1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If Spurs Win Tonight Is It Time For A New Dynasty

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by nateb40, May 13, 2003.

1. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Ho man! Either the Spurs choked big-time or the Lakers are still deadly even though they are wounded. Robert Horry 0 for 6...brutual.

I'll assure a *s series win by predicting a seven game series. Fake Show wins the next one.

2. ktheintz

ktheintz Member

I really thought whoever won this game would win the series, and ultimately the championship. Now I'm not so sure, given how badly SA folded in the stretch. Figure the Lakers to win Game 6. So, looking ahead to Game 7: if the Lakers are within 10 points by the fourth quarter, you have to wonder if SA will have the confidence to put them away. Their history says they won't.

3. MrSpur

MrSpur Member

Spurs lead series 3 games to 2. Talk amongst yourselves.

4. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

Win or lose, LA will more than likely add a decent MCE-level FA, something they desperately should have done last year...

Which would put LA and SA again at the top of the mountain.

The tough question is how much does SA tinker with their roster, with the huge cap space they have? I can't think of any teams in the cap era who won the title, and had the ability to add a top-tier FA. It'll be interesting to see.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

With or without Phil, Lakers, win or lose, will be reloading. With the load that is Shaq and the greatness of Kobe the next dynasty will be the old dynasty.

I wish I were wrong. I'm not.

6. BlastOff

BlastOff Member

Y'all came thisclose to coughing up breakfast buddy. Here's to the Fakers shlacking ya the next two.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

As much as I (and others) hate LA, the simple fact of the matter is they will be able to compete, on a verys serious level for the championship for a while.

Quite simple, they have two of the top 5 players in the NBA, and, when healthy, the most dominating player (in Shaq) and the best SG (who also happens to get a lot of calls).

The fact is the Lakers are underperforming this year in the playoffs because they aren't getting the production from the Horry's and Fishers and Shaw's like they have in the past.

Even with that, they still might win it all - and why not, give me Kobe and Shaq and any other starters/bench players from any team in the league, and I can get you from anywhere from the second round to the ring.

8. gunawanspurs

gunawanspurs Member

Geez, i wonder what is Rick Adleman doing right now, Bartending in a niteclub somewhere whining about last year failure ?
    :rolleyes:

9. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i'm not saying they won't, but outside of their mle/mce, what can the lakers do to reload. nobody will give them anything for their role players (at least i hope they won't since they're not that good w/o kobe and shaq) and they can't trade kobe and shaq, or else they're not reloading at that point. then with shaq taking up massive amounts of cap room and kobe maxed out, they have no cap room that i know of. so they have the mce, how are they gonna reload unless someone just wants to ride some coattails for a ring and signs for under market value.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

1 game from dead... the lakers must die. its upon us...

11. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Lakes will use both exceptions plus veterans minimums to get some good help. Players will sign with LAL to 'get the ring'. They don't need (or want) a third star, just some solid help from 'role players'.

12. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

You guys really like making coaches scapegoats, dont' you?

BTW, did you hear what Pop said after the game? The reporter asked him if he was unhappy about the late collapse of the Spurs. He said, "Unhappy? Are you kidding? We are up 3-2 against the 3-time champion. I'm very happy." Compare that to Phil Jackson's typical comments about his opponents.

13. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

The Spurs have a 20 year old point guard, a 24 year old journeyman 2, and a foreign rookie playing in crunch time (not to mention a 3 that shoots 40% from the ft line and just THIS year developed ANY type of offense). With that crew you get what you expect: athletic runs, and pathetic chokes brought about by inexperience and, yes, nerves (just HOW far over the basket did Parker's last tear-drop fly?)

BUT, ultimately, whatever does not kill them makes them stronger. With each game they gain larger % increases of experience; the Lakers already have it, and it shows. The Spurs are going to gain some. Whether it is enough has yet to be seen.

Frankly, the way this game finished is GOOD for the Spurs, they usually follow up bad performances with good ones. The Spurs won, but are pissed at themselves. As a fan I couldn't ask for more going into game 6.

14. F.D. Khan

F.D. Khan Contributing Member

I hope the Spurs will close out the Lakers in LA, in front of their gaudy little fans.

But I worry about next year because Robinson it seems does a better job on O'Neal than anyone in the League. If they pick up Jermaine 'O Neal or Kidd, then Duncan moves to center and has to defend and be defended by O'Neal. Duncan looked very uncomfortable matching up against Shaq.

I think the game though is a tribute to Duncan. He and Robinson's defense are the only things allowing the Spurs to win. I mean c'mon, Parker, Ginobili , Jackson and the rest only get shots off of Duncan passes and double teams.

I think i've also decided that Stephen Jackson is another Cuttino Mobley, and a poor man's one at that. He jacks it almost every time he gets it and makes horrible passing decisions and horrible fast break and transition decisions. I like Manu much more and feel that he plays more of a team game.

As for who they should go after, I stated before they would be THE team if they could give 1/2 the max to Malone and Payton. They would steamrole EVERYONE for a year and then could choose between Andre Miller, Elton Brand, Lamar Odom and others who's contract expires next year.

15. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

Or just delays the inevitable. :D

16. 101 6 7

101 6 7 Member

You are right. "Stronger" certainly does not mean "Strong Enough".

17. Asian Sensation

Imagine if the Lakers did lose.... What changes do you guys see them making?

18. x_trepidation_x

I for see, even if the Fakers do win another championship they will make a change in the power forward position

Lets break down their line up

5. Shaq

No Changes - You can’t replace the most dominating center.

4. (Madson, Horry, Walker)

Major Changes - The Fakers need another power forward in their line up. The current rotation of Madson, Walker, and Horry isn't good tough to contend in the West. It was never the intention to play Madson as much as he has been playing. Walker was supposed to be a more serviceable power forward making up for what Horace Grant had brought to the Lakers. Walker was productive for about half a season last year. Horry of course is brought in for clutch time but his legs are getting old and he is a major liability on defense.

If Fakers win the championship again they will most likely get a powerforward in the draft: David West, Rick Rickert, Zarko Cabarkapa

If Fakers do not win another title, look for them to look for a trade or acquire one out of free agency: Jason Caffey, Juwan Howard

3. Fox, Devean George

No Changes - Believe it or not this current rotation isn't all that bad. Fox the savy veteran and the ultimate team player giving up scoring to often defend against the opponents best offensive weapon. George keeps getting better every year. If he had decided not to play on the Lakers he could have been a major scoring option on another team. If they do make changes, look for the Lakers to go after Scottie Pippen but in reality, Allen will make Pippen an offer he can’t refuse meaning Pippen wont' be available.

2. Kobe, Shaw

No Changes - Kobe plays almost the entire game and as long as he never becomes Penny Hardaway we can still keep up those Jordan comparisons. Not that I'm suggesting Kobe is Jordan.

1. Fisher, Kobe

No Changes - Is there a better flopper in the game? This guy belongs in Broadway not the NBA. Any flopper conversation should always begin with Fisher. The reality is that Fisher might take the ball up the court but it is ultimately Kobe who is the play maker on the team.

Conclusion: This team for all the complaining about the role players does not need to make many changes. Power forward is their weak spot and they will again attempt to lure a cheap worthless power forward or most likely try to get lucky in the draft.

Whatever the case, the Fakers will always be a contender as long as Shaq wants to keep playing.