1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

That's not good. If you don't want Beverley to shoot that means the opposing team is just going to play 5 on 4 defense. That's going to make things a lot tougher for Harden and Howard.

I think you clintch when Bev and Lin shoot 3s because they are so popular here on CF lol, because you know a made or miss 3s from either one of them will cause tsunami of debates. Do you clintch when Harden shoot 3s? because thus far his 3points% is worse than Lin and Bev.

2. Ron_E

Ron_E Member

I would take offense over defense at this point offense flow better with lin in this squad. Last few games has not been fun to watch with beverly on the lineup we are avg way below our ppg.

3. Nook

Nook Member

I am glad that people are realizing that the Rockets need a starting point guard. Beverly would be fine as a starter if we had LBJ or MJ or prime Kobe, but we don't. Hell, if we had an elite bench, we could probably get away with Beverly and Lin..... but we don't.

As far as what point guards are available. It is hard to say honestly. Jeff Teague, Kyle Lowry, Rajon Rondo, Goran Dragic, Jameer Nelson and Jarett Jack all have been mentioned as possibly available. Having said that, I don't think many of these guys are actually available, and the ones that are available are marginal improvements to what we have.

To me, the solution in the interim is to really improve the bench. There are a number of guys on short deals that are available that could really improve the teams chances in the post season. Adding a Channing Frye and a Brandon Rush would really help.

4. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

I think we put our starting PG on the bench so that we could use a PG to bring the ball past half court and allow Harden to be the PG. I don't think that is the best strategy for a consistent winning recipe.

Harden is without doubt our best offensive player, but his strengths are being misused and overused when he is asked to run the offense 90% of the time because Bev is not an offensive leader at PG.

If the response if to start Bev to cover up Harden's defensive woes, then the coach is actually approving and enabling these defensive woes to continue, in the name of "winning". It's not helping the team to try to cover up Harden's defensive effort. Instead he should be held accountable each game for his defensive effort and called out for it during the actual game.

Harden should only run the offense during the last 10 seconds of a possession and at the end of a game if we need a game winning shot. That's when you let him ISO and create off the dribble. Otherwise, we should be running picks for Harden to get him free for a shot or open to create off his motion with his dribble, instead of him having to work too hard starting one on one at the top of the key the whole game.

5. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Again, the problem is neither Lin nor Bev are starting caliber PG's. Of the two, Bev has a better contract and will probably help the Rockets long term

Lin is just a below average PG who looks really bad at the moment. Shots not falling, lacking in confidence. I'm sure Morey will not hesitate to move the Lin contract for a better PG and move Bev back to the bench.

6. lakedragon

lakedragon Member

Q: Congratulation on finding a great starting PG Bev. So, with Bev starts, you must win much more games than with Lin starts?
    A: uh... well... actually, When Lin starts it's 15/7 at 68.2% and Bev is 17/11 at 60.7%, but Bev do win 2 more games than Lin
    Q: Great! Great! And also with Bev's strong defense, Rockets must be the #1 defensive team in the NBA
    A: uh...
    Q: Top 10?
    A: uh...
    Q: around 15 maybe?
    A: Y...a it's at #20
    Q: Oh... You also have the #1 center Howard this season, how is he doing, still grabbing all the rebounds?
    A: He is doing OK ... he still rank #4 in rebound
    Q: Oh... then he must be blocking all the shots
    A: W...ell he is #9 in blocking shots
    Q: Then he must score a lot of points
    A: Ya, he is still scoring close to his career average at 18pt/game
    Q: That's great. How about Harden, with the best fit Bev on his side, he must have a break out year
    A: Ya, he is now the #1 SG in the league
    Q: Amazing, so he must be the score leader, with last year almost 26pt/game, he must be close to 30pt/game this year?
    A: uh... w...ell, he's been bothered by some injuries, so he is 23.7/game now
    Q: His 3pt shot is a killer, he made 36.8% last year, did he make it 40 this year?
    A: uh... he is little low at 32.1% now, but I am sure he will improve and bring it back
    Q: Sure, Sure! Well, it's been a pleasure interviewing you and again Congratulation on your great investment of 25M and finally making a young hard working starting PG into a bench scrub.
    A: Th... Thank... You

7. FANfrom86toNow

FANfrom86toNow Contributing Member

LOL, you are gonna get a lot of hate for this, but I can't lie, it was kind of funny.

8. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

I'd love to hear how you got that we're ranked 20th in the NBA in defense. I won't even mention anything else in this ridiculous post

9. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Rondo is out there but I'm not sure we have enough to get him. it would also bring upon a complete change on both sides of the ball (which I'd welcome). Other then that, I'd agree there isn't much at the moment.

I completely agree. Harden playing D once a week won't work if we want to contend and Bev has to be an extremely efficient 3 point shooter if he's going to start.

Asik would be great but it seems that ship has sailed

10. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

I am not sure why people keep saying Lin isn't starting caliber PG. Dude started 80+ games last season and this team got into playoff that didn't archive in past few years. At least half of the season Lin was the main ball handler and we win games with run and gun style.

But this season, Lin transformed to a backup shooting guard is still a mystery. Whenever Lin is on the floor, Parsons, Beverley or AB were handling the ball as a point guard.

1 person likes this.
  11. RRockets

RRockets Member

12. lakedragon

lakedragon Member

13. lakedragon

lakedragon Member

14. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Anyone have Harden's stats comparison starting with Bev or Lin?

If Bev fits better with Harden, we should see his FG% go up

15. BonziWellsGOAT

[​IMG]

16. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

Oh, so you're basing defensive ranking on points allowed per game? If only there was a more accurate defensive ranking out for the public to see that actually represented if a team was good at defense or not.....dude get educated on current basketball before you figure out who should be playing more or not.

17. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

I doubt they plan to start either of them long-term. Position needs an overall upgrade, period.

ETA: Agree w/ your "bandage" statement, to be clear.

18. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

19. Htownballer38

Htownballer38 Member

I don't think McHale or Management is saying since Beverley's contract is lower we should start him. However I think McHale starts Bev because of his defensive energy and hustle plays. He also thinks Lin is best suited as a 6 man.

20. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie