1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Thoughts on The Starters (NBATV) ?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by OldfanofTmac, Jan 9, 2014.

1. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

The only thing I like about them is their social media ad

2. meadowlark

meadowlark Member

Not impressed.

Every time I watch it I'm reminded that here in Houston folks would rather talk about the looser Astros and the looser Texans rather than the winning Rockets.

3. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I've only watched a few clips, but I'm not too impressed.

The last one I watched, they were discussing who should start at guard instead of Kobe in the All-Star game. One of the guys said he would still choose Kobe. That was enough for me to never want to watch again.

4. ParaSolid

ParaSolid Member

I like it a lot. More power to them.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There needs to be off-the-wall opinions at times. Think about how boring it would be to listen to 4 guys expressing safe opinions on every topic that comes up.

6. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I get that, but I'm not really a fan of people stating controversial opinions just to controversial. I'm extremely jaded toward the vast majority of sports new outlets, though.

7. Awesome

Awesome Member

I think its just a bunch of guys who don't take themselves too serious and wouldn't be much different than a group of guys sitting around talking about stuff without the yelling and ranting you see on BSPN shows for the most part.

Its okay, Better than listening to Skip Bayless for an hour

8. Pumpedupkicks

Pumpedupkicks Member

Not sure why but I liked TBJ way better than the Starters. I've always tuned in via podcast, still can't bother with watching the actual show. Also, while I never missed an episode of TBJ, I'm now 2 weeks behind on the Starters and I usually never make it back so I just delete them. Once again, not sure what's different, but it's no longer a "must listen" to everyday.

9. nono

nono Member

I really like it

10. DocRock

DocRock Member

I liked them better as TBJ when it was just Skeets & Taz, a guy off camera, and new song clips every episode. It was still really good after it moved from thebasketballjones.net, but it got watered down as it grew.

Its like going from the raw chemistry of Jalen & Jacoby, to the semi-awkward combo of Jalen & Simmons to NBA Countdown where they're talking heads.

11. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Basketball jones were great. ****ing hilarious.

But they are too filtered now, they should have fought harder to have a lot of their original stuff in their.

12. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

It's also really early, guys. And I'm not saying that because they're my friends (Trey married my wife and I a few years back).

I too had struggles listening to just the podcast, but for someone that works at home, the show is the perfect thing to have on while I push back from work and work on stuff around the house post 9-to-5, and before that night's games.

13. BigBenito

BigBenito Member

I miss all the old drops.

14. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

All I had to see was one of their adds on League Pass to know it would be abysmal.

If it's true... My mind is blown they are earning 2 million a year. Literally being obliterated right now.

15. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

would love to give it more of a go Kelly, actually i watched it every day if it wasnt so damn hard, stupid NBA just wont load whole episode onto the APPLETV app.......

16. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

As tbj I couldn't miss an episode, I still listen to the podcast daily now, but can take it or leave it... I miss the old segments like pun gun, wanker of the week p, Tass's end tag lines stink and the drops now being redundant makes it too formal. Shame really it was genuine do not miss daily in the past for me

17. durvasa

Today's episode was audio-only, and a nice return to last year's format. Matt Austin was back with the gang, drops were back, and pun-gun was back. They also explained why the format has changed this year.

18. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

What was the explanation?

19. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Besides the podcast, TBJ used to put a video feed online as well. Definitely a different format, but its not like these guys have never been on TV.

20. durvasa

Old format doesn't work well on television.