1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SLAM] We Miss Yao

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by freemaniam, Feb 14, 2014.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I'm still bummed out that he's gone. Life can be so unfair sometimes. Yao was special.

2. txn

txn Member

How about the Yao and Dwight Twin Tower ;) One thing I am sure that it is better than Asik and Dwight. Yao can shoot from outside for sure.

3. Blurr#7

Blurr#7 Contributing Member

If you remember that became a bigger issue when Tracy was gone. Fronting was a last resort for defenses as it left the weakside very open. Tracy would have eaten that up all day.

4. yummyhawtsauce

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ij80iwfOoKo lol check out Juan's reaction when Yao dunks on Mourning ...

Seems like the people guarding Yao seemed helpless when Yao backed them down - I wonder what goes through their minds?

5. yummyhawtsauce

lol, I rather see Yao playing as a Centre though than a PF. I can't see Dwight as a PF. He can't shoot :(

6. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

He was great at his craft.

7. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

If Dwight had a jump shot he'd be amongst the GOAT centers because his defense is already up there.

We'd have had the two best ever centers in that case - Hakeem and Dwight ;)

8. langal

langal Contributing Member

Health issues aside, I'd take Yao over Dwight. The hack-a-Dwight really slows down the game and makes it less enjoyable!

9. langal

langal Contributing Member

We had Moses Malone. Dwight not on Moses's level.

1 person likes this.
  10. gambingo

gambingo Member

dam you Kobe......I think Yao feet would have held up if it wasn't for Kobe running into Yao's knee.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

I don't miss him. I liked him when he was here, but we were never contenders.

12. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I miss him a lot. He was the star of the team. I doubt if anyone could have predicted how good a player he would become when he joined the NBA.

13. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

I disagree. Mutombo and Yao would have brought us over the hump against the size of LA.

14. MamboRock

MamboRock Member

We may be biased as Rockets fans. But just a look at the comments on the Slam website, you can tell he is widely respected and admired by basketball fans around the league.

LakeShow • a day ago
    Favorite part:
    SLAM: If you, Tracy McGrady and all of the Rockets had been healthy in your prime, how good do you think you guys could’ve been?

Yao: First of all, there’s no such thing as “if”…I think we had our chance but we missed it. Whether we regret it or not, that is a fact, and we just need to learn from the experience and move on. Otherwise how can we go to teach kids: “Hey, you have to pull yourself together after this loss and move on,” you know?

Yao was/is a humble, talented, and respectable guy.
    14 • Reply•Share ›

bike LakeShow • 21 hours ago
    Amen. Wish we had more like him.
    2 • Reply•Share ›

LLC#12 • a day ago
    off the court as a person, yao is one of my favourite players ever. him, pau and dikembe.
    10 • Reply•Share ›

Ansonator LLC#12 • 14 hours ago
    big men, big hearts
    2 • Reply•Share ›

Jewelz • a day ago
    Wow you get the sense that he is an amazing individual with much wisdom. His journey seems to have given him a perspective on life that few other individuals could claim.
    Great article! Great man.
    6 • Reply•Share ›

Ben Osborne Mod • a day ago
    Great piece
    4 • Reply•Share ›

niQ • a day ago
    Yep, definitely miss Yao.
    3 • Reply•Share ›

playa • 21 hours ago
    So classy, highly intelectual,easy going guy+ he was soooo good as a player, He didn't once play what if game in the interview(which I truly admire) but i will.If he plays today he would have some problems with defense&mobility obviously but he would DESTROYED any&every 5 he would face, with EASE.
    2 • Reply•Share ›

LakeShow playa • 21 hours ago
    He was sooo dominant at his peak. Sad it lasted so short a time, but expected for a 7'6" behemoth.
    You seen those dudes legs? They are like Redwood saplings.
    4 • Reply•Share ›

playa LakeShow • 18 hours ago
    Yup, there was a video which i currently couldn't find, where he's backing guys down sooo deep&agressive in the post than dunks on them.E.g Zo,Big Ben etc. huge,strong,defensive powerhorses,practically beaten up to a pulp like they were high-schoolers, it was impressive to say the least.
    3 • Reply•Share ›

Sérgio playa • 24 minutes ago
    Not only that, but he had a lot of moves and counter moves. And his jumper was as sweet as it gets from a big man.
    • Reply•Share ›

Rich • a day ago
    great interview
    2 • Reply•Share ›

Will Lee • 16 hours ago
    really miss him
    1 • Reply•Share ›

Alexzandar Davilijanovic • 18 hours ago
    True lines . once again, great.
    • Reply•Share ›

hushabomb • 19 hours ago
    Wih the way its going now its quite the opposite. Hibbert, Dwight, Gasol and Randolph, Pau, Aldridge. In the last couple of years they have tried to go post a lot and there's an emphasis on post play. They would have made an effort to get Yao the ball (in mind at least) Just a shame to see injuries cut him down.

15. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Unless you are racist or brain dead, there was no way you didn't respect Yao. He had it all, but inevitable injuries cut it all short.

16. GoRox2013

GoRox2013 Member

Gotta love Yao. I always rooted for the guy since Barkley talked trash about him as a rookie. Yao Ming should be a role model for kids around the world

17. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Yes, we miss Yao.

18. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

Seriously a class act.

19. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

All Rockets fans miss Yao.

20. nguyen3706

nguyen3706 Member

Great player who worked really hard and it sucks that injuries derailed his career short, but I can't help but feel he underachieved quite a bit as Rocket due to speed limitations he had that for example cost us in the Utah series.

[​IMG]