1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[ClutchFans] The numbers are clear: Patrick Beverley deserves to start over Jeremy Lin

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 21, 2014.

1. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Winning > having one player start over another because of fan opinion

I think the Lin fans don't care about his basketball abilities at all, I think they just love the height of his fame and exposure it created.
    they just want the fame.

they want him to live forever
    they want him to learn how to fly
    they feel it coming together
    People will see him and cry
    they want him to make it to heaven
    Light up the sky like a flame
    they want him to live forever
    they want to remember his name

2. Samo

Samo Member

Yeah, let's tear down the man and have a party! Stone hearted axxholes.

1 person likes this.
  3. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This. I really enjoyed the AB vs Lowry debate. Absolutely nothing like this one

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we're just tearing down myths with the truth.

we love jeremy lin, you hate him.

we want jeremy lin to enjoy team success , it doesn't matter if is on the bench

it only matters to those who live vicariously through lin

Jeremy,

Your real fans are the Rockets fans, we're the ones who care about your team success. Plus we're about 100x smarter than those other so called fans.

#544 tinman, Jan 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  5. ed_tx

ed_tx Contributing Member

And those same numbers say we should start Casspi over TJ. Those same numbers also show that we are better off with Brewer And Lin starting instead of Parsons and Bev. The rest of our starters play better.

Do you agree with that?

6. imaginedragons

[/QUOTE]

agree with this.

i read somewhere many years back a story about Penny Hardaway. It said that there was a personality/psychological test he took where he scored very low in areas related to "killer instinct" and "ruthlessness" and higher on "emotional", the exact opposite of scores of Jordan, Magic, and Bird, although in all other areas, the results were similar.

I think that would be similar to Lin's problem. He lacks that killer mentality, where he takes his opponents' lunch and revels in it. He is too goody goody, which is ok as a person, but holds him back as an NBA player. He hesitates to take charge, defers, gets easily affected and leads to even more timidity.

Beverley is relentless and ruthless. He will guard you and get in your face. Granted that he is not as talented offensively as Lin, but Beverley brings a fire and passion coaches and teammates love. Whether that is enough to plug the PG spot to win a title is another matter altogether.

To argue "fit" in the starting lineup seems way too complex than just using lineup net ratings. These alone aren't enough to support Bev being in the starting lineup, but prove that him being there is by no means a reach. You add the contrasting personality traits to the argument and the decision just gains more credence.

7. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

don't need stats to realize that TJ the best options at PF and Brewer's a scrub now.

8. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Brewer is really terrible.

9. OnebyOne

OnebyOne Member

JLin is a mystery to me. I know he has all the tools to be a great point guard but for some reasons, his mindset varied from quarter to quarter, from game to game. Is it all on Lin or is it the coaches and teammates?

10. pippsux

pippsux Member

Lin didn't take advantage of bev's absence. He has only himself to blame.

11. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Wow, nicely written. I agree with this and with Clutch's article.

I don't know what it is with Lin lately. He started off the season great, but he has had the don't give the damn altitude for quite a bit of time now and it showed on the court in his plays. Instead of once in a while bad game, now it's once in a while good game. Whatever it is, it's to the point that you wonder if he even should see the court. And IMO, whatever are the reasons, whatever are the causes, the only real solution is within him to push through whatever he's going through, change his self reaction to the position he's in and play ball to at least his standard.

It's sad to me that Lin has showed so much potential but now seems to be more than ever a missed opportunity for the team. That's on Lin and the coaching staff. The best to him - the Rockets can really be deadly when he's at his best. Hopefully he can renew his focus on being a great player off the bench (and that the coaching staff can help get him there).

12. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Bev had a good first game back but people forget how terrible he's played this season.

I don't agree with Bev starting for this team until he pulls his PER up from scrub levels.

I'd wait until after the All-Star break to see how well Bev performs.

13. HardenWay

HardenWay Member

Lin is a good player, valuable to the team.There is NO QUESTION that Beverly is the starter this team needs.

14. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

what's more important to you? team wins and +/- or individual's PER?

15. jkckwong

jkckwong Member

16. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

I enjoyed reading your post!

I'm not a stats/numbers guy so I'll leave that part for the more educated members of the GARM. I do agree that in basketball, your stats are often times tied to the the players you play with, and if jealousy starts to set in against you because of the attention you are getting (deserved or undeserved), the players might not be inclined to share the ball with you as much! I however don't think that jealousy would cause a player to want to be less productive in his own personal stats (scoring/rebounding/ etc.)! Can jealousy between teammates affect the outcome of the game? Absolutely! I think that Jlin's personality might help the chemistry of the team off-court, but on the court, I think jealousy of him might actually be a stumbling block in trying to win a championship!...:(

I like Jlin, as a player and how he lives his life, but I'm going to like him even more when he get's traded.

(P.S) It's ironic that the (who should start) debate really took full strength during the Linsanity invasion of the Philippines and Taiwan. Coincidence?...:confused:

17. Remii

Remii Member

Casspi and Brewer over TJ and Parsons. What numbers are you looking at...???

Numbers are fun to play with but the good ol eye test tells you who fits on the team as a starter and who doesn't.

18. HoopFan

HoopFan Member

I don't know either. But looks like he is not happy with the situation. I can't blame him (the blame could be placed more on the coaching stuff how he was treated lately in those two late game situation). He is only a human being and young. People can say whatever we like, "be professional". Until you experience yourself in sb else's shoes, you don't know how each would deal with it. At least, he is trying to be positive, unlike Asik. Hopefully, he can regain his confidence.

19. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Is pat bev the new no stat all star?

20. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

LOL...If you came up with this, you need to copyright it! There is money to be made here...:grin: