1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[clutchfans history] In Hindsight threads

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Jan 15, 2014.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Kobe coming over could mean an even earlier injury streak, who knows......

Hindsight is hindsight

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You once again don't understand the topic of the thread.

3. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Both Adelman and JVG wanted to comeback but wasn't asked back. JVG has said several times on air he does not agree with their decision. To me that is fired. We have contractors where I work, when they are not asked back, it's either because the job was no longer there or they were not wanted back. They were let go aka fired.

4. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Clutch View Post
    I stripped the poll with the two wonderful answers of YES and YES. Brilliant. I may merge this with the random trade idea thread, but I let some random ideas slide with Kobe given current events... I don't want every random trade idea in a new thread just because it has a poll.

Originally Posted by couple of d's View Post
    hellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll noooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Damn im glad you are not our general manager.

---------------------------------------------------
    Wow that was a long time ago, how did you dig that up Tinman? I don't even remember having that point of view.

From the two quotes:

1) As youngster. I failed as a Clutchfans thread starter

2) I would've been an awesome NBA GM

Also just clicking thread, one star? The analysis of the four players wasn't that off was it?

5. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Adelman didn't want to come back. He was still pissed over the Battier trade and not having input on personnel.

They tried to work out an extension for a while.

6. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Great post, now all we're missing is the parallel about with Yao vs. Francis and Lin vs. Harden posts.

7. ty185

ty185 Member

nice one :) repped!

8. ty185

ty185 Member

for some reason, I could never help myself from laughing whenever someone mentions the sura faints jokes...

9. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Adelman, Rockets disagreed over successor
    Team wanted former coach to mentor management-selected future coach
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2011 Houston Chronicle
    May 2, 2011, 7:57PM

The Rockets had decided they would choose Rick Adelman's successor even before the team and the coach had agreed to part ways.

Adelman could have remained the Rockets' head coach, but was told that the Rockets had decided to hire his successor and put him on Adelman’s coaching staff if he remained, according to two individuals with knowledge of the talks.

Though Adelman and Rockets general manager Daryl Morey came together on several issues, Morey wanted Adelman to mentor a successor that Morey and Rockets owner Leslie Alexander would have chosen and put on Adelman’s staff. Adelman was unwilling to make the changes necessary to his staff, arguing in favor of assistants.

Adelman, 64, has long touted lead assistant Elston Turner as ready to lead a team, but the Rockets were not willing to designate Turner as Adelman’s successor, leading to Turner’s decision to turn down an offer to interview for the head coaching position.

There were discussions about adding Rio Grande Valley Vipers coach Chris Finch to the Rockets staff, according to both persons familiar with the talks, but it is unclear if Finch would have been designated as the head coach in waiting.

Finch led the Vipers to the 2009-10 NBA Development League championship and to this season’s D-League Finals.

Morey has been unwilling to discuss the disagreements that led to Adelman’s departure.

“We agreed to keep those conversations to ourselves,” Morey said last month. “We feel like we need change. I think the differences in terms of the mutual fit revolve around that.”

Though there have been instances in which assistant coaches have been designated to succeed veteran coaches, in those cases the assistant was part of a staff, rather than placed on the staff by the front office.

It is even more unusual given Adelman’s track record. He moved to eighth in career coaching wins and had the best winning percentage as Rockets coach in franchise history.

His assistants – Turner, Jack Sikma, T.R. Dunn and R.J. Adelman – had been on Adelman’s staff in all four seasons in Houston. Turner was a Sacramento assistant under Adelman for six seasons, Dunn for four seasons.

Sikma, who interviewed for the Rockets head coaching position last week, was an assistant coach in Seattle for four seasons. R.J. Adelman had been an advance scout for the Kings and SuperSonics before joining his father in Houston.

The insistence on putting a successor on Adelman’s staff would not be a part of the current coaching search because the Rockets are not expected to choose a coach late in his career. They could, however, seek to place Finch or another coach with a player development background on a new coach’s staff.

Finch is not expected to be a candidate for the head coaching position with the Rockets apparently seeking a coach with experience as an NBA head or assistant coach.

The Rockets interviewed Mike Woodson, Mario Elie, Kelvin Sampson and Sikma last week and are expected to meet with Sam Cassell and Kevin McHale this week. They have also shown interest in Dallas’ Dwane Casey, New Orleans’ Michael Malone, Boston’s Lawrence Frank, Los Angeles’ Brian Shaw and San Antonio’s Mike Budenholzer, though Budenholzer said he was not looking to leave San Antonio.

Adelman wanted to stay. Imagine being told that you can come back to your job only if you trained your succesor, lol. that's effed up. Anyway, It seems to me that they want Finch for the future.

10. meh

meh Contributing Member

Wait, when an employee's contract is up, and the two sides could not come to an agreement on the terms of a new contract, that is considered "fired"?

Does this mean Morey fired Dragic 2 years ago?

11. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Yup and he shouldn't have.

12. RocketsJumer

RocketsJumer Member

But I wouldn't want CD to be the GM if Lebron was here, especially not in this CBA. CD, in all his glory as a big man guru, wasn't a great GM in my opinion, especially later in his career. He had a prime Tracy McGrady and a young superstar in Yao in 2005, and surrounded the them with average veterans on their last legs in Jon Barry, Bob Sura, Juwan Howard, David Wesley and such. Don't get me wrong, I loved the 2005 square because of their veteran savvy but their was no way we were going to compete with that roster.

Other bad moves done by CD:
    - Traded Mike James for Rafer Alston. James averaged 20+ points the next season and we were stuck with a street ball legend who's NBA weakness was getting to the rim and finishing.
    - Gave a huge extension to Kevin Willis after one preseason game
    - The Pippen signing
    - The Barkley Trade
    - Stromile Swift signing

I even think the Rudy Gay trade with Swift for Battier was a mistake. I loved having Battier here, no doubt. But the Rockets needed the athleticism and needed to push the ball more for easy buckets more than anything else after the 2006 season. Think back to 2006, with the possibility of having a TMac - Rudy Gay combo with Yao Ming? The Rockets wanted Roy from that draft but having two 6'8 do it all swingmen in TMac and Gay would have been crazy!

Point is, CD made some huge mistakes that the Rockets had to pay for way past his retirement, both the Yao and Tracy contracts for example. I would be comfortable with him as a GM. Morey is the best in the game at building rosters and working trades while keeping an eye for the future. If you gave Morey a team with Lebron, no doubt he would be surrounded with at least a second real superstar and great supporting cast.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

You saw the future and you told us back then the truth.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Dude. Your history is jacked.

First of all, it was kelvin Cato not Kevin Willis.

Do you even see mike James play? He couldn't play with mcgrady .
    The Barkley trade actually put us two wins from making the nba finals.
    We have never been close ever since.