before:D :D :

1 person likes this.
  2. Since75

Since75 Member

Proudly Since 1975, Check out my name!:)

3. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

I began watching the Rockets after the second championship. That sucks because I did not experience the championship years.:(

1 person likes this.
  4. solid

solid Contributing Member

Rhester, I wonder who you are? I grew up in Dickinson, Tx., also; though I lived many other places. I also became a Rocket's fan when they moved to Houston. Curious.

5. teeloo

teeloo Contributing Member

Been a diehard fan since the shot heard round the world in 85-86 when Ralph Sampson hit the miracle volley-ball shot and Hakeem was a young punk in the locker room because he got into a fight earlier in the game.

1 person likes this.
  6. ChrisP

ChrisP Contributing Member

My first Rocket memories feature Rudy, Calvin, Moses and... who was that guy that shot his free throws underhanded? Was that Barry? I was a big Murphy fan then (little guy like me).

I can't say I remember too much about those days since I was just a kid but I do remember the finals appearances in 81 and 86 and learned to really hate Bird too. He was the first blatant flop artist that I can remember. Man, could that guy get the foul calls! And he could drill the clutch shots too - b*stard!

Lots of great memories... and lots of really painful seasons. I love the hard times now, though - that's what makes the championships soooooo sweet!

7. TheGreatest

TheGreatest Member

I have been a Rockets fan since they were in San Diego. I actually remember me and a couple of my buddies cursing the Rockets for getting a 5-9 guy out of Niagara named Calvin Murphy :) Who knew the "Pocket Rocket" would be as good as he was?

1 person likes this.
  8. Col. Crap

Col. Crap Member

since my man, Drexler...

1 person likes this.
  9. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

I figured there had to be a thread about this SOMEWHERE, and even though it's over a decade old I figured well it's already here. I've been a fan since around 2001 when we had Franchise and just before getting Yao. I'm interested to hear what games in the 70s-80s were like, the atmosphere at the Summit and how it looked since there are hardly any games at the actual Summit back then, not till around the mid-80s.

10. Jontro

Jontro Member

Been a faithful Rockets fan since I was 11. I am now 13.

Been a Jerry Lin fan since about the same time.

11. cz4ever

cz4ever Member

I started following them in the early 80s. The thrilling victory over the Lakers in the 1986 Western Conference Finals, including that miracle buzzer beater by Sampson to close out the series in LA, really sealed the deal. I had (partial) season tickets in the early 90s and wrote a lot of the original Internet (rec.sports.basketball.pro on USENET) material on the Rockets during that period. I had the great pleasure of being in the Summit in 1994 when the Rockets beat the Knicks for the first Clutch City championship, and again a year later when the knocked off the Magic. Great times! The peaks haven't been quite as high since then (sigh), but this team is looking like it has the potential to bring the trophy back home.

Go Rockets!

12. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

Since 1972 .... the year they moved to Houston.

Went to games in Hofheinz Pavilion , the Sam Houston coliseum , the Astrodome & AstroHall in those early years as well as many many games in The Summit.

Damnit , I'm old.

13. jamescar

jamescar Member

I became a fan during the Moses Malone era. I do not think he is given enough credit with how great he was because it was so long ago, but he really carried the rockets to a finals appearance.

14. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I have been a Rockets fan since 1994. I have never supported any other team.

15. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Been a fan since the mid 80s, around the start of the Hakeem era.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Yes, I'm one of the original Rockets fans also. Somewhere I have picture of me and Ed Ratleff that was taken on fan night from the early days. They almost gave the tickets away back in those days.

17. CCorn

CCorn Member

Never have been a fan. I joined to hate on Brad Miller.

18. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Voted 20+ years, but since thread was started in '02.... 10-15 years.

Olajuwon spoiled many HOU fans who started watching in the early 90's.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Hah, I filled this out in 2002, still more than 20 years, and now more than 40....since 1972.

DD

20. Classic

Classic Member

Since my first live game at The Summit:

February 25, 1993

Phoenix Suns 104, Houston Rockets 131