1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Kindergarten teacher suspended after two of her students, aged five, are caught 'having sex'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Feb 24, 2014.

1. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I read the article and I'm still confused at why the teacher is in trouble. America has completely lost it with the "blame the teacher" mentality. Our parents are failing in society, and teachers have to works twice as hard to make up for the crappy parenting. This poor lady is in a witch-hunt due to administrations fearing lawsuits and parents who blame everyone but themselves. Education in this country is DOOMED until we start addressing where we are going wrong as a country.

1 person likes this.
  2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

She is supposed to be aware as to who goes in and out of the restroom. No kid should be in there without her permission. There's a door to that restroom. She is responsible for whatever happens in there. Toast said it best. :eek:

3. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

so you're telling me that you know everything your 5 year old has seen and done at all times - you've NEVER lost track of your 5yr old even for 30 seconds at home?

Of course I'm assuming that you have kids..because if you don't..then you really shouldn't be making comments like that.

4. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Obviously she was aware... she's the one who had to go check on him/her/them. We don't know (from what I read) if both kids are from the same class, if she knew there was another kid there, or what. Maybe just one was her kid, and that kid did have permission. Maybe the other kid had permission from another teacher?

Some restrooms, especially in elementary school, do not have a door.... whatever point that was making.

Again, I don't know enough about this situation to absolve or condemn, but it amazes me how ready people are to cast blame and ruin lives. Not to mention lose what may be quality teachers or administrators over things that may or may not be out of their control.

Examine policy at the school for breaks/permission/ whatever? Sure. Fire either of them for violations of current policies? Potentially. Suspend until they sort it out... I don't know, maybe, depending on the details.... But automatically blame/fire the person who recognized a problem (kid not back soon enough) and reported the situation promptly according to existing policy? And the administrator who wasn't involved at all? yeah, buck stops there, I guess, but I don't understand people like that.

#24 CrazyDave, Feb 24, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
    1 person likes this.
  5. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

Its not that easy for 1 teacher to be completely perfect in a classroom of 25 5-year olds 100% of the time. Sometimes things happen. teacher turns and looks down while helping a student in the front and things go on behind her. its really easy for kids to get into things, or even quickly disappear into the restroom in a matter of seconds. I know at my wife's school, the restrooms are in the Back of the classroom, and the students often break into groups at different Centers multiple times during the day. If my wife didn't have parental volunteers in her class, it would be extremely hard to keep an eye on every single kid especially when you have to stop and help other kids in other groups.

6. Toast

Toast Member

I'm not saying she should be fired. Nor do I think they should take down the entire school for this.

BUT, she didn't "catch" these kids doing anything. She LEFT them. Unsupervised. And because of her lack of control over the classroom for whatever reason, two kids (potentially more?) were left alone, unattended, unsupervised.

A kindergarten bathroom isn't full of stalls. Kids don't come and go with hall passes. It's a room attached to the classroom. It's a controlled and monitored situation.

As the teacher, she's responsible for the children in that class. She knows who's in what activity center, who's sitting at the tables, who's in the bathroom. The bathroom most likely even has a window, positioned high enough so that adults can see in but kids cannot.

Kids are NOT allowed in the bathroom when there's another kid in there.

So no, she didn't do the "right" thing by catching these kids together in the bathroom. She did the irresponsible thing by letting that situation happen in the first place. I don't know if she stepped outside of her classroom to talk with someone or why she would allow that to happen. But she wasn't attending to her classroom duties.

So if I were picking my kid up and the teacher pulled me aside to inform me, "We caught little Timmy and little Sarah together in the bathroom ..." I'd immediately ask how that situation transpired and why they were allowed to be alone in the bathroom in the first place. It's not allowed because, among other things, it's dangerous.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

This is the problem with America. You can't beat the kids and you get blamed for everything. If you discipline them you get in trouble. If you don't discipline them you get in trouble. If she is getting fired anyway should have given those kids a paddling.

8. dragician

dragician Member

hwo is that possible?

9. Rox11

Rox11 Member

Lmao air lang if spot on. My kids finna be traditional baby

10. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Classroom restroom != Regular restroom

I think kindergarten teachers are supposed to manage and supervise who goes into the classroom restroom. While I think this specific punishment is excessive due to people overreacting, disciplinary action is understandable.

11. Toast

Toast Member

I think some of you guys are misinterpreting and also may not be all that familiar with a kindergarten class.

The fact that these two kids were engaged is some sort of sexual act isn't why the teacher should face disciplinary measures. If it were two little boys fighting in the bathroom, I'd feel no different about the teacher's responsibility.

Yes, I have a kid about this age. I drop him off every morning. He uses the bathroom almost every morning. I'm allowed to go in with him 'cause I'm his father. If another kid even touches the door when he's in there, the teachers remind the other students that only one kid is allowed in there at a time. I've seen and heard it every week.

Yeah, occasionally one of his friends will run in there. But the teachers are always on top of it. Right away someone's in there, pulling the other kid out and reminding them that only one kid is allowed in there at a time. If you have to go, wait your turn. If you just want to play, wait 'til your friend is finished.

So sure DFWRocket, a kid can break the rule and open the door, even enter the bathroom while another kid's in there. But there's a difference between putting an immediate stop to it versus realizing after time passes by that little Timmy and little Sarah are both missing.

And I don't know of any kindergarten class that has 25 kids and 1 teacher. And honestly? I cannot tell you a single time when I can recall my wife and/or I being at home and losing track of either kid for 30 seconds. Yes, I'm a helicopter dad. I'm the guy at the birthday party watching the bouncy house while the other parents are schmoozing by the punch bowl. I admit it.

12. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Lot of assumptions going on here.... my kids kindergarten didn't have bathrooms remotely like this.

You said it was definitely grounds for disciplinary measures. I asked what you think she did wrong. You said she left them. Now you're saying you'd just ask how it transpired. Moving goal post.

I can't condemn or absolve it, personally, since we don't really know exactly how it transpired, what policy is, and whether there's a door on the bathroom :rolleyes:.

13. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Dear God.

14. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, because if a teacher told me "we caught your kid doing this with another kid in the bathroom," that's the teacher deflecting. So my response would be "How did that happen?" Meaning I know they're not allowed to be in the bathroom together. Own up to your mistake.

That doesn't absolve the kids nor the parents who have the next steps of correcting the behavior. But kids don't just magically find themselves alone in a kindergarten bathroom.

15. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

i've never seen a classroom bathroom without a door. Are there actually some without one? :confused:

Because that seems totally inappropriate with kids that age. I've tutored kids at the elementary level and occasionally had to walk a class to the restroom outside. Definitely a nerve-racking experience. You can pretty much bet their going in there to play around. It's difficult to decide when to intervene and when not to, without knowing what's actually going on.

In a classroom, without a door, i'd imagine you'd constantly have more than one kid running in there.

16. rocketsfeeva

rocketsfeeva Member

In my Kindergarten class there were about 10 bathroom stalls and some sinks that connected to my classroom as well as a few other classrooms for prek/k students. The article didn't mention how the bathroom for her class was, and I think that could be a big factor in this.

Also, if the teacher informed you about catching little timmy and little sarah together in the bathroom, the first thing you ask is how the situation transpired so you can put the blame on the teacher really? Shouldn't the first thought that popped in your mind as a parent be "why is my son in the bathroom with another girl, he should know better than to be in a stall with a girl inside."

17. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, you're right. I'd really ask if little Timmy made it all the way to second base before the teacher finally figured out they were missing. If he did, I'd slap him high five while I asked him to give me all the details. Then I'd ask the teacher about her mental well-being after witnessing such an atrocity. Then I'd blame Ted Nugent and South Park. And then I'd put my kid in front of p*rn the rest of the evening while the old lady and I did meth across the street for six hours. Hopefully the kids can find some gummy bears on their own. 'cause mama and daddy won't be home for dinner!

How does this happen in our schools?

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I hope the boy wS responsible enought to use a condom. Wouldn't want a pregnant kindergartner

19. VanityHalfBlack

Freaking disturbing on so many levels dude.

20. Thefabman

Thefabman Member

They lack discipline!!!

[​IMG]