1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Misconceptions about the Rockets by TV analysts...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Feb 24, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Rick Fox is the worst. That fool said the 2nd Round is the absolute best HOU can do this year.

2. fleecysphere

fleecysphere Member

This is typically how it goes with media. They'll only have deep knowledge of the more popular teams like OKC, Miami, LAC, etc.

The rest they'll just come up with dumb cliches they heard about the team that might not even be relevant anymore.

3. Nook

Nook Member

#1 The Rockets lead the NBA in 3 point attempts, so I don't know that I would cause that a misconception.

#2 This same board 3-4 weeks ago was saying the Rockets were a terrible defensive team.

I personally get sick of hearing the following.....

#1 Howard and Harden cannot lead a team.
    #2 Jeremy Lin has been a bust (he hasn't)
    #3 Parsons is our best perimeter defender (he isn't)
    #4 Morey doesn't understand how to put a team together.

4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Very true

Lazy journalism

5. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

yeah big names go with the easy cliche of excuse of "well they offense isn't the problem they can score on anyone they want. 100 is enough to win. They have to play defense"

When we actually have played pretty good defense lately. we just play so fast that there are a lot of possessions in some of our games.

6. Kruze10

Kruze10 Member

This forum is just as confused as the national media. I can't count how many times someone bashed the Rockets defense in order to give their argument of how much better Asik was last year than Dwight was this year. Jeremy Lin continues to get mentioned as a bust here on CF, yet he averages about the same stats as Ginobli, who is one of the favorites for 6th Man of the Year.

7. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Another misconception made by TV:

3. McHale knows what he's doing in time-outs!

I laugh everytime the TV commentators speculate... Is he gonna do this or is he gonna do that... when all he is saying is "C'mon we need more energy!" Bwaaahahaha.

8. chatterjb

chatterjb Member

The Rockets interior defense has greatly improved for obvious reasons, but the perimeter defense is still pretty bad. I think the Rockets are slowly learning to improve their pick and roll defense as well...it used to be terrible earlier in the season. All in all, I would rank Houston as an average defensive team.

I don't blame the media for being skeptical about the Rockets making a deep run. To be fair, the Rockets do clearly play their best basketball off the break and without opposing defenses being set. The Rockets thrive off of ad-hoc quick offense. The game slows down in the playoffs...everyone knows that. I think Houston is still in the process of figuring out how to play in a half court set and how to best utlize Howard in those situations. Problem is we're 25 games from the playoffs. So we'll see what happens; I personally want us to get to the Western Conference finals.

9. archinkent

archinkent Member

Well, early in season we were mainly a 3 point shooting team and also a bad defensive team. Things have improved but I guess they based that on the last games they commentate.

10. apollo33

apollo33 Member

They don't watch Rockets games, so who can blame them

They don't know anything other than the Heat, OKC, and what they hear other analysts say who also probably only watches a few good teams.

also, Parsons hasn't been a great wing defender since rookie year

11. htwnbandit

htwnbandit Member

No, they use the same old script because it's what happens when it matters. We blow leads.

12. bmd

bmd Member

1. The Rockets also lead the league in points in the paint. So they aren't just a 3-point shooting team.

2. There is nothing that says the Rockets are bad on defense. They are average at worst.

There are certain aspects of their defense that are not very good. But saying the defense as a whole is bad is lazy and not accurate.

13. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One overall problem, not just on the Rockets, is that many TV guys STILL don't use pace-adjusted numbers to evaluate team offense/defense.

Points per game and points per game against are just poor measurements.

14. bmd

bmd Member

Exactly. Analysts will say "Rockets give up 101 points per game, so their defense isn't any good".

15. awc713

awc713 Member

i disagree...we've been in our fair share of nationally televised games and won most of them. GS this past week was the only loss on nat'l tv I can remember.

But for the most part we've taken care of business (sans the first two or so weeks when this team was getting used to playing each other). We put down the Spurs like dogs in several meetings, and we demolished GS the previous two meetings. But you don't hear much praise, its more or less: "ehhhhhhhh theyprollycantkeepthisup....anyways, back to the spurs and our lovechild GS...boy we love Curry, theyre a bad matchup for everyone!"

16. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Rockets are a get ball in the paint first, three point second team.

Jeremy Lin has been a bust. He was not expected to have similar production to Linsanity for the rest of his career, but he was expected to be better than he is. Whether you blame scheme, coaching, Lin himself, his fans, his haters....he's not getting it done at the level that was expected from him. He's a good solid rotational PG on PG starter salary.

17. anchel

anchel Member

Donatas MONTEjunas

1 person likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Terrence Jones was a number one draft pick in 2012. ;)

19. rocketsmetalspd

I like it that way. They do not take the Rockets as a serious threat to go far and in playoffs. They keep mentioning stats from the beginning of the season instead of how they are currently playing.

It will fun when the Rockets get to Western Conference finals this season and shock the world.:)

20. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member