1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Official Fire McHale Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by FTW Rockets FTW, Apr 19, 2012.

1. Billionzz

Billionzz Contributing Member

Does anybody really think that the Rockets will bring back Mchale next year?

I find that hard to believe, he just sucks. He is the worst Rockets coach since Don Chaney and I liked Chaney a lot better than Mchale.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ironically, chaney's rocket teams were also atrocious with defensive rotations and lacked overall discipline…..and chaney was an ex-celtic :grin:

3. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think he will be back. And Don Chaney was coach of the year with the Rockets.

4. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

McHale will be back. People really do not understand that the responsibilities of a head coach have changed. NBA teams budget millions of dollars for assistant coaches. Today head coaches are responsible for press conferences, team events, radio shows, management of their staff, the players, and many instances the scouting department. They are the face of the franchise. They are also the shoulder that all of the players and coaches cry on. The assistant coaches are expected to pick up the slack, since the head coach can only spend 30%-40% of their time actually coaching.

And I have a question. Who is more responsible for San Antonio's success, Pop or Duncan? Pop is an abusive dictatorial SOB. Duncan has unwaveringly supported him. Pop and Duncan arrived at the same time and rumors say that when one retires the other will too. So we may never know.

Doc Rivers never had respect as a head coach until he suddenly had Garnett and Allen fall into his lap to complement Peirce. He managed to win just one chip with three sure fire hall of famers. Now somehow he is a coaching maven.

Did Phil Jackson ever win anything without Jordan or Kobe? Isn't it difficult to separate a head coach from their star players? Did you just purchase a quantum computer so you can answer these intractable problems?

5. cw3k

cw3k Member

The Knicks beats the Rocket if not because the Rockets paid JR under the table.

6. meh

meh Contributing Member

Then the Knicks would've beaten the Rockets by 3 points. They beat the Spurs by 4. Beat the Mavs by 12.

My ranking does not change. Mike Woodson is the GOAT coach.

7. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Conspiracy theories just mark you as paranoid. Nothing more. Well maybe scitzo.

8. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

You have no idea what's going on. You are completely in the dark. But pass judgement anyway. Clutchfans at its worst.

9. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I'm up for a tip jar bet if you are.

10. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

Do you think Duncan would be free of major injuries under McHale for 16 years?

Do you think Manu would last 11 seasons under McHale, free of major injuries?

How about Parker for 12 years? This is what he had to say about playing under Pop:
    Those guys play for less $$$ BECAUSE of Pop and the way he prolongs their career.

11. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

How many minutes do you think Duncan played when he was 24?

12. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

They play different positions.

Edit: why don't you make the Harden vs Manu comparison? They play the same position and have the same game.

13. Karolik

Karolik Member

Please tell me people comparing pop to Mchale are joking?

14. meh

meh Contributing Member

Duncan played more minutes than Harden to start his career and GOT INJURED and the whole minutes limit thing came as a result.

Manu has been injury prone HIS ENTIRE CAREER. And he was injured FREQUENTLY while playing under Pop.

Parker got less minutes simply because Pop treated him like Jeremy Lin.

Get your facts straight. Pop was running Duncan into the ground until Duncan broke and fell apart. Because Pop realized that he can't do that to Duncan anymore, and started playing him less.

Every coach in the NBA plays guys like Harden the way McHale does. The result is some get injured while others don't.

15. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

The fact is Pop had changed the way he is coaching.

Pop of old was driving his players to the ground; the same way McHale is driving his players to the ground. The only difference between them? MacHale doesn't realize it and probably won't change the way he is coaching. Until he does, I am on the fire McHale bandwagon.

Manu had his nagging injuries and his minutes are limited but Harden has had his nagging injuries. His minutes are still high.

16. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Why is that relevant? Do heavy minutes only affect certain positions?

Manu wasn't an NBA player when he was 24, so it's kind of hard to compare.

#5856 WinkFan, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2014
  17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Did you even read what I wrote? Pop changed when it became clear Duncan couldn't handle the minutes. Not the other way around. Hakeem could handle the minutes. So Chaney and Rudy ran him to the ground for his entire career up to his mid-30s. Are you going to bash Rudy for playing the Dream so much in the early-mid 90s because he broke down starting in ~97 season?

Kobe, Wade, Lebron, Durant all players who played ridiculous minutes in their primes and were fine. Do all those coaches like Riley or Phil Jackson deserve to be fired for running their stars into the ground?

18. dantian

dantian Member

Under McHale instead of Pop, TD/Manu/Parker would have not won any title at all. Not to mention the prolonged career issue.

19. jtr

jtr Contributing Member

Yes
    Yes
    Yes
    And of course you have no evidence of the last statement, but are the Rockets that far from players signing for a few million less to play with a winning franchise?

20. kuku

kuku Contributing Member

We can all agree that the optimal minutes vary with players. Kobe, KD, and LeBron have insane offseason work ethic and tune their bodies for 38+ minutes/game.

I said it before that Harden is NOT conditioned for more than 36 min/game, despite his young age. He is breaking down right in front of our eyes after 1/2 season of grind last year. If you can not see this, then I don't know what to tell you.

The point I've been driving for the last few posts: Do you agree that McHale playing Harden 38+ min, despite all his nagging injuries, is not best for Harden's career and the future of this franchise?