1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

My friend challenged me to find something different to do on a weekend

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Outlier, Feb 2, 2014.

1. SacTown

SacTown Member

People who have trouble being alone and people who have trouble with boredom usually don't end up wealthy. If you can't sit alone on the weekend and read a book, work on your business, art, master a skill or whatever in peace and quite you really need to think about this issue you have. This is also where incorrect ADHD disgnosises come in - and choosing a toxic partner come into play.

A Quote:

#41 SacTown, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  2. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

I'm 25 and still do the stuff that you mentioned, but I don't look at it in the same light as I did when I was 18-22. There's nothing wrong with the bar/club routine (or drinking in general) as long as you aren't the guy that wants to keep reliving his early-20s. If you still look forward to the weekend so you can get black out drunk and make bad decisions, you probably need to find something to keep you focused during the week and set some personal or career goals. The people you go out with/drink with shouldn't hold you back from achieving more and eventually you guys will find other stuff to do together that doesn't involve getting hammered.

I'm not trying to be judgmental, and maybe I'm drawing a lot of conclusions here... But I think I know where your friend is coming from because I have a few friends that are still stuck in that mentality. Sometimes I find myself less drawn to spend my time with them because we're just in different phases of our lives and careers.

3. BonziWellsGOAT

4. SacTown

SacTown Member

It's also easy to draw a conclusion to Outlier based on other theads started and comments he's made in the past. For example there was a long thread about how he couldn't find a job, several posts about him being completely broke, and even that thread about how he fudged up getting proper care for a dog that needed help.

And then you see a thread like this started by him and one could draw the conclusion that all of his problems and actions are related to this toxic mindset he has. I'm not drawing that conclusion or calling him out, but one could easily put the pieces together and do so. I hope he reads this and takes it constructively. I wish somebody had told me these things when I was 25, or even 19.

And for the record I was at the club Saturday night. I still go out and enjoy it, usually when there is a DJ I like performs here in Miami but I don't drink much and I do it maybe once per month, not every weekend. It's much more enjoyable for me this way.

I'll quote this again:

#44 SacTown, Feb 3, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  5. BonziWellsGOAT

I'm getting a little tired of tearin the club up too

Every weekend it was the same tired scene....life is more than just

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

Kudos to you OP for wanting to do things differently. Surprised there were not more smartass comments about how you need to keep drinking. The hangout surprises me at times :).

Lot of good suggestions so far. I'll add to some that have said you can still have a good time and not drink that much. I typically don't have more than a few drinks and am done with the getting trashed phase of things.

7. BonziWellsGOAT

Alright in the spirit of helping a fellow CFer a serious suggestion:

If you dont mind traveling go to your nearest river and go kayaking....maybe incorporate some hiking / camping with it. Like kayak to a campsite or something like that.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

one of the best things i've ever done is take a solo road trip. stayed at different state park every night for a week and met new people along the way. it's something i'd love to do annually.

9. TheChosenOne

TheChosenOne Contributing Member

I took a solo trip to Austin. I don't believe in talking to people, but I did have fun lol

10. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

11. Outlier

Outlier Member

Found two things I want to do: archery and indoor rock climbing (before the real thing), and after some time, kayaking.

Anyone do archery?

12. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Golf, dude. Golf.

13. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

The problem is that most of these things are better with alcohol, lol.

I'm a huge fan of doing fun outdoorsy sober things with my friends....and then drinking afterwards. Someone mentioned cards against humanity, which is an awesome game, but come on, people HAVE to drink when you play it.

I get drunk maybe once a week with either friends or coworkers. The other 6 days I don't touch alcohol. It's not so black and white...

14. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

I have a 15 month year old. My wife has zero stretch marks.

Were in South Beach as we speak. Calvin Harris last night at Story. Aoki at LIV tonight. Life doesn't stop after kids. She's 28. I'm 30. You don't really ball out until you get a little 'older' anyway.

#54 sammy, Feb 15, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  15. SacTown

SacTown Member

I'm going to that Aoki tonight...... LIV is the best venue in the world.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Sent you a message.

17. body slam

body slam Member

Texas Birthday Bash

Hour and a half road trip to Navasota and Washington on the Brazos and its FREE.

18. SacTown

SacTown Member

Got it... Will text you later. We'll be getting there around midnight.

19. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I play bridge...so wish I could find people to play with as much as poker. So have to play alone at home at the ACBL website. so sad.

Isn't there anyone on cf.net who wants to play Blue Club with me! We could destroy SAYC players, just like Belladonna did.

20. VanityHalfBlack

I'll raise you a:

[​IMG]