1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

New Robocop movie..... SUCKED!!!

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by VanityHalfBlack, Feb 12, 2014.

1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

On the fence about seeing the remake, the original was such great 80s satire. I've assumed the new one would be a lot more straightforward which misses the whole point....

2. Kyakko

Kyakko Contributing Member

Well, bummer, I was looking for to seeing this.

Just saw True Grit over again for the X amount of time. Now that's a good remake.

3. ChumpCity

ChumpCity Member

The british "Death at a Funeral" (2007) was good...

The Chris Rock "Death at a Funeral" (2010) took it to another level!

4. BonziWellsGOAT

The Departed was really good and it was a remake of the Chinese film Infernal Affairs.

5. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I haven't seen it, but apparently this new version pretty much completely missed the point about the message the original was trying to send. It sounds incredibly similar to the Dredd remake in that sense. I won't be wasting my time with this one, and Robocop is one of my all-time favorite movies.

6. BonziWellsGOAT

#shotsfired
    #gotemcoach
    #ohkillem
    #bazinga
    #calledout
    #ishouldstop
    #hashtag
    #............................................................

7. AirBud#10

AirBud#10 Member

Haha, no i'm not. Most action movies are just aren't good. 80% of them have this ****ty contrived "ex-government agent" (or something to that effect) story-line that has been done a half billion times. If an action movie actually has some kind of at least half original story line then I might like it. Gunfights and explosions shouldn't be an acceptable replacement for a good story.

8. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I had early free screener passes and still refused to go.

9. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

The moment I heard this remake was going to be PG-13, I knew I'd be avoiding it like the plague.

It's a damn shame that incredible remakes like Dredd get overlooked, while crap like this tops the box office.

10. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

That is the issue with the remakes
    they miss the point of the original story/movie

Rocket River

1 person likes this.
  11. Brandyon

Brandyon Member

Dredd is in reverse order. The original missed the point, while the remake nailed it.

12. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

The Ring was a remake of the Japanese version. I liked it better than the original. Same for The Grudge.

13. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

i'm not sure how the original got confused with an academy award winning movie, someone said it earlier "it was 80's satire", if the original were to come out today you'd say the same thing about it

i'll buy that for a dollar

the guy turning into the toxic avenger

nuke'em

14. Dgn1

Dgn1 Member

Wasn't that bad at all.

15. cheke64

cheke64 Member

You can't compare third world remakes to American remakes.

16. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

the original robocop is one of my favorite movies (and also, i LOVED dredd and am really sad that we probably won't get a sequel)

so i saw the movie a couple nights ago... it is pg-13, and that means you cant have scenes like the one in the original where murphy gets blown apart point blank by shotguns, but the remake has a scene that is probably more cringe-worthy than any scene in the original. i thought it was a really clever way to work around the pg-13 rating and still keep a sense of shock about what happened to murphy.

i thought overall, the movie was just ok, but not horrible like most people are saying. the pacing of the last third of the movie is a mess. it's not a masterpiece by any means, and it doesn't try to be the original. i think if the original never existed, or if the title of this new movie wasnt "robocop" then we wouldn't seeing near as many people hating on this movie.

17. VanityHalfBlack

That's the problem right there. Why do people love the original? The satire and the transformation of man to Robocop. When Peter Weller takes off his helmet, he's ugly as fock barely any skin left. But when this douche takes off the helmet, he still has his face, lol.. You say the new one is cringe worthy, LOL, I agree with that the whole experience was cringe-worthy I wanted to leave.

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Not that I want to hold the original Robocop up as the greatest piece of art in history, but...

This is just a result of the lost art of movie subtlety. Today's audience doesn't grasp it. Heck, if a couple doesn't have sex on screen today's audience can't grasp whether they are in love.

19. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

This was not a TERRIBLE movie.
    But it was bad compared to the original
    This is more popcorn fair and action packed.
    The story was overly direct and no subtlety

Sam L . .. . was just a useless character
    in that they were attempting to get the message
    across from the original but they were so heavy handed it was weak

Rocket River
    Guerrero should have played the role of the main villain in the first movie
    [the guy RED from That 70's show played]

20. aboinamedray

aboinamedray Contributing Member

uhh.. i didnt love the movie by any means, but if you've watched it, the movie makes it explicitly clear that there is not a man under the armor. gary oldman's performance in this scene makes this part of the movie all the more darker