1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

comcast vs. uverse internet

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Mr.Scarface, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Ok...I had Comcast internet 11 years ago. The problem I had was it would slow to a crawl during peak hours in my neighborhood. I chose to go to DSL for a reliable stable connection. I switched over to Uverse internet around 4-5 years ago. The Max Turbo tier for Uverse is 24-25Meg download, 3-5 meg upload. I know Comcast offers 50/10 now. The price is probably a $14 difference. My question, does cable suffer from the same shared neighborhood slowed that it used to?

2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

One more thing. Uverse is supposed to have CAPS, but they are not enforced. Matter of fact, the tool to track usage doesn't even work. Is Comcast enforcing CAPS?

3. VanityHalfBlack

Do you do a lot of downloading of the hanky panky?

4. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Comcast Internet Destroys Uverse if you care about speed.

5. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No....there is a good chunky of internet gaming PC and 2 Xboxes. Netflix streaming is done by the teenage daughter.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes, I want speed. I was just worried about congestion. I'm in Missouri City.

7. TheMystery008

TheMystery008 Member

Comcast it is.

8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

9. seclusion

seclusion rip chadwick

Not sure if com cast throttles your speed. I haven't heard of any complaints aside from outtages. Personally as someone with uverse I would switch in a second were it an option to me.

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I also live in Missouri City also and had Comcast for several years before switching to U-Verse after Ike.

Comcast has more speed but it would periodically go down for 30mins/1h/2h at a time. This was very annoying. U-Verse almost never goes down and when it does, it lasts only 2-3 mins.

I watch a lot of video, my son plays against online competition with his Xbox One and we have no problems at all with speed on U-Verse.

11. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

It might depend if you have fiber optic cable installed by your house. I think my comcast speeds are pretty stable where they used to slow down in the evening.

12. Toast

Toast Member

When we moved to the 'burbs, we had to cancel UVerse because it didn't go out to our neighborhood.

So we switched to Comcrap. I gotta say, as much as I've always despised Comcrap's cable/TV service, the Internet is rip-roarin' FAST.

13. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Good thing you're not in Katy.

14. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What's up in Katy?

15. rox1

rox1 Contributing Member

I had comcast for 5 years with fast speeds and no problems whatsoever. I moved and had to get Uverse (Comcast wasn't available) and is so slow and expensive..
    The thing with Comcast is you have to call every 6 months or so to have a low price otherwise they will keep increasing it. I didn't care about calling, I would just ask for the retention department and they always gave me fair deals for the speeds I was getting it.

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I have the highest available speed by Uverse. 24Mbps. It blows compared to what I did have with Xfinity.

I have probably 10 devices on my wifi at any given time. It eats the largest dick imaginable.

I pay $65 a month for this horse****. In Korea they laugh at dumb fat American with tiny internet.

17. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I'll echo the general sentiment of the thread so far. Comcast blows U-Verse out of the water with speed.

I pay for U-Verse's fastest speed, 24 Mbps. I've never gotten more than 16 Mbps.

18. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If you go to the support chat room they can adjust it for you until you're getting the full 24.

I did this and within about 10 minutes and 2 tries the operator got me up to 24 hard wired.

They have always had great customer service for me personally, and their TV interface is far superior to Xfinity.

19. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I've had both and saying Comcast "blows U-Verse out of the water with speed" is crazy. It IS faster though.

I also used to have AT&T's DSL. That is something Comcast "blows out of the water".

20. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I can get 25mbps on my 24 mbps connection. I use Directv for TV....16 years.