1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Add Ricky Rubio to the list of Wolves draft mistakes

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Ming The King, Jan 10, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Nook

Nook Member

Yes, I agree with you. IF he learns how to either hit 3's (Ryan Bowen) or hit 43-44% from the floor, he can be a pretty high calibur player. If he has a shot that teams have to respect, his free throw attempts will increase and his passing success will increase as defenses will not be able to play off him.

However, he has had a shooting issue for 5 years now. It killed him in Europe and has in the NBA as well. That tells me that either he HAS worked on his shot and it just isn't going to happen OR he has not worked on his shot and has issues that go beyond shooting.

2. oldgunrules

oldgunrules Member

3. crimmy88

crimmy88 Member

Our guards are better because theyre at least a threat on offense.

Ricky is good at 2 things and thats finding open passing lanes and defense. Other than that, he stinks all around :\

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Disclaimer: I've always thought he was overrated and never bought the hype. Rolled my eyes at those who did.

That said, I'd gladly take him on this team if Minnesota gave up on him.

His struggles are very similar to Jason Kidd's early in his career.

Bottom line: we turn the ball over too much and Rubio is one of the best playmakers in the game. He's huge, you can trust him with the ball, plays great defense and is an average shooter from long distance.

He would easily be our new starter.

5. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Eh I wouldn't call him a bust. I don't know how you could even say that. He can definitely play. Yeah, his finishing and overall scoring is abysmal, but I still believe he can become a halfway decent scoring threat in the near future. And other than that, he's a great defensive player and one of the top 5 passers in the league.

Now he's no way in Earth ever gonna be worth a Max contract, but I think he can be a high caliber player if he worked on his finishing and shooting.

6. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Remember: Morey wanted to flush the roster in order to get a chance to draft Rubio.

Adelman's response: "Are you trying to get me fired?!" (For handing me a tanking team.)

A shame about Rubio.

7. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I honestly think his defense would drop off if he learned to shoot and became more effective on offense. Right now he has good defensive instincts but he's also allowed to focus all his energy on that side of the court because of his lack of offense. What is bad he is shooting mid 30% from the field and most of these shots are wide open. At least he is a solid FT shooter though.

8. Classic

Classic Member

9. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I knew the Jason Kidd reference would pop up soon. Happens every time whenever Rubio's shooting woes are discussed. EVERYTIME.

10. Convictedstupid

I would trade for him because I do think his shooting can be fixed but christ almighty is it bad this season.

11. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

He's much better than Bev and probably a little better than Lin. Rubio is basically Bev except he's a great play maker, can drive the lane and put pressure on defenses (even though he can't finish), and a more reliable defender due to his length and skills.

12. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Well, it's a fair comparison given their size, playmaking skills, ceiling and struggles early on in their career.

Also, if we were to trade for him, his first task would be improving his stand-still three point shooting. Right now he's average, but if he could get those percentages up into the high 30's or low 40's, it's a win for us. Either way, he's still mainly lurking out on the perimeter which makes your theory that his defense would struggle with improved offense dubious - to say the very least.

13. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

Can make some nice passing highlights... and that's about it.

14. apcgamb24

apcgamb24 Member

Kidd is a career 40% shooter. I'm not saying Rubio will ever be even close to the legend he was but their skill sets are largely similar. I don't believe Rubio will continue to be this inept offensively for the rest of his career and if he can finish a little better and hit his open jumpers more consistently, I could see Rubio being at least a 40% shooter. I'd say at the very least be can be a slightly poor man's Kidd

15. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Their big problems are (1) bench, (2) very little rim protection or transition defense from starting big men, (3) two poor shooters in the starting lineup besides Rubio (Brewer and Pek).

Rubio is a very good defender and he's brilliant at getting his teammates shots despite his shooting problems. It would be great if he was a passable scorer, that would make him one of the very best points in the league. But the Wolves should make better use of what he gives them. Defense at guard position is nice, but you have to have a paint protector to make it work at the team level; look at the Grizzlies right now. Bad shooting from the point guard can be overcome, but it's much harder to do if teams can also leave Brewer open at 3 and help off him. And they could really use a Lin or better yet a scoring wing for that bench, because their starters are playing well despite all the flaws, but their bench wastes it.

16. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Yea it was pretty ludicrous how high Morey was on him. There was a point he was literally about to give everything up but I'm glad he didn't.

If Rubio would be traded to this team, he would be the worst fit PG on our roster.

The dude simply CAN'T shoot...its amazing. Teams always play the Wolves by just leaving him open all day.

17. flamingdts

flamingdts Member

I would rather have 3/4 of Lin than 1 whole Rubio.

18. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Contributing Member

Last I heard,
    INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTARS

can improve their jumpshot after 23.

He's a ******
    INTERNATIONAL SUPERSTAR.

All about confidence.

19. monkinamr2

monkinamr2 Contributing Member

Pretty optimistic for a summer. Putting up a billion shots is going to take at least 31.7 years(11,574 days), and that's assuming he puts up a shot a second non-stop.

1 person likes this.
  20. SexyButIgnorant

For what it's worth, Rubio is shooting 34 percent from behind the arc this season, Bev is shooting 33 percent.

Rubio is on the cusp of brilliance, just needs to add the shot. I'd take him in a second. Considering he is two years younger than both Bev and Lin, a much better defender than either, and a much better passer than either, this is a legit no-brainer honestly.