1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With our 2nd round pick, which position should we draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Cipherous, May 13, 2003.

?

Which position should we draft?

1. Point guard - floor general, passser

24 vote(s)
    37.5%
  2. Shooting guard - a scorer

12 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Small forward - good defender, decent help on D

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  4. power forward - rebounder, inside game, good mid range

16 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. Center - rebounder, inside game,

6 vote(s)
    9.4%
  1. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

It all depends on cap space. After re-reading I wasn't real clear on one thing. The Posey contract will count against the cap. It would not be limited to the amount of Cap room we currently had. An example using random numbers would be this:

Hypothetically say the Rockets have 3 million in cap space. They can offer Posey a max contract (his max is dependant on several factors so I am not positive what the amount would be, not to mention he isn't worth a max contract). They can offer the contract regardless of what the cap space is. So if the Rockets and Posey agree to a 4 year deal worth 3.5 million + a 5% increase each year then that automatically gets deducted from the cap space meaning the Rockets are now $0.5 Million over the cap. Thus they will only have their exceptions to offer.

As I said I don't really have a clue wher ethe rockets stand cap-wise. I know there are some of the cap guru's here that could really tell us where they will be. I do know that this season they probably are slightly under or slightly above. If they have space it won't be too much. As far as whom they will offer contracts to DocRocket, Pops, and Clutch will have better info on that than I could possibly offer. IMO I think they will make more noise with trades rather than with the draft or FA's unless they do some sort of S&T for a FA.

CK

#21 Castor27, May 14, 2003
    Last edited: May 14, 2003
  2. Castor27

Castor27 Moderator
    Staff Member

Aww crap Double post

3. HtownRocks3

HtownRocks3 Member

yep, I 4th or 5th that option.

4. RocketDevil

RocketDevil Member

Draft Steve Blake. We need a point guard, and Blake is a winner. I don't see him as a starter, but I think he would be a great improvement over Moochie. I also like Dantay Jones for his defense which we also could use, but I doubt that he will be there at #44.