1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Chron] Don't rule out a trade despite Rockets' recent run

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Carl Herrera, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

Agreed.. BUT.. Who do we have that the Wizards would want? In order to match salaries, it'd be either Lin OR Asik. They already have Wall and Gortat manning those positions. Unless a third team is involved it then this would be highly unlikely.

Fixed.

2. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

There's no way he's talking about Lowry: "There's always going to be that big brother that still wants his time to shine." Kyle Lowry is playing well, but the word "shine" would be used for a veteran with sustained popularity. Melo is currently the MJ of his team, but it sounds like Codman is suggesting that he'd be the Pippen of this team. I guess we'll see what happens. Lin for Melo. Great for Houston and the Knicks have nothing to lose seeing as they're not winning a championship unless they blow it up. They'd better do something about JR "We Will Have To Bust His (referring to Lin's) Ass When We Play Him" Smith and Woodson if they want Lin to stick around.

3. Da_Spark

Da_Spark Member

If the Knicks wanted Lin, Asik, and.. Parsons for Melo and Shumpert..

How many of you think Morey would pull the trigger?

4. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Only if he can then trade melo for love.

5. Raven

Raven Member

Not giving up Parsons for a probable rental.

6. theangrycanary

I seriously don't know if I could watch iso melo, iso harden, iso dwight, bev spot up three...

that sounds more boring than the spurs. They might win it all, but whew...

7. FeaR

FeaR Member

I wouldn't give up Parsons for Melo BUT ... I don't believe that Melo would use so many isolation plays with Dwight and Harden in the team. Only If someone guaranteed me a championship, i would do it :grin:.

As far as the rumors are concerned, Morey knows that he doesn't have a large champioship window with Dwight (and this team isn't a championship caliber team yet), so every year counts ... I hope he pulls a good trade( at least a 3 and D guy)

8. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

i just love how they inserted Lin's pic in there. hmmm a little foreshadowing perhaps? lol

9. kudos1017

kudos1017 Member

He's definitely talking about Melo. "James-type" is a reference to David Thorpe calling Harden the new Melo, "red hot 7 tickets" is a reference to his jersey number, and he would be downgrading from an MJ role to a Pippen role if traded to Houston.

10. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

[​IMG]

11. Play07

Play07 Member

Correct all this too, is my take.

1. More loves flexibility with money so even of melo comes and doesn't resign morey has cleared alot of cap space for this summer, by getting rid of asik + Lin + fillers cap space for melo $20mill

2. He's saying Knicks gm is different from morey he would rather trade him vs letting him walk get some pieces now they don't have much cap room even if he leaves or picks. & players are not going to NY play in free agency anyway to WIN. So best option is to get what you can now for them.

1. harden, Howard, cp25, no mention of jones ??? because the run & gun 3morey ball doesn't fit jones like it could with melo, it's working now 7 straight wins but what would it be like if a guy had to stayed glued to melo on the wing when Howard is in the post ? we are winning now doesn't the city deserve a shot at it while the core is healthy ?

Trade jones while he's high + Lin + asik + filler + picks = melo + filler

12. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

Speaking of red hot, didn't Melo score 61pts in 3 quarters recently?

13. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

C'mon, CH. You're better than that. You know that's like family to me, right? :(

That was a hard ass time for Ne and his fam.

14. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Sorry. He lives and healthy now, no? Would not joke if he wasn't. Shouldn't have mentioned it anyway.

Nene is great. Would have loved him as a Rocket when Morey pursued him. Would still want him now to add some extra size to the front line. Just Don't see what Morey can offer to make it happen.

#134 Carl Herrera, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  15. Play07

Play07 Member

I'm I somewhere in the ballpark with my last post ?

16. Jpripper88

Jpripper88 Member

Yeah Parsons will have a cap hold of about $1.7M. With that the Rockets would have salary commitments of about $47.7M. Then another $2.1M in roster holds, so $49.8M

Love can command about $17.7M.

If 2014 cap is indeed $62.1M as projected, it is reasonable it increases to about $65M for 2015.

So if those hold true the Rockets would be able to offer Love $15.2M. However, by trading DMo for a draft pick (you give him away if you have to, to get Love) you would gain $1.75M in cap room after counting a roster hold. Do it with Terrance Jones and gain $1.95M. So clearing both would get you enough for the difference and allow you to offer Love his max salary. Of course you would hope you could convince him to take about $700k less to have a team that is much better by holding onto Jones. Cutting or trading with nothing back would gain the Rockets $420k each with Covington and Canaan, so those would be options too.

17. DreamEarlNolan

The only problem is Melo won't be willing to play the Pippen role. I also worry about team chemistry when you bring in someone like Anthony. With Dwight emerging as the team leader and spokesman in recent weeks would Anthony be okay with that? Can Harden and Melo get their individual numbers enough to be happy playing together? I just don't see Carmelo fitting good with Harden and Howard.

18. Play07

Play07 Member

Anthony
    ^^^interview with melo yesterday, we'll he is for sure saying all the right things!
    1. Wanting to take less to be on a contender, $16-17 mill next year ?

2. Wants certain players to come to Knicks to help him, we'll we already have that here with cp, harden, Howard

19. PinkTacos

PinkTacos Member

Carmelo Anthony said that his "first priority" this summer is to re-sign with the Knicks, though he's still expected to opt out of his contract and test free agency.
    Melo was adamant about his desire to stay in NYC despite the Knicks' sub-.500 record which has them on pace to miss the playoffs. "If it takes me taking a pay cut, I'll be the first one on [Knicks owner] Mr. [James] Dolan's steps saying 'Take my money and let's build something strong over here,'" Melo said. This is terrific news for the Knicks, though their salary-cap situation is still perilous thanks to the bloated contracts of Amare Stoudemire, Tyson Chandler and Andrea Bargnani, who will earn a combined $49.5 million during the 2014-15 season. Feb 15 - 9:33 AM
    Source: ESPN New York

20. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I vehemently disagree. Rondo would be a great fit with the starting unit.

We do need some shooting to bolster our bench though.