1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Lakers @ Rockets 1/8/2014

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Jan 6, 2014.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

"He didn't really know all the X's and O's, but he had a good assistant coaching staff that was helping him out with a lot of plays," Carter said. "He kind of let us run whatever we wanted. He was trying to draw plays, and it was like a little Etch A Sketch. Like a kid just messing around. He just gave the clipboard to the assistant coaches sometimes."

Informed of those comments before Wednesday's game, McHale said he definitely comes from the "seat-of-the-pants" school of coaching.

http://www.twincities.com/timberwolves/ci_11189664

This is worth a million posts

2. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

Harden played this game mostly like SG in the 2nd half, that why the rocket look good.
    he cut , he moved without the ball, he ENDED plays instead of INITIATE them.

when Harden play like PG and try to play make which 80% of the time translate into heroball/iso/ugly game (atleast from my p.o.v -> HATE heroball) the Rockets look bad.

dont take me wrong, Harden is a superstar and probably THE BEST SG in the league , but he need to play as one and be more invested in D !!!, and not fall into heroball style.

3. Nook

Nook Member

#1 The Rockets do run plays and do have a system. It wasn't developed by McHale.

#2 Last time, who do you want in place of McHale?

4. RRockets

RRockets Member

Overall he played good D today

5. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

Is that last sentence really necessary? Are you trying to label me or something? If you are don't play that **** with me, I've always cheered for every player that's suited up in rockets red, white & in our darker days, a weird dark blue. Scottie Pippen, Tracy Mcgrady, Stromile Swift, Royce White, Mo Taylor (etc) some of the most hated Rockets ever, so you get the point.

Jeremy's a good guy & he was playing lights out earlier in the season, but now he's very inconsistent for a player that we consider an OFFENSIVE option.. Not to mention his defense is non existent, he needs to play better. Patrick Beverley is a player that is very consistent on the DEFENSIVE end. I don't expect him to score 20 points but he does what he's expected to do on a nightly basis while Jeremy does not.

I really don't understand why THAT is so hard to understand.

6. bbsuser

bbsuser Member

"Not to mention his defense is non existent" I think this is off. Lin didn't have a good game, but to say his defense is "non existent" is too much...

7. bingsha10

bingsha10 Member

The rockets have arguably the best center and best sg in the league, and when the rockets get bounced out of the playoffs by the clippers in the 1st round this year the reason will be because they aren't talented enough?

8. RRockets

RRockets Member

Lin did not shoot well tonight.

9. Obito

I think I've counted one good defensive game he's had all year & I've watched every single game. It was the one after that 2nd Maverick's loss. He ball watches, goes the wrong way on screens, fouls at the basket, it's non existent & just as bad as Hardens.

10. galpeleg

galpeleg Member

yup harden played decent def TODAY

i hope he will continue like today and wont regress to the game style he had vs the Knicks

11. Doppleganger

Doppleganger Rookie

You're selectively watching then, because he recently did well against Parker, Conley and Holiday.

12. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Harden had two bad defensive plays this game.

Ball watching on a back door cut and following Marshall over a screen while guarding Marshall. Other than that, he played really well on D. Great player.

13. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Fixed. Oops.

14. The Jabberwock

Go back to the video and try to find points scored on Casspi...

Please don't take my word for it - I insist you check for yourself.
    ... Keep looking... Go on... :rolleyes:

Weird, isn't it?
    Only 4 points were made on him all night, though he was guarding mostly bigger guys (6'10, 6'11 & even 7'0).
    (J.Hill: a contested hook at the end of the 3rd, C.Kaman: a contested jump 3 minutes into the 4th)
    And that's from about 15 attempts, in about 21 minutes of PT.
    Jinx? Luck? Effective D? Take your pick.

Try to find any other Rocket who had such luck tonight
    (Even an elite defender & rim protector like DH)

Well - would you be fair enough to appologize to the guy? :)

15. bbsuser

bbsuser Member

I think the defense Jeremy played in the 3rd quarter kept him in the game, or he might not have been in the 4th at all. the "Marshall Madness" was contained today.

16. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

I dont know man.... I think he played really good 1 on 1 defense on KM tonight. Did you see that sick block when KM tried to drive by him?

17. CasaDolce

CasaDolce Rookie

So happy we won this game for Dwight :):)!

18. Obito

It's Kendall Marshall. This road trip won't be too hard for him match up wise with the exception of John Wall in DC. Let's see how he fairs.

19. The Jabberwock

He had 4 steels too.

The man can really defend when he's focused on it (which is on and off, sadly...)

20. ThisVoice

ThisVoice Member

Yea man, I think we should see how he defend John Wall in the up coming trip. I don't think his defense is like you said " non existence" since he did really well against Parker and Conley. Lets see if he could be more consistence on both ends of the floor.

Harden was a beast tonight, he is a superstar in the making