1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rockets Trade Ideas - 2013-14

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Rockets590

Rockets590 Rookie

Do you guys think Jodie Meeks would be a good addition to the team off the bench?

2. fitchjs

fitchjs Member

Makes you wonder how the Boston Celtics 8 game skid might affect any trade offers for Asik?

3. rogower

rogower Member

No kidding. Boston is now twelve games under .500 and very much in the hunt in the Wiggins derby. I am beginning to think this may be design. This not only means that Boston is no longer interested in trading for Omer Asik. This means that Rajon Rondo is in play.

A look at advanced stats reveals the two obvious positions that need to be improved:

- Starting PG
    - Backup PF/C

A look at the roster reveals who and what is expendable:

- Jeremy Lin
    - Omer Asik
    - Donatas Motiejunas
    - Isaiah Canaan
    - Odds and ends received from Portland in the Thomas Robinson trade
    - Houston's 2014 first round pick

Rajon Rondo is likely the best PG who will be on the market between now and the February 20 trade deadline. A nice backup PF/C who is extremely available, and at a reasonable price, is Spencer Hawes. Here is a complicated five-team deal that nets Rondo and Hawes:

Omer Asik and filler (Luke Ridnour's expiring contract) to Phoenix;

Jeremy Lin and filler (Dionte Christmas) to Milwaukee;

Donatas Motiejunas, Ekpe Udoh (expiring contract), the rights to Kostas Papanikolaou, and one or more second round picks (from Houston) to Philadelphia;

Emeka Okafor (expiring contract), two first round picks (one from Phoenix, one from Houston), and a second round pick (from Milwaukee) to Boston;

Rajon Rondo, Spencer Hawes, and filler (Marshon Brooks, who is likely waived by Houston) to Houston

After waiving the terrible Marshon Brooks and bringing back Marcus Camby (who appears tobe waiting for the Rockets to clear a roster spot for him), here is your revised Rockets roster:

Starting lineup

PG Rajon Rondo (36 minutes/game)
    SG James Harden (36 min/g)
    SF Chandler Parsons (36 min/g)
    PF Terrence Jones (36 min/g)
    C Dwight Howard (36 min/g)

The rest of the rotation

Spencer Hawes (24 min/g)
    Patrick Beverley (24 min/g)
    Omri Casspi (12 min/g)

The end of the bench

Francisco Garcia
    Aaron Brooks
    Greg Smith
    Ronnie Brewer
    Marcus Camby

Stashed in the developmental league

Isaiah Canaan
    Robert Covington

4. CertifiedTroll

I like this idea but two things are probably going to put a kink in it.

A) Is that enough for Phili to deal Hawes?
    B) Will Rondo be the same player/ be healthy?

5. rogower

rogower Member

I don't think Philly gets much for Hawes. Hawes will be an unrestricted free agent this summer, so whoever gets him may just be renting him. Also, Philly likely is not interested in re-signing him so they will want to simply take what they can get. Unrestricted free agents-to-be aren't ever going to fetch much. We know that Utah wasn't offered anything besides second round picks for Paul Millsap and Al Jefferson last February; if they had been offered first rounders, we would have known, because Utah would have accepted those offers. Utah wound up letting them both walk for nothing, which is a mistake Sam Hinkie is too smart to make.

Obviously this all depends on Rondo's recovery. Boston clearly intends on auditioning him to prospective buyers in early February. So we'll find out soon enough.

6. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

Can we nab some of the Laker scrubs for a 2nd round pick? Like Dmo, Brewer, and NY's 2nd rd pick for Kaman, Johnson, and Henry? It's not like they're trying to win anything.

Do you also think we could nab KG for Asik? I think KG would waive his NTC to come play with us and would definitely upgrade our overall defense as well as give us another vet presence. His contract also expires when the big FA's come out.

7. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Well, does Rondo hinder the tank? Definitely not while he doesn't play. And he's bound to be rusty when he comes back.

It doesn't seem like anything has changed to me. Danny Ainge seems to think a lot like Morey. He wants those foundational players. Rondo is one, when healthy, and he's still relatively young. Some mediocre/late picks aren't likely to turn into a player like that. Unless the deal involves a high pick or a great young prospect, i.e. someone who might replace Rondo as that foundational player, why do it.

The whole situation reminds of '07. Pierce, injuries, hype around the draft (Oden/Durant), a lot of losing.

8. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Sure.

9. rogower

rogower Member

The key term here is "scrubs."

Bad teams are bad because they have bad players. The Lakers have actually played way over their heads this season (presumably because of good coaching and luck) despite their bad players. These are bad players. Chris Kaman should have been out of the league 2-3 years ago. C'mon, people

10. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

I'm just trying to attempt to beef up our really lackluster bench by trading our own scrubs and a 2nd round pick that's not looking that great anymore. Any of those scrubs are better than Brewer. He's atrocious.

11. wazzupmane?

wazzupmane? Contributing Member

What's up everybody! Just wanted to add another trade scenario to bolster the roster. Tell me what you think. http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=n5jwhqq.
    I figured we needed some 3 point shooting which Novak and Hawes can provide. Some rebound and rim protection from Amir Johnson and the return of Kyle Lowry. Not sure if I posted the link correctly. I read cluthfans everyday but rarely post so forgive my rookieness. I'm looking to get hang of it.

12. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I think we are getting too much of a return in this scenario, and I don't know if it's a good thing to reunite Lowry with Mchale.

13. gaspar

gaspar Member

The Suns need Frye and Tucker much more than they need Asik.

14. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

If this Asik situation lingers into February...

Houston out: Asik
    Houston in: Channing Frye

Phoenix out: Frye
    Phoenix in: Jeff Green

Boston out: Green
    Boston in: Asik

Why Houston does it: To finally turn the page and get something of value in return for a player that's been a non-factor this year. Frye isn't going to put you over the top, but he's a catch-and-shoot floor spacer that would be invaluable off of the bench. His +/- numbers are outstanding and he's become a decent defender. Basically, a much cheaper version of Ryan Anderson.

Why Phoenix does it: They've let it be known they were willing to dangle Frye in an effort to help facilitate a three team deal involving Asik. Green has been inconsistent, but he's a better player than anybody Phoenix currently has at either forward position. Given the way Green went absolutely nuts in the playoffs last year, could be a worthwhile gamble for a team trying to make some noise in the postseason.

Why Boston does it: Their interest in Asik has been no secret. Likewise, their frustrations with Green's up-and-down play is no secret either. Trading their best scorer severely weakens them and makes their drop to the bottom that much more likely. They've lost 8 in a row (1-9 in their last 10). Tankapalooza. Not to mention, they shed the final year of Green's contract.

15. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

^
    If Houston grabbed Green instead, it would bring 2 of the 3 Broingtons back together.

16. JamalP.

JamalP. Member

Hou out:Asik, DMO, Brewer, Bev., Garcia, Greg Smith
    Hou in: Frye, Keith Bogans, Avery Bradley, Kravstov, Dionte Christmas

Pho out:Frye, Okafor, Kravstov, Christmas, first round pick to Boston
    Pho in:K. Hump, G. Wallace, J. Crawford, Faverani, Garcia

Bos in:Okafor, Asik, DMO, Brewer, Smith Bev.
    Bos out: K. Hump, G. Wallace, Faverani, J. Crawford,

Hou starting five: Bradley,Harden,Parson,Jones,Howard
    Bench: J. Lin 6th man, Brooks 7th man, Frye solid 8th man, 9th man Casspi, 10th man Bogans and gamble on 10th man Kravstov feeling out swing, sg, and center back up.

Leaves a possible trade of J. Lin and 1st rounder for Garnett (swing for the fence move)....
    remainder roster: Camby, Christmas, Canaan, Covington remainder of 15 man roster

17. wadero

wadero Member

Can we just trade Asik to Philly for Turner and Moultrie. Works for us and them get us a Wing to Spell Harden and 4/5 In Moultrie

18. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Houston trade with the HornCats:

Josh McRoberts and Michael Kid Gilchrist to Houston, for Omer Asik, Garcia and draft picks.

It would suck to spend draft pick collararal in a trade, but I think MKG would be worth it. The trade is dependent on Asik eventually being healthy and the BuzzCats being in the playoff hunt still when he is.

However, MKG would be a good defensive wing off the bench for this team right now, as well as a great trade chip in the future, if not a contributor. McRoberts would be a huge help to our big rotation, and would be the actual steal of the trade. He can spread the floor, is a good passer, and can legitimately play PF or Center.

The HornetCats would meanwhile get a legit starting Center to help cover up for Al Jefferson's defense, as well as future picks. It would help them win now (which is important to them) as well as give them value for MKG.

19. basketballholic

I'd rather send both Asik and Lin along with DMO and Jones and Brewer to Charlotte for Ben Gordon's contract, Brendan Haywood, Cody Zeller, Jeff Adrien, and a future first round pick.

20. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

But that would remove two current rotation players while adding one at the most, and would kill our chances to compete in the postseason this year. Zeller would seem to be the positive of that trade, as well as the cap space this off season, but I think we can build a championship roster without sacrificing the ability to compete this year. Also, Zeller? MKG could help us now, and I believe in him more than Zeller, and McRoberts is better than Zeller right now -- especially considering Howard is already on the team (spacing).