1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Mavs free spending days coming to an end???

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by tigereye, May 12, 2003.

1. tigereye

tigereye Member

Around The NBA: Cuban Says Mavs Will Lose $20M This Season

Mavericks Anticipating $20M
    Loss This Season

Attributing the losses "to a diminished TV contract and his team's $72[M] payroll and the luxury tax," Mavericks Owner Mark Cuban estimated that the team "will lose $20[M] this season," according to Richie Whitt of the FT. WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM. Cuban: "We'd lose money if we played nonstop through the summer and won 19 championships" (FT. WORTH STAR-TELEGRAM, 5/11). Cuban added that he "doesn't have the necessary time to devote to" a WNBA team in Dallas, but said if someone else wanted to put a team in Dallas, "that's completely different. I would even put some money into it. But to get a team and not do it the right way, that wouldn't be fair to anybody" (SACRAMENTO BEE, 5/11).

2. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

You can thank guys like Abdul-Wahad, Bradley, and LaFrentz. Oh ya, NVE makes the max I believe as well.

3. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

But isnt 20 million dollars to him like 100 dollars to me.

I have spent 100 dollars plenty times on hobbies of mine.:D

4. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think you get to be a billionare by treating 20 million dollars like 100 dollars.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's why you're talking about 100 dollars to spend and he's wealthy enough to lose $20 million. ;)

6. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

are you serious?? Van Exel?? He's not even a franchise player. If that is true, i think he beats out Cato for being the most overpaid player.

7. kidrock8

kidrock8 Member

I know he's making like 11-12 mill this year. Which is either max, or close to it.

You can thank Denver for signing him to that contract.

8. Panda

Panda Member

Quote of the day.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

This is not surprising. This is one of the reasons that Cuban nixed a potential NVE for Brian Grant trade earlier this year. Cuban did NOT want to commit to Grant's HUGE contract. He would only do that for someone that he knew would put the team over the top and get them into the finals and felt that while Grant would certainly help the team, Grant would not be able to get teh team over the top.

Looking at the Mavs during the playoffs it is obvious that NVE is a big part of this team. It is Raef LaFrenz that needs to be shopped that isn't providing jack squat for this team.

10. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

I don't trust Mark Cuban saying the Mavs lost $20m any more than I would have trusted an Enron exec telling me his company made $20m. I'm sure somewhere on Cubans P&L statement there's a $20m loss, but I'll bet that's not the bottomline figure.

$72+m payroll
    + ~ $3.4m AAC yearly co-lease fee
    + ~ $4.0m/yr for 20 years of original lessor costs to build
    - $1m co-lessor share of AAC naming rights
    = ~ $78.4M / 19,200 seats = ~$100 per seat per game breakeven.

By agreement, Mavs and Stars keep all revenues and are responsible for all costs of operations and maintenance. Let's suppose a far fetched scenario where all revenues equal the operations and maintenance costs of AAC...a real stretch...

Now, the NBA doles out the shared revenues for TV, marketing, etc., there's a yearly $20m loss? IMO, Pure BS.

11. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

yet he's still a better pg and creator than sf.

12. Asian Sensation

Van Exel has carried his team so far through the playoffs. If it wasn't for Exel the Mavs would be home already. I'd certainly say Cuban's getting his moneys worth.

13. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

those wouldn't include the local establishments?

14. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

Maybe on their accounting statements. The guy is making money. I recently researched a public professional team's filings. (That is what I do for a living). Don't believe what these owners are saying. HE IS NOT LOSING $20 MILLION. The Mavericks are definitely cash flow positive. He is using a discount rate that is too high. He is probably using the a discount rate that one uses for companies that have filed bankruptcy. Legally, he may be telling the truth but at the end of the day, he is taking money home after paying his bills.

#14 bigboymumu, May 13, 2003
    Last edited: May 13, 2003
  15. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

100% agree. And if the Webber-less Kings dump them out of the playoffs, we'll see even more $ being spent. ;)

16. JeeberD

JeeberD Contributing Member

Don't forget that Evan Eshmeyer is making mad cash too and barely ever got off the bench this year.

I don't think that $20 mill is a big deal to Cuban. He's going to do whatever it takes to make the Mavs a champion, and if that includes losing some cash, so be it. He just needs to learn that Nelly wouldn't know a decent post player if Shaq hit him in the face. He needs to quit throwing his money away on scrub centers...