1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. been_exed

been_exed Member

Why lock it? If Clutch puts himself out there then he should take the lumps that go with it. Ive been losing a lot of respect for this forum ever since the yao bashing happened and now i have to sit here and read this crap as we exalt this 3rd rate player pbev as the next coming of christ. If Clutch wants a forum that we all can be proud of and respect then he should not censor what true rockets fan believe in.

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

The same can be said about Lin, can it not be? If Lin's spreading the floor and/or attacking the basket, why does he deserve to start?

You LOFs keep pointing out deficiencies of other Rockets players, all while labeling anyone who dares point out deficiencies in Lin's game as "haters."

3. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

Zboy needs glasses. I pointed out plenty of numbers that showed how the numbers that Clutch used can be used to make plenty of other false conclusions too- such as Brewer and Lin playing better with the starters than Parsons and Bev. They also showed that we are better with Casspi starting instead of T Jones. What's your eye test say about that?

4. Dementium

Dementium Member

Okay. It makes sense logically to have Lin off the bench. But to give him such sporadic minutes? What do you really expect him to do when you yank him every four minutes especially when for most of those 4 minutes Harden is still on the floor.

The Lin off the bench thing sounds beautiful in theory but they aren't really playing him like the 6th man. Heck, hes an afterthought most of the time. McHale subbed him in with less than 1 minute left to play in the 2nd quarter? What for? I understand its to keep Bev from getting more fouls but he subbed him in for TJones.

And besides, now its not even a matter of starting. If it hasn't been clear before, the coaches clearly think Bev is better than Lin. Do you really think Bev should be getting more minutes than Lin?

5. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

I don't agree because they played fine together last year and frankly, it's on Harden to accept his role as SG. That's what he is and that's the only way we get any benefit from Lin is by playing him as a real PG.

Also, assuming you were correct, Harden plays over 38 minutes a game. So do you propose only playing 9.5 min a game?

6. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

So someone posted the record when Lin plays over 30 minutes and when Bev plays 30 min. What's the actual record of when Lin starts vs Bev?

7. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

LOL!

Thanks for making your agenda clear.

I have noticed quiet a few of you coming out of your holes lately. :)

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Your real question makes no sense, given that it's a fuzzy concept with an indeterminate timeline regarding an arbitrary, subjective issue.

But I'll bite. Jeremy Lin started 82 games last season and did that help him develop into a better starter? Lin has shot 45% as a starter this year and 49% as a bench player. His rating is +3 coming off the bench and -3 as a starter.

So obviously, starting 82 games last year didn't help Lin become a better starter. So why would anyone care if he's coming off the bench now?

1 person likes this.
  9. Clarinetmonster

I know this has been stated but it bears repeating. Neither 'PG' is playing that well right now, but just upgrading that position would do very little in terms of the win column as there are other issues. Now if the upgrade involved giving the new PG more of the reins, that could help quite a bit. But I don't think it will happen sadly.

10. Dementium

Dementium Member

Lol. I never said Lin was the solution. He isn't. Not the way hes being used. But neither is AB.

I think you are reading too much into my comment there.

11. Dementium

Dementium Member

I don't know. Its like they are cursed or something. Excellent three point shooters become lousy three point shooters.

Harden is at his worst 3 point shooting percentage in forever. Last year we had beautiful games (i.e. against GS). I refuse to believe that all those made threes were due to Delfino.

Right now it just seems they have a slump from three point land. Hopefully it evens out.

12. been_exed

been_exed Member

Get off your high horse. Just because someone thinks lin is a better option does not make him a LOF. Maybe they just have a difference in opinion from you and you cant stomach it. This is what is wrong with posters like you. You foster this elitist bull**** and make this forum the way it is today.

As for my opinion, Lin nor Bev is the answer. Nor are the supposed superstars on our team. Our superstars lack conviction to make others better and to stand up to mchale when he clearly isnt calling the right plays.

13. Dementium

Dementium Member

15-7 for Lin versus 17-11 for Bev.

Lol, on the issue of small sample size, Lin is 8-6 off the bench and Bev is 1-0. Clearly Bev should come off the bench. We win all games when he does. XD (And if you guys can't tell this is a joke I don't know what to tell you)

14. YYYY1313

YYYY1313 Member

Question why isn't win loss more important than the def and offensive rating that clutch posted. In the end isn't winning all that matters?

15. roxfan123

roxfan123 Member

Here is what I propose: starting Lin and tell him the ball is in his hand; tell Harden to be a SG and play some damn defense; tell DH to set some picks; bring a better coach. Coach change being the most important. I personally believe Lin starting has better potential than Bev starting, if other changes are met. Your statistics says with the current play style, Lin is better off from bench; my observation tells me this style won't go deep in playoff. Fair enough?

16. been_exed

been_exed Member

Agenda my ass. I could care less about yao. What i do care about is posters like you who are so quick to call someone a yof or a lof because they differ from your opinion. Is this what you resort to? While i do not agree with your post im not quick to marginalize your opinion or label you. Your labeling of my agenda is lame..

17. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

The correct usage is "I couldn't care less." And clearly you care based on your own comments.

I didnt label you.

You, yourself did. :grin:

#1457 Zboy, Jan 26, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2014
  18. aurocketfan

aurocketfan Member

Supreme Level? Wow. Wonder what level would that be?

Both PGs are back up material. Though PG problem isn't on the top of our priority list, getting rid of Mcfail and trading Asik are.

19. RoxDC

RoxDC Member

If only McHale could figure out how to use his bench, though. I still can't believe some of the rotations he uses. Also, 23 minutes for Parsons last night in the first half is ridiculous.

20. Clarinetmonster

I just checked his stats on NBA.com - it has him at a +5.8 as a starter and a -.1 as a bench player - why do we have different info?