1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Lin making the case for being a starter?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by trugoy, Jan 1, 2014.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

He couldn't drop 19 and 6 on the Hawks tonight apparently and they have a worse record than the Suns. Doh.

2. CometsWin

Wut? Lin stepping on the line is a coaching problem? I think it's maybe a lack of court awareness problem. Coaching problem... Lol. Hey Jeremy, don't step on the freaking line on three point attempts. Problem solved.

3. Ynnis888

Ynnis888 Member

When Jlin goes duck face, it means his playing inspired basketball. I have not seen it this season. :(

4. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

12 of Conley's 31 were FTs. He also played 7 minutes more than Dragic, suggesting Dragic was not on him for every possession. I'm not hailing Dragic as a superstar, but it's just really silly to check a box score and throw out numbers that are really quite meaningless without context/having watched the game.

5. bbsuser

bbsuser Member

12 FTs from Conley?! That was very impressive.

6. KlutchQT

My mistake... 6. LOL. 12 would be impressive, indeed.

7. Stats

Stats Member

Was visiting Brooklyn and got in on the Heat/Nets double overtime. Livingston's been playing like a stud since Williams has been out. What's changed? His chance to prove himself. I was super surprised. I'm sure there's stats somewhere, but eye test caught multiple plays either designed for him or he just took it.

I did some quick analytics because me and a couple of other guys were talking about Lin's minutes correlating with his performance. Our argument was over whether McHale gives him more minutes when he's doing well or he does well when he gets more minutes.

So I did a quick scatter plot, which I'll post some time this weekend for all the starters for this season. Lin is the ONLY starter (Howard, Parsons, Harden, Tjones, Lin) whose playing time significantly correlated with TS % and TOV. Will release what I did so others can play with it. Will also get bench players in there and PBev, so don't want to draw conclusions yet.

That said, if indeed Lin is being treated differently, or feels like he is. Not surprised. It's human nature. Fans are all expecting basketball players to be better than themselves and superhuman, but they aren't. If your boss at work b****es you out at work or micromanages the crap out of you, chances are you will feel demoralized long-term. If your boss is actually normal but you even feel disrespected, same thing.

Regardless, as a Rockets fan, Lin needs to get his crap together. And Bev needs to hurry up and get uninjured. And can we get Millsap?

8. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

So what you're saying is Mchale told him to step on the line? Or that he stepped on the line because Mchale never told him not to? Yeah he was surprised, but still it's not like it's the first time he has stepped on the line while shooting a 3. Next argument, please.

9. timyeung

timyeung Member

LOHs and LOFs both have something in common: They both don't want Lin playing with the Rockets. While Harden is busy padding his stats to try to prove he is an all star, this is the BS Lin has to deal with:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjLSlLm2AS0

10. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Spoken like a true LOF

11. KlutchQT

Please don't tell me you think Lin is the only player in the NBA who gets shorted on stats. The league is aware that these misses happen fairly regularly... if I'm not mistaken, they have a mechanism where you can report the missed activity and they will credit the player upon review/confirmation. You should look into the process, if it bothers you that much.

And if Harden is just padding his stats, I'm glad he is. We definitely wouldn't have won any of the games we have recently, otherwise.

12. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

There is nothing like a LOH. There are the deluded LOF's and then there are the long term Rockets fans.

13. King1

King1 Contributing Member

You guys are absolutely absurd. A player who quits on his coach is also quitting on his teammates. That's as weak and mentally fragile as it gets

14. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

I have no idea what you're referencing there, there was only 1 block and 1 steal in that video. I know this is probably a stupid question to ask, but do you know how a steal is determined?

15. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

Let's get back to the OP's question.

The problem I have with lin being a starter is purely to do with the defensive end, and more specifically the fact that he is the no.1 culprit on this team at helping 1 pass away. This is a cardinal sin after statistical studies have shown the low percentage play that it is. I do feel a bid bad that he is often relegated to being a spot shooter as it's not something he is at all, however when we get healthy and he is leading the secondary he will fullish. Don't quit on him morey mchale and clutchfans, we all know what he can do and the potential he has shown.
    Verdict: 6th man when we are healthy

16. baki

baki Member

Have seen this a lot on the NYK team with Jason Kidd on it, probably to facilitate a weak teammate on defense. I agree that Lin does it a lot and wish that he would just stick to his man instead of covering his teammates so much.

17. Haharocket

Haharocket Member

Sure there are Loh on clutchfan and dreamshake but they pretend to be rocket fan and come on here and post random stuff. And last I check this is a topic about lin starting not a place to discus Loh or lof.

18. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

The old Harden is just an empty stat padder and Lin is the poor victim line.

One of the dumber claims of the irrational, but one of my favorites.

19. Zergling

Zergling Member

I like how Lin is advertised as a combo guard - someone that can provide scoring power and play point guard at the same time.

Too bad he's only contributing 13% of our overall scoring and 20% of our overall assists despite averaging 30 minutes a game.

20. CometsWin

It's a distinction without a difference. LOF's will simultaneously tell you that defense and spot up shooting are not Lin's strengths but that he should start even if the starting point guard's primary role is defense and spot up shooting. AND that in order to utilize Lin's strengths in the starting role, the offense should change and make him the primary ball handler, facilitator, and scorer even if the starting lineup features two players and an easily arguable third player in Parsons that are better players than Lin. AND, any reluctance to start Lin or not change the offense to benefit him is a racial conspiracy ranging from coaches and players from McHale to Harden, Casspi, and whoever else touches the ball too much.