1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How is Casspi still getting playing time?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by omgTHEpotential, Jan 18, 2014.

1. nobie

nobie Member

lol wat

2. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

Rockets almost beat the Rockets in that game. If you haven't noticed, they had 2 several huge leads, then choked in standard fashion. It took an incredibly hot Ariza for them to be in the game.

3. noone

noone Rookie

From oil companies to national security including the NSA, DOE, and CIA israelies have been recruited for the past 50 years to work outside the US from everything from oil drilling, to security of the saudi royal family, to intelligence. Israelies are basketball players and it's always been a controversy inside the jewish community that there were no israelies in the nba.

4. noone

noone Rookie

Casspi should play because Trevor Ariza almost beat you.

5. Sydeffect

Sydeffect Member

So another bad perimeter defender will stop Ariza! Gotcha

6. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

Why would it be a controversy? There's like 2 of them and neither are famous or even good.

7. BeardSanity

BeardSanity Member

Wth are you talking about. Let's leave this at basketball moron

8. nobie

nobie Member

what did Israeli national team ever win? Im pretty sure they havent achieve anything. There are like 10-15 countries in europe that achieved more than Israel, yet are struggling to have more than 1-2 basketball players in NBA. You have to be realistic, USA is still like 10years ahead in basketball than the rest of the world (used to be like 20-30years).

9. platypus

platypus Member

Omri D guy,just is not getting it done . He isn't making his Shots and can't seem to guard quick perimeter players. I'm looking forward to when we acquire a quality 3 and D guy

10. noone

noone Rookie

I'm betting that Les Alexander is going to make it clear the Omri is the guy. If he plays sharper at the 3 and works on tone at the four than Omri will be. He's done a lot of good this year.

If the rockets where looking to get a new guy he would of came by now. McHale has pitched for one.

11. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Can't believe I am saying it but

LOFs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>COFs

12. w00t

w00t Member

It is clearly a case of antisemitism to not let Casspi play!!! :grin::rolleyes::grin:

13. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

rather him play than Garcia who is completely useless.

14. noone

noone Rookie

I think a pure wing like Garcia and a lumbering 7 footer like DMO is what Morey and McHale prefer and they were pitching that through the media. This year lumbering 7 foot power forwards haven't had success in wins and garcia doesn't make mistakes but doesn't have an impact either. Casspi is a tweener a 3.5 if he can be sharper at the 3 and set the tone at the 4 he can be a keeper.

15. Oracle

Oracle Member

??? Why do you say that? He is still the Rockets 3rd best 3pt- shooter (not counting Dwight and Covington). His adjusted FG% is 4th best (not counting Smith and Covington). In rebounds per 48 min Casspi is 7th in the NBA among small forwards. I think that is good enough for a vet min salary player.

16. The Jabberwock

I totally agree.
    He brings very solid value, and he costs a vet minimum for * sake!

Here is a comparison I made (a week ago) of Casspi's stats in 2013-14
    with those of 2 frequently mentioned alternatives - Trevor Ariza and Ersan Ilyasova.
    Below it - I bring a comparison of the same 3 players in terms of salary & Cap Hit.

Omri's production per 48 minutes is not trailing behind Ariza or Ilyasova in ANY significant stat.
    (Ilyasova's stats are badly effected by the horrible Bucks season, so it's a bit unfair, perhaps)
    As you can see - Casspi leads the trio (or shares the lead) in 5 of the measures (including PTS)
    and comes 2nd in 4 other stats (including REB, AST & 3PT%).
    His only real setbacks are more TOs (slightly) and a lower FT%.

When it comes to salary, on the other hand - the other 2 players are ranked lightyears higher than Casspi
    with 8 times the Cap Hit, and as much as 25 times guaranteed $'s!

[​IMG]
    I really can't understand some posts in this thread.

17. The Jabberwock

What's your angle here, dude? Where does all this come from?

I mean, the mere mention of Casspi's name seems to send you through the roof,
    with venomous, vindictive, vehement, vicious and vulgar vengeance (OK - I'm all out of Vs... :))

Ease off... You're all over GARM with this vendetta. Are you trying to get reported or what?

18. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't think the bench minutes are settled.

First, one or more of the current rotation guys may get traded, opening up possible minute at certain spots or seeing new arrivals take away minutes from current guys.

Also, the team has experimented with different rotations all season, and can change things around again. Right now, we are running with the newly returned Asik (bumping DMo to PF) and Garcia at SF, which squeezes Casspi out as the 10th guy. This may not be the case a week from now.

19. StandontheLake

Don't get the hate. Yeah, he's a little more willing to playmake than I think he should be, but he plays defense, he rebounds, he runs the floor, his playmaking and driving attempts are actually decently successful, and he's hitting his threes at an acceptable 35.5%.

He's not lighting the world on fire, but he's giving solid minutes for a guy signed to the vet min.

Only thing I don't get is why he's hitting his free throws at 67%. I mean, seriously? For a guy who's bread and butter niche in the league is based around 3-point shooting, that's kinda weird. he gets to the line often enough that that poor free throw shooting does have a significant effect on his efficiency.

20. calcium

calcium Member

What's the chances noone is a troll?

If so, you are all falling for it.

The claims _are_ a little bit over the top.

For what it's worth, I think Casspi does help the Rockets.