1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I'm not commenting on the rest of your post, but I see this irritating response so much. Let's use some common sense here guys. No one is using "LOH" or "BOF" in its perfect TECHNICAL sense. It's a label that gets thrown around now to represent a group of people that share a common opinion. If anything, I think LOH is really LOFH lol.

As annoying as LOFs are, I have to admit that I find LOFHs worse, if only because they act so dang self-righteous while claiming the other side started it first and how the other side is delusional, etc., when they're equally so.

Posters like Flippin, who I find one of the most egregious LOFHs, are vexing as hell. They will actually go out of their way to label any post that is even remotely complimentary of Lin (or the like) as that of a LOF and then begin to verbally assault them with poor logic and misrepresentations. I don't know if it is poor reading comprehension or just the lack of giving a damn, but there are probably wayyyy fewer LOFs in existence on CF now than all the LOFHs would make you believe.

fyi, LOFHs are people who not only constantly slam LOFs, but start thinking anyone that disagrees with them in the slightest must be a LOF as well.

2. pwnyxpress

pwnyxpress Contributing Member

I absolutely agree with this post. I think it is obvious that Clutch is somewhat biased against Lin, probably due more to LOFs on his forum than any other reason...but that's fine! It's his forum and his opinion. I don't think being a moderator means he HAS to cater to everyone. Last I checked, we aren't paying him to do so lol.

And I also think a lot of people hating on Lin really mean to hate on LOFs. Lin's collateral damage, which is too bad. But it's hard to counter LOFs sometimes without bringing Lin into the equation. Above average posters are able to be reasonable and use stats and refute LOFs, but by definition, not everyone can be above average :p

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

^^^^^

I guess the least Lin could do is pull an Omer Asik(DO IT!) or take James Harden's all-star spot. :grin:

Of course Jeremy himself is too gracious to do either.

4. JBar

JBar Rookie

I thought Clutch's statistical analysis was fine, and I agree that Bev should start. I did think his lede was weird, though:

The five most-watched videos ever on ClutchFans are as follows: Three Jeremy Lin highlights, a Jeremy Lin interview and a clip of Patrick Beverley being thrown to the floor.

So trust me when I say I know what many fans want to hear. I know how easy it would be right now to be that pageview-pushing troll who writes that Kevin McHale has an irrational dislike of Jeremy Lin and is killing a championship team because of it.

What exactly was Clutch implying about the Beverley clip? It seems, in Clutch's mind, that most people on the forum were not thinking thoughts like the following: "Glad this junkyard dog is on our team!" "Bev is so pesky! Love it." "Gasol is such a jerk!" "It reminds me of the time Beverley picked Jrue's pocket like four times in two minutes. Nobody on defense gets under people's skin like Bev. He's so awesome!"

No, instead, it appears to me that Clutch is suggesting that most people viewing that video on this site were thinking something along the lines of the following: "I enjoy watching the player competing with my favorite player for a starting spot being thrown to the ground."

Either a lot of people have very dark hearts on this forum, or Clutch's disgust with some of Lin's fanatical supporters, is leaving him, well, a little bitter.

5. Can't Dribble

Can't Dribble Member

I doubt he's biased against Lin. The problem is Lin fans think if we don't agree with them on their opinion of Lin that we must hate Lin. Lin's a part of the team. Of course we want him to play well, just like we want the other 14 or however many players to play well.

But many of us that are completely impartial believe Beverley isn't just a better fit for the team. He's a flat-out better player than Lin. Does that mean we hate Lin? No. Do I hate Scott Machado because I think Lin's better than him? No.

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

the needs of the 1. Clutch is member #1.
    So the needs of the Clutch > the needs of everybody

Also if you ask the Hump Back whales who are from the bay area, they say they are sick of the Lin fans complaining about Beverly too so they asked to be sent into the future where there are no LOFs

7. alethios

alethios Member

Clutch likes Lin, but Clutch is just a realist, unlike some. It's been stated many times that team wins are the most important things to root for, not individual players - if you want to just root for the player at the expense of the team then you should not claim to be a fan of the team. Move on.

8. Joe Gent

Joe Gent Member

What makes things worse (which I mentioned before) is the stuff between the stats that Lin messes up on. Turnovers that get converted into points, how he breaks the offensive plays by getting panicked/stuck on the floor and his teammates have to adjust on the fly (which mostly leads to catastrophe). Jump passing......on the line. These are things that all PRO players should have mastered as basic basketball skills. Lin is lost.

9. tinman

Supporting Member

He keeps it real.

Like when Dream won the MVP, he thanked his teammates and asked them to come accept the trophy with him,
    that was a real moment.

10. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Pick another site then. It's not like you actually contribute here anyways.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He does have a lot of time left, and the org hasn't given up on him either. They are stuck with one another and both seem committed to working to find the best solution for a fit.

Hopefully something will work out, but I am not holding my breathe any longer.

12. J-Wolf

J-Wolf Member

Lin played an almost-perfect game during this stretch, 16 pts, 9 as, and 1 TO, 5/7 fg? He struggles at times in other games. He needs time and trust to develop his psyche and skills. Hopefully he keeps his head high and continue to commit to getting better.

13. Panda23

Panda23 Member

yep.

thats why posts along the lines of, "I want Lin gone so his fans will leave", "I make my own views more extreme because so many people prop Lin up" are just insanity.

if you want him gone, you want him gone because you think he's bad at basketball, and not going to help the team win.

If this truely meaningless, ancillary internet crap really does warp your mind that sadly then tehGlides post is true.

Now I do not doubt if I was running a site like this and it was being ruined by an influx of player-only-fans, I'd hold some indifference too.

1 person likes this.
  14. dchoye

dchoye Member

Im a Lin fan and I like to see him get more playing time, but his effectiveness is leading the 2nd unit. he gets more chances with the ball in his hands and it's redundant with Lin and Harden on the floor at the same time
    Lin ,embrace the Manu role ,score and create as the 6th man.

15. QuaDouble

QuaDouble Member

It may also help lessen Harden's minutes if Lin is effective in that role.

16. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

win. win

17. calcium

calcium Member

I think the question should be

Are the Rockets stronger with Lin on the roster or not?

18. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

He is still a capable NBA level player who will be the main guy off the bench so yes, Rockets are stronger with Lin on the roster RIGHT NOW.

Now if he were to be traded, it'd depend on what pieces the Rockets get in return

19. tinman

Supporting Member

i want to see:

1. how he plays in the playoffs
    2. if he's healthy

20. Honeybager81

Honeybager81 Member

I think Lin played well in general after injury. His stats suffered through the last three games since his minutes were cut and he was not allows to get more points.