1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Razsan

Razsan Member

Oh so then Lin is awful and responsible for the game...I got it.
    Jackson scored MOST of his points on someone not named Lin so can we get away from this blaming Lin for Jackson crap.

2. Linsanity 2.0

Linsanity 2.0 Member

Everyone dropped a turd in the 2nd half of the OKC game. I thought Parsons looked the worst, to be honest. Did anyone aside from me mention his horrific performance? Didn't see a single person rip into him.

James also had a bad performance, but not many mentions of his inability to score a bucket.

Dwight just disappeared, but did have foul problems throughout the game. Anyone attack the 20 million dollar man? Didn't really see any fans too disappointed in his game.

Brooks looked lost in the 2nd half, and had one positive play in 12 mins of play in the 2nd half. Aside from me, did anyone have any issues with his turd? Not many.

Jeremy also laid a turd, and only played 24 mins in the OKC game, did anyone rip on him? Yes, half the community on this site blames his position for the loss.

When Houston losses, they need an upgrade at the PG position. Like some people will always blame McHale for losses, there are some people that will always blame Lin for losses. He gets way too much blame for losses, even in games where he only played 24 minutes. It's getting truly ridiculous how he is the scapegoat for the issues in Houston for many people, even though he isn't even considered one of the stars. Jeremy Lin on this current roster is a bench player. He's Aaron Brooks when Beverley comes back. A non-starter who is suppose to facilitate the offense for the 2nd unit. Do I blame Brooks for the loss to OKC? Absolutely not. I blame McHale for playing him too long. Do I think Brooks needs to be traded or is hot garbage. No, he's probably one of the better 3rd string PGs in the league.

You on the other hand, chuckle when Lin gets beat by a back-up PG. Yeah OK, trust me dude, you are pulling for this guys failure. Does it really matter that you have a little Haterade for Lin. Not really, but don't try to pull your holier than thou B.S.

3. Razsan

Razsan Member

That wasn't what the point. You randomly blamed Lin's play in a discussion regarding the game Jackson had. And where did I blame anyone else for Lin's performance? My point still stands, they all played poorly and the fact STILL remains that while Jeremy played, they were winning and McHale left a woefully overmatched Brooks in the game even when HE played like a turd.

4. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

Realistically, i doubt people actually blame Lin more than others. That being said, on the boards it easier to spew venom at a player if you know it'll piss off half the Lin fan base on these boards. In general, when you're frustrated, who are you going to take it on? The people that annoy you the most.

I love Lin, but i also realize he gets crapped on more than most because of his fan base. Very similar to Eli Manning and the Giants. Eli's fans are so damn annoying, so when the Giants lose, the first thing I do is piss off his fans. They're not Giant fans as they put a player above the team.

I'm sure rocket fans feel the same way.

5. C. Orientalis

C. Orientalis Member

I agree with this but does that make it ok?

6. SirKen

SirKen Member

"I am angry we lost, so I will selfishly ruin any attempt at any decent basketball conversation"

Lovely personality you guys have there.

7. chandlerbang21

Dwight was being doubled by Perkins and I aka when he got. Close to the rim and they were fouling him or blocking his shot. That's why he had a bad game .

The only guy who got handled by a single defender is harden who completely disappeared in second half

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

If that's all you think could go wrong, then I'm Ok with it!! But as long as we keep building leads, then turning the ball over, can't get the ball inside to Dwight, and can't get a lay up when the 3 isn't falling. I'll take it ALL DAY.:grin:

9. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

Fans are going to be fans. People are going to be people. But it IS annoying when people who put the player above the team pretend that they are every bit a fan as the "original" board members.

I think that's one thing people need to realize. Short of the very obvious trolls, a lot of the "LOH" on here just want the rockets to win. Sure, they may give us LOF a dig here and there, but it comes with the territory

This situation is just like what happened with Tim Tebow and his fans (except for the very obvious that Lin can play the game at a pro level).

10. Gumblin

Gumblin Member

No, but if Eli (in the case here, Lin) has a bad game, i'll certainly point it out. At the end of the day, player homers are annoying. I've been labeled an "Eli Hater" on our Giants boards too. However, that is far from the case.

If anything, the rocket fans here have been relatively civil and open minded.

11. nchan

nchan Member

You can't really blame Mchale for letting Brooks staying in the game for too long. Jeremy and Harden were ineffective in this game. Brooks was hot, very hot in the first half. So Mchale let Brooks stay in the game. Similar to the Knicks game, Brooks was absolutely garbage in the fourth quarter, but he stayed in the game because Jeremy was ineffective.

12. khyberjones

khyberjones Member

The team has a higher winning % with Lin as the starter. He has had several standout games in his 2 years with the Rockets. He has far more talent than Beverley. It would be ok to play Lin off the bench if the 2 stars were good enough to optimize the potential of the first unit. That simply isn't the case. Howard and Jones need Lin to get them into rhythm. Harden is streaky and needs Lin to balance the floor and carry the scoring load at times. Neither Harden nor Howard are great 2 way players. We're not talking Lebron/DWade here or even Westbrook/Durant or CP3/Griffin. Howard is limited offensively and has trouble matching up with taller players who have some range and run the floor. Harden is streaky offensively and is a defensive liability. If they're not committed to Lin as the starter then they should follow through on the Boston trade rumor and ship him and Asik to the Celtics or Rondo.

13. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

If BOS would give us Rondo for Asik/Lin, I'm 99.9% sure that deal would have been done by now. Celtics are currently acquiring expiring contracts and picks to be used as assets in rebuilding. I fail to see how Asik/Lin and their contracts would fit their plan.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It wasn't random in the least. This is a Lin thread and last year Beverley got trashed by LOF's for his performance against a back up point guard in Reggie Jackson. This game everyone else is to blame for Jeremy's performance against the same back up point guard except Jeremy Lin. Should I quote myself?

Brooks outshot Lin, outscored Lin, out assisted Lin, out rebounded Lin, and had a better plus minus than Lin. If that's woefully overmatched then what was Lin? Oh right, it was McHale's fault.

15. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Lowry making the case for being a starter?
    Dragic making the case for being a starter?
    Brooks making the case for being a starter?

16. THE DR34M

THE DR34M Rookie

Doesn't matter. Bev is coming back Monday!

Even if Bev plays worse than he did before the injury and Lin catches fire...

LIN WILL NEVER START OVER BEV!

As long as McHale's our coach, LOF's will have to accept his decisions!

17. fluors

fluors Member

Yeap. It's looks like you are right. especially given the fact that Rondo was introduced as the "15th team captain" upon his return last night. It would be the height of hypocrisy to name him team captain and then ship him out a few weeks later. Ainge is an honorable man. Celts aren't trading Rondo. Ainge also said he wants to build around Rondo and I believe him.

With the new addition of Howard and Harden, and subsequent player position changes and tweaking the offense (run and gun vs half-court, a change made necessary by the addition of Howard), the team has been turned on its head, forced to make adjustments, for two years running. Now I keep hearing about adding a third "superstar". This is a good thing if looking long term but doing so now would likely further delay the jelling process for yet another season. They haven't even yet figured out how best to utilize Howard. If half-court is the new offense for this season, then this new philosophy would pretty much mirror a majority of NBA teams. This means that we, as Rocket fans, can expect a lot more ugly, grind-it-out, close games. Also, the slower tempo will put even more pressure on our already taxed perimeter defenders. Parsons, Lin, and Bev will spend a lot more time chasing the ball, running through and around screens, getting picked and bullied hard by PFs and C twice their size and weight. It also means that Parsons, Beard and Lin will not be able to drive the lane as effectively. That's why you'll never see me disparaging any of the Rockets perimeter defenders against bigger and more athletic teams. Bev, Lin, and Parsons are soaked with sweat by the end of the game because they expend so much energy on defense. I don't believe for a second that these guys are stupid or un-coachable. I believe they are doing exactly what they've been told to do, especially when it comes to defending the P&R. If you think their best is not good enough or that their best is wasted in a flawed defensive system, that's understandable and those issues should be addressed, but, you can't ask the current perimeter defenders for more than they are physically able to give. They're giving as much effort as they can.

If left to me, I wouldn't change anything. Of course, I don't have to worry about offensive strategies, playbooks, coaching philosophies, poison pills and luxury taxes. The Rockets have all the right pieces. They need time to jell; time to learn the best ways to maximize the different talents. They have great off-court team chemistry off court. If they could somehow translate that to the game itself (within the offensive philosophy), that would be great.

18. RocketPowerNick

Yup, with McHale Lin will be 6th man.

19. gene18

gene18 Rookie

Boy ,you are one angry dude who has difficulty understanding what others wright.

20. steady

steady Member

Ok, I see where you are coming from. Lin was badly outplayed by Reggie Jackson. And you are right Lin is to blame for his own bad performance. Noone else is.

But does that mean that McHale make the right call by keeping AB in the game from 4 min left in the 3Q to 4 min left in the 4q? What if I told you that in the four minutes before AB was subbed out, Reggie Jackson scored 7 points?