1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2014 Smart Phones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ItsMyFault, Feb 3, 2014.

1. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

In a word, no. The carriers use different radio technologies. Verizon, Sprint & US Celluar use CDMA (Code Division Multiple Access) while AT&T & T-Mobile use GSM (Global System for Mobiles). These are the two major radio systems used in cell phones. That means we're mostly a CDMA country. It also means we're not part of the norm, because most of the world is GSM. So a mobile S4 on the Verizon network will not work on the T-Mobile network.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I'm not sure that's true. S4's are generally sold as world phones because LTE doesn't operate on CDMA (it operates on a new system that was based on GSM)

My understanding is that an S4 from Verizon will work on TMobile BUT you wont have access to TMobile's LTE because TMobile's bands are not supported by Verizon's Galaxy S4.

You will however have access to TMobile's 4g HSPA+ which is more than adequate in terms of speed (and in some tests has outperformed the LTE of other carriers in certain markets)

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Any thoughts in the potential Sprint and T-Mobile merger that may happen?

As I Sprint customer, it'd be okay.

As someone looking to leave Sprint, I hate it.

4. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Expect exciting new announcements for Windows Phone in the next several months, starting with the Build Conference in early April. I'll be covering it on my blog for anyone interested.

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

No such thing, dog.

6. HillBoy

OK, to use the S4 outside of the US, you first have to have it unlocked by Verizon before you leave the country so it can accept another SIM card from another vendor. You can then add your APN number for that foreign service provider and you are off to the races. Now domestically, I don't believe that the Verizon version of the GS4 has the proper bands to support T-Mobile's data network especially the bands for T-Mobile's LTE network. If you are in a refarmed area, you can access HSPA+ with this phone so you are indeed correct here. You would still need to have the phone unlocked by Verizon. Since the device is from Verizon, I guess you won't be able to get a 4G but an H icon might show at the top of the screen of the phone. That H icon will show only in areas that has been fully modernized by T-Mobile. Most likely, you can get a 3G connection in some places.

#26 HillBoy, Feb 5, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  7. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

I'm a proud Lumia 1020 owner. Awesome phone. Only phone that takes RAW photos at 41mp.

8. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Your phone should already be unlocked as the latest phones from Verizon have come unlocked for GSM use.

LG G2
    Iphone 5s

I know for sure.

Only thing is you will not get 4g LTE from t-mobile but you should get HSPA+ which is comparable to LTE. I've gotten 15mbps down on HSPA+ and 1-2mb up. LTE is generally much faster in the uploading department.

9. BiGGieStuFF

Here is a question for those taking advantage of the t-mobile promotion to pay your ETFs.

What if you signed up for your phone through amazon or best buy or a retail store other than the carrier store. Does the retail store still charge an additional ETF as well or did they do away with that. Also if they didn't do away with that, I'm guessing T-mobile won't pay that ETF right?

10. wesnesked

wesnesked Contributing Member

I'm on my second Windows Phone (Focus, Nokia 920). I've been a big fan of the OS as I'm not a huge app guy. It just doesn't seem like WP8 is bringing much innovation to the table. The Nokia acquisition gives them a leg up on getting great handsets, but the OS seems to be getting left behind. The app support just isn't there to bring the 'must have' apps to the OS. My 920 is cracked and I'm looking for a replacement but I'm really unsure about sticking it out with WP8. I'm going to wait till April to see what WP8.1 brings with it, but if its just the Cortana assistant than I'll probably get a Samsung S5.

11. HillBoy

I used a Windows Mobile for years but ended up switching to a Samsung Galaxy Android phone when Micro$oft did not update the platform. Back in 2007, nearly everyone I knew in IT used Windows Mobile phones. I came this close to joining the Apple collective. I'm now using an HTC One and it's the best mobile I've ever had. Everything works - I had numerous issues with the GPS on the Samsung Galaxy and when I saw my sister-in-law and daughter's Galaxy S3 phones with the same issue, I decided not to go with the Galaxy S4. While I do like the look and feel of the new Windows Phones - especially the Nokia ones, they are/were 4-5 years too late as most IT guys I know switched to iPhones years ago. Plus, I use a number of special apps for IT that aren't on Windows phone. A shame, really. Another wasted opportunity by Micro$oft.

12. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Do they really do that? I wasn't aware....

I re-upped through Best Buy, and my contract is done in May-ish. The guy at Best Buy Mobile told me my buy out would be around $200. He didn't look it up, so I'm not totally sure. For T-Mobile to pay my ETF, I would sign up with them, pay my early termination for Sprint as normal. Then, I would send in my receipt/bill showing I payed it, and T-Mobile would give me monthly credits adding up to the amount of my ETF. Or that's what I was told.

Problem is, I don't know how much better T-Mobile's network is than Sprint's where I am. It can't possibly be worse. In the story, I took the test phone off of Wifi, and I was getting LTE. With my Sprint phone, I think I wasn't even getting 3G.

The guy at Best Buy Mobile (who doesn't sell T-Mobile) at first tried to tell me they didn't have 4G where I was. Then, I told him yeah they do, I was just at the store and tested it. And then he says, well, it's not true LTE, it's HSPA+. I told him, dude, I just read something online saying that T-Mobile put out LTE here months ago. Besides that, Sprint doesn't have HSPA + or LTE. Dude then started backtracking. "Well, if you go out into the boonies, you're not gonna get coverage." I responded with, "Right now, I live IN TOWN, and I don't get coverage.":rolleyes:

13. BiGGieStuFF

I did some additional reading and it appears the 2nd etf is no longer in effect after 6 months from sellers like radio Shack and Amazon. Best buy doesn't have a secondary agreement so there is only one etf to pay.

14. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Windows Phone is essentially dead. Microsoft is getting blown out of the water by everyone else.

15. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

My android phones that past 5 years.

HTC Nexus One
    HTC Aria
    HTC Desire
    Samsung Epic 4G
    HTC Thunderbolt
    Samsung Droid Charge
    HTC Incredible
    LG Revolution
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Verizon)
    Samsung Galaxy Nexus (White European GSM model)
    HTC One X+ International
    Nexus 5
    Moto X

Time for a change bro. I tried WP8 in the summer and love it but the lack of apps kills me. Going iPhone this year

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

You are the Larry King of cell phones.

17. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

Ha, I didn't even get to list the former iPhones I've had or my WP8 phone. The list could be even larger.

This just goes to show you, **** being an average 'murican' who signs contracts. I don't do that.

18. kaitanuva

kaitanuva Member

Wow you guys upgrade alot. I went from a free Tmobile phone that came with the family contract plan to a Nexus 4 recently. My next phone probably won't be until 2018 or something.

19. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

It's also the fastest growing platform. Sales are double what they were from last year and it has risen to be either the top or the second most used phone in something like 40 markets. To call it dead is a farce, will it outpace Android? No. Can it catch up to iOS, in 3/4 years definitely.

I'm excited for Cortana. Seeing what the Kinect does I think she will be more than just a run of the mill personal assistant.

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

i waited so long for windows phone to bring new features and they really haven't added anything in the last 2 years. Nokia tried.

What does windows phone offer me more than what i can do on iOS or Android? If anything you miss features and apps if you switch.