1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by willwmc, Feb 2, 2014.

?

If you were Morey: Sell High on Jeremy Lin?

1. Yes, Sell

267 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. No, Keep through out contract

185 vote(s)
    40.9%
  1. boiler

boiler Member

We are talking about who is a better player RIGHT NOW, not who was or who will be.

2. Breitbard

Breitbard Contributing Member

Ya think?

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Of course you're getting that feeling. That's how you rationalize what you're reading.

Me: Goran Dragic is a better player than Jeremy Lin.
    Response: No he's not.
    Me: Uh, actually he is.
    Response: You hate Jeremy?

And the lazy narrative begins.

Yes, Dragic averaged 7.6 points and 2.3 assists in 16 games... in less than 15 minutes per game. You sort of left that part out. He was playing and learning from Steve Nash, but in response to someone implying big moments within two years are what makes the player, that's the biggest of the bunch.

This isn't some random takedown of Lin. Dragic and Lin will always be linked because the Rockets not only let Dragic walk for Lin, they paid Lin more money annually than Dragic signed for, a decision that was as head-scratching then as it is today. No reasonable GM today would trade Dragic for Lin unless there was something large coming back to compensate them for it.

4. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I guess a lot of Rocket fans are like this. Loved Dragic and got frustrated that the Rockets organization didn't do enough to keep him, in return got Lin who they have to pay more annually and not producing as much as Dragic. This would explain the more "criticism" or "higher expectation" on Lin. Because like Clutch said, "Dragic and Lin will always be linked". Until Lin blatantly out performed Dragic, the fans that loved Dragic will never be high on him because Dragic is doing better and we led him walked for Lin.

This is kind of similar (In an extreme case) how the Knicks fans are reminiscing Lin now that they have Raymond Felton (although much cheaper) who is not producing.

But I agree. the CURRENT Dragic on this team would definitely solidify the starting line up as a floor general. And he could play off the ball from Harden better than Lin.

1 person likes this.
  5. jonstarks

jonstarks Member

meh...IMO they're about the same "talent" level... Jeremy probably slashes/attacks better, Dragic has a better midrange jumper... yes his numbers are great this year... but Dragic has a higher usage rate, avgs more mins, and gets 14 FGA per game, and doesn't play next to James Harden... if you give Jeremy that (situation) he's probably doing the same kinda numbers if not better...and no, it doesn't makes sense to let Dragic walk and sign Lin for more cash... but then again no body expected Rox to get Harden.

1 person likes this.
  6. j3i

j3i Member

It does make sense if you want to stay flexible in terms of contracts. If we make another big signing in 2015, letting Dragic go is not a mistake. I don't think the difference between Lin and Dragic is enough to warrant risking our chances of signing someone better than both of them.

7. Razsan

Razsan Member

There is no question that Dragic is playing better now but the conversation has floated between past present and future. IMO there is no way you can say that Lin "can't" be as good as Dragic based on both player's past.
    Will he? Who knows. But Lin certainly has the work ethic to get to that level and the reason I say that is because he HAS played at that level.
    Now he just needs to do it consistently.

1 person likes this.
  8. detso

detso Member

Lin is never going to be at Dragic's level according to some posters here. Well, time will tell.

9. Razsan

Razsan Member

Clutch...I know you're not necessarily targeting me since I've made a point of saying that Dragic is playing better right now. My contention is that he hasn't always played like this and was very Lin like for most of his career.
    And if you double the 15 minutes to get to Lin's minutes, you get 15.2 and 4.6....again very Lin like.

10. boiler

boiler Member

I thought you know better than that. Hind sight is 20/20. It was a totally different situation when Morey let Goran go because of the player option and then signed Lin. Also regarding who will have a better career when they retire, the jury is still out there. Goran is having a hot stretch and no doubt a better player now. But people also forgot the not so spectacular season he had last year as the main guy on the team. The bottom line is that players get better and situation changes. Why can't Lin get better?

11. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

Yi Jianlian was a garbage player... but were are not talking about him now are we...

we are talking Lin should have been drafted

I think Yi got a shot in the NBA because of Yao... hey look another big Asian guy from China...

Lin has shown when he is allowed to dominate the ball he can be very good

its gotten to the point where I can watch the first few plays of the game when Lin comes in and know what kind of night Lin will have...just by where he runs to in the court...

12. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

if Lin runs to the 3 point line... I am thinking I dont even need to bother to tune in until the 4th...

where he takes 3 or 5 more shots... and runs his points total up to the 15 to 16 point range...

LOL

im thinking... Lin needs to go to a team where he is allowed to dominate the ball and put up some good numbers...stay with the Rox if he doesnt get traded and sign a new contract... this team ever wins it will be because the other players carried him...

kinda of like Jackie Robinson situation... who wasnt the best black ball player at the time but was chosen because he was the most even tempered...

be able to put up with the abuse until peoples perceptions change

13. kwongadong

kwongadong Member

Dragic in current form is better than Lin. Let's assume the management knew Dragic would develop into the player he is today. At the time, no one knew Harden/Howard would be signing here. Would you sign Dragic to his contract considering:

1) He will likely never lead a team to a championship. He's good, but not a star.

2) The team will not be terrible, and would possibly be on the edge of playoff contention (not unlike the previous couple seasons). No chance for a high lottery pick.

Morey's (and all GM's) job is to build a team that can win it all. He probably didn't think Dragic could take the team to the next level.

Lin was an unknown, possibly a flash in the pan, possibly a star, most likely a serviceable PG somewhere in the middle. The team paid roughly the same for a player who COULD be that guy (low probability), or flop and the Rockets could be lottery bound (higher probability), or be roughly where they would have been with Dragic: average.

Morey made the right decision when working with all the information he had at that time. Dragic and the Suns aren't making a deep playoff run.

14. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

.... I don't even know what to say about this post. It is so bad in so many ways. I really hope you're a troll dude

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Bullseye. That's exactly right. Very strong post.

I think if Jeremy was in Dragic's situation, his numbers would definitely be higher, but I'm not sure the Suns would be as good and I think the fan community would be inundated with "Trade Bledsoe" and "Fire Hornawreck" posts.

Hindsight?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Just hit me the Rockets offered more guaranteed $ annually to Jeremy Lin than Goran Dragic. That can't be a basketball decision.</p>&mdash; ClutchFans (@clutchfans) <a href="https://twitter.com/clutchfans/statuses/223980399817265155">July 14, 2012</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I did understand the logic of the player option at that time because of the guaranteed bad money angle. It was a hardline stance, but I understood it. Everything the Rockets were doing at the that time was about getting a star, and that's difficult to do at the stage the Rockets were at with player option contracts -- it makes them more difficult to trade.

But that had nothing to do with Lin and the Rockets' decision to then lock him in for more annual money than they offered Dragic. I eventually made peace with it since I expected a rebuilding phase to take a while and they could see what Lin could become, but team direction changed rapidly (their own choice).

Interestingly, the Rockets wouldn't offer that contract to Dragic because it would be harder to trade and instead offered a higher one with a year shorter to Lin. The irony comes where now Dragic is largely considered a "snubbed" All-Star, has a very high trade value and would likely not accept that player option if it were today... where Lin has a balloon payment coming and presumably would be difficult to move right now.

16. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

I think this is the reason Lin is so disliked by many Rox fans...

its that you felt you lost Dragic for Lin

when I know for a fact you lost Dragic before you even offered Lin the poison pill contract

I will argue because you lost Dragic you had to over pay for Lin so you could call the Knicks bluff they would match up to 1 billion dollars

what is worse... is Rox fans dont get why you did not offer Dragic that 4th year players option...

thats because you were going for the 2015 free agents

evidenced by the 3 year rental agreement you gave Lin and Asik

and the long term max contract you gave Harden

the Rox just lucked out getting Harden who got Howard... pushing them ahead of that 2015 time line...

17. AdrenaLINe

AdrenaLINe Rookie

but its true...

18. rocketblood713

19. Illegal Machine

Goran is a much much better player than Jeremy. I hated to lose Dat Dragon.

I wish Jeremy would learn to exploit his size and post up. I also wish he'd lose-the-ball-as-he-drives-to-the-hoop-with-nobody-touching-him less.

20. AvgJoe

AvgJoe Contributing Member

1. Morey offered Dragic contract first. After Dragic turned it down and signed with Phoenix, Morey HAD to offer something nice to get the next best PG available at the time, Lin. Lin was a restricted free agent. Morey over offered Lin so Knicks wouldn't match it. It was a desperate move motivated by Lin's market value. Obviously we no longer desperately need Lin's market value after we landed Harden, then Howard, but to compare Lin and Dragic that way isn't quite fair to Morey, since he did try to resign Dragic first.

2. Signing Lin had Les' shadow all over it.

3. At the time, Lin looked to have equal or more potential than Dragic.

4. Yes, Dragic is a better player now, but it took him 1 full season as the man of the team to do it. Last season he was no where near this good. No one can say how Lin would be if you let him be the man of a team. Some of the numbers are very promising though.

1 person likes this.